IJF Glenn Production

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Hanzberger

IJF Glenn Production

Post by Hanzberger »

I have a multi part question.
How many Glenn's do you think I will need over the course of a GC PBEM war?
How many engines should I have in my pool before converting that factory?
Can subs carry the Jake instead?
Scenario 1
PBEM
Thanks
d
EDIT Has anyone built the Q1W1 Lorna and found it to be useful? It uses the same engine. (Hitachi Amakaze)
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
Puhis

RE: IJF Glenn Production

Post by Puhis »

Subs can use Jake if you play PDU on. But that's "gamey", historically it was impossible.

About 50 Glenns is enough, I think.
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Ok, Thanks Puhis. I will stick with the Glenn. 122 engines in the pool, time to convert.

Japan AC wire chart here
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Build out your engine stock available at the beginning of the war and you should be OK. 122 is probably enough. I've lost some 50 to OPS, Flak or A2A CAP and it's August 1943. YMMV.
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

a) starting engine pool is almost enough unless you put them in harms way against cap

b) don't ever put Jake or Alf or Pete, only GLEN aboard submarines since B1 and A1 could
only fit Glen into their hangars, and on their catapults

c) you can use M6A Seiran on AM and STo submarines

d) Q1W Tokai is useless, as it was IRL
not worth the supplies to build the factories
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I think 30-50 Glenn is enough. IRL they only built about 100 all in.

The Seiran is a nice plane and when thay come along it would be nice to replace all the Glenn anyway. BUT I have bever got that far.

In my game PBEM SCN2 I have lost only about 5 Glenn and it late june 42

m
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Yes, I build-out my Hitachi Amakaze engine pool, and You will have more than enough E14Y1 airframes to last the war. If not latter in the war when you have more than enough spare factories, you can start building more engines/airframes.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I use Glens on recon and loose a lot of them.  After '42, it is about the only role that I use them in ... long range recon of allied bases.  I'll lose more than 10 a month from 1/43 on ... so I need to build more engines to keep pools.
Pax
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I think 30-50 Glenn is enough. IRL they only built about 100 all in.

The Seiran is a nice plane and when thay come along it would be nice to replace all the Glenn anyway. BUT I have bever got that far.

In my game PBEM SCN2 I have lost only about 5 Glenn and it late june 42

m

In my PBEM I've lost about 20 Glenns and it's 3/1943. It depends how you use them. My Glenns are usually flying naval search, range 2 or 3 and 50 % rest. I rarely use them as recon planes, although most of my Glenn pilots have good recon skill.

No matter what, IMO they are pretty useless planes, as both naval search and recon.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I use Glens on recon and loose a lot of them.  After '42, it is about the only role that I use them in ... long range recon of allied bases.  I'll lose more than 10 a month from 1/43 on ... so I need to build more engines to keep pools.

I really think that this is the best use for these aircraft and the subs that carry them. More valuable than any ships they might sink. I hate Glens snooping my rear bases.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Great Pax, now you tell me~! [8|]

Japan AC wire chart here
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

Great Pax, now you tell me~! [8|]
Sorry! We talked this through in Mike's AAR a few months back. You may want to go back a read through it. There were a number of opinions expressed, mine certainly was not the dominant.
Pax
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

Careful with Glen on recon,

the planes may seem disposable,
but reconnoitering bases from close range means putting
the precious B1 submarines in range of enemy ASW ships and patrol planes

works better in rear areas than large bastions
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

I will do that. I didn't expect them to be very good doing recon on real bases. Thanks for the tips guys~!

Japan AC wire chart here
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I always use the Glenn subs ahead of where my CV will go , at least 4 of them ( with another 4 attack subs mixed in ) 10-15 hexes ahead ( just outside jake range f the CV group). That is a fantastic use for them. I usually set them at 40% fly at 4 hexes.

I use them on naval search and sometimes on Port recon ( but fly high ). When they do port recon it can be because my Betties are needing some meat.

I think these subs are some of the best units in the game. I always put low agression commanders in them as I prefer they do not attack although sometimes needs must. I am hoping the get the Seiran FP in this game and that is an interesting plane.
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

Regarding Seirans : I think you should check your upgrade to path in your tracker, I don't think any unit is upgradable to it, except the 3 you get.
Regarding Lorna- you get the much better FM-3 radar - compared to the H-6 radar (but the H-6 arrives in June 44, the FM3 in june 45) You get long rang and the H-6 on the G3M3 Nell, MAD (June 44 also) on the Helen 1a and both MAD and H-6 on the Kate B5N2 TB. So until June 1945 I don't see any advantage in the Lorna

Edit - you get 5 Seiran Units with 5 subs, no FP group is upgradable according to tracker
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

the seiran is for subs?
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

http://combinedfleet.com/ships/i-400
yup, the world's largest subs back then- 3 planes each
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Yes I know thanks - I meant all subs - the Glenn on subs should upgrade, does it not???
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

They do not in stock/BB lite/ RA 3/4/2.

The AM subs carry two also - but you only get two of these, can the be resized on a CS (like Chitose) , probably, and then you could put them on other subs.

Since you are playing RA 4.2 and I dont have that loaded in, I can't check in witp tracker - but you should be able to confirm if only those 5 units arrive and can convert by selecting aircraft / Model :TB / Seiran
Special : upgrade to or upgrade to path
none of the Glen units were listed
or you can select a Glen unit and check out its upgrade path in game or in tracker, Seiran is not listed
Size-wise I think the Seiran could fit sideways folded in a Glen sub hangar, but it was almost 3 meters longer.
Ps. And yes using the Mizuho to upsize FP units is considered cheating by some, you have to agree on it ahead - usually offer the allies a chance to upgrade their withdrawal units with Buffaloes and Peashooters and take the Lightnings/P-40s/P-49s out of them.
I usually like offering no withdrawals anyway. If allowed, by the way keep the Mizuho as CS. The Chitose class become useful 29 knot CVLs, the Mizuho as a CVL is too slow

Return to “The War Room”