Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IJF Glenn Production

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> IJF Glenn Production Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IJF Glenn Production - 5/26/2012 2:28:34 PM   
Hanzberger

I have a multi part question.
How many Glenn's do you think I will need over the course of a GC PBEM war?
How many engines should I have in my pool before converting that factory?
Can subs carry the Jake instead?
Scenario 1
PBEM
Thanks
d
EDIT Has anyone built the Q1W1 Lorna and found it to be useful? It uses the same engine. (Hitachi Amakaze)

< Message edited by Hanzberger -- 5/26/2012 2:31:27 PM >

Japan AC wire chart here
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
Post #: 1
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 5/26/2012 2:43:52 PM   
Puhis

Subs can use Jake if you play PDU on. But that's "gamey", historically it was impossible.

About 50 Glenns is enough, I think.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 2
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 5/26/2012 3:36:16 PM   
Hanzberger

Ok, Thanks Puhis. I will stick with the Glenn. 122 engines in the pool, time to convert.

Japan AC wire chart here

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 3
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 5/26/2012 4:23:21 PM   
Chickenboy

Build out your engine stock available at the beginning of the war and you should be OK. 122 is probably enough. I've lost some 50 to OPS, Flak or A2A CAP and it's August 1943. YMMV.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 4
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 5/26/2012 8:01:24 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

a) starting engine pool is almost enough unless you put them in harms way against cap

b) don't ever put Jake or Alf or Pete, only GLEN aboard submarines since B1 and A1 could
only fit Glen into their hangars, and on their catapults

c) you can use M6A Seiran on AM and STo submarines

d) Q1W Tokai is useless, as it was IRL
not worth the supplies to build the factories

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 5
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/5/2012 4:25:09 PM   
cavalry

I think 30-50 Glenn is enough. IRL they only built about 100 all in.

The Seiran is a nice plane and when thay come along it would be nice to replace all the Glenn anyway. BUT I have bever got that far.

In my game PBEM SCN2 I have lost only about 5 Glenn and it late june 42

m

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 6
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/5/2012 9:15:12 PM   
DivePac88

Yes, I build-out my Hitachi Amakaze engine pool, and You will have more than enough E14Y1 airframes to last the war. If not latter in the war when you have more than enough spare factories, you can start building more engines/airframes.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 7
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/6/2012 4:41:09 AM   
PaxMondo

I use Glens on recon and loose a lot of them.  After '42, it is about the only role that I use them in ... long range recon of allied bases.  I'll lose more than 10 a month from 1/43 on ... so I need to build more engines to keep pools.

Pax

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 8
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/6/2012 7:37:36 AM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I think 30-50 Glenn is enough. IRL they only built about 100 all in.

The Seiran is a nice plane and when thay come along it would be nice to replace all the Glenn anyway. BUT I have bever got that far.

In my game PBEM SCN2 I have lost only about 5 Glenn and it late june 42

m

In my PBEM I've lost about 20 Glenns and it's 3/1943. It depends how you use them. My Glenns are usually flying naval search, range 2 or 3 and 50 % rest. I rarely use them as recon planes, although most of my Glenn pilots have good recon skill.

No matter what, IMO they are pretty useless planes, as both naval search and recon.

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 9
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/6/2012 2:31:15 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I use Glens on recon and loose a lot of them.  After '42, it is about the only role that I use them in ... long range recon of allied bases.  I'll lose more than 10 a month from 1/43 on ... so I need to build more engines to keep pools.

I really think that this is the best use for these aircraft and the subs that carry them. More valuable than any ships they might sink. I hate Glens snooping my rear bases.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 10
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/7/2012 3:28:56 AM   
Hanzberger

quote:

Great Pax, now you tell me~!

Japan AC wire chart here

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 11
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/7/2012 3:39:29 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

quote:

Great Pax, now you tell me~!

Sorry! We talked this through in Mike's AAR a few months back. You may want to go back a read through it. There were a number of opinions expressed, mine certainly was not the dominant.

Pax

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 12
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/7/2012 4:31:23 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

Careful with Glen on recon,

the planes may seem disposable,
but reconnoitering bases from close range means putting
the precious B1 submarines in range of enemy ASW ships and patrol planes

works better in rear areas than large bastions

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 13
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/7/2012 9:21:30 PM   
Hanzberger

I will do that. I didn't expect them to be very good doing recon on real bases. Thanks for the tips guys~!

Japan AC wire chart here

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 14
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/11/2012 5:06:48 PM   
cavalry

I always use the Glenn subs ahead of where my CV will go , at least 4 of them ( with another 4 attack subs mixed in ) 10-15 hexes ahead ( just outside jake range f the CV group). That is a fantastic use for them. I usually set them at 40% fly at 4 hexes.

I use them on naval search and sometimes on Port recon ( but fly high ). When they do port recon it can be because my Betties are needing some meat.

I think these subs are some of the best units in the game. I always put low agression commanders in them as I prefer they do not attack although sometimes needs must. I am hoping the get the Seiran FP in this game and that is an interesting plane.

< Message edited by cavalry -- 6/11/2012 5:08:07 PM >

(in reply to Hanzberger)
Post #: 15
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/14/2012 9:50:02 AM   
icepharmy

Regarding Seirans : I think you should check your upgrade to path in your tracker, I don't think any unit is upgradable to it, except the 3 you get.
Regarding Lorna- you get the much better FM-3 radar - compared to the H-6 radar (but the H-6 arrives in June 44, the FM3 in june 45) You get long rang and the H-6 on the G3M3 Nell, MAD (June 44 also) on the Helen 1a and both MAD and H-6 on the Kate B5N2 TB. So until June 1945 I don't see any advantage in the Lorna

Edit - you get 5 Seiran Units with 5 subs, no FP group is upgradable according to tracker

< Message edited by icepharmy -- 6/14/2012 9:53:20 AM >

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 16
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/14/2012 10:05:20 AM   
cavalry

the seiran is for subs?

(in reply to icepharmy)
Post #: 17
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/14/2012 10:12:06 AM   
icepharmy

http://combinedfleet.com/ships/i-400
yup, the world's largest subs back then- 3 planes each

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 18
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/14/2012 10:37:43 AM   
cavalry

Yes I know thanks - I meant all subs - the Glenn on subs should upgrade, does it not???

(in reply to icepharmy)
Post #: 19
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/14/2012 11:33:40 AM   
icepharmy

They do not in stock/BB lite/ RA 3/4/2.

The AM subs carry two also - but you only get two of these, can the be resized on a CS (like Chitose) , probably, and then you could put them on other subs.

Since you are playing RA 4.2 and I dont have that loaded in, I can't check in witp tracker - but you should be able to confirm if only those 5 units arrive and can convert by selecting aircraft / Model :TB / Seiran
Special : upgrade to or upgrade to path
none of the Glen units were listed
or you can select a Glen unit and check out its upgrade path in game or in tracker, Seiran is not listed
Size-wise I think the Seiran could fit sideways folded in a Glen sub hangar, but it was almost 3 meters longer.
Ps. And yes using the Mizuho to upsize FP units is considered cheating by some, you have to agree on it ahead - usually offer the allies a chance to upgrade their withdrawal units with Buffaloes and Peashooters and take the Lightnings/P-40s/P-49s out of them.
I usually like offering no withdrawals anyway. If allowed, by the way keep the Mizuho as CS. The Chitose class become useful 29 knot CVLs, the Mizuho as a CVL is too slow

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 20
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/14/2012 11:42:58 AM   
cavalry

Thanks for all the tips I am actually play stock 1+2 at the moment but looking to start RA.

I thought all Glenn subs would upgrade but I do not have the game at the moment - I already stopped the Glenn factory in anticipation...

Thanks for the advice on the CS agree Mizuho is too slow. I noticed slow ships are much more easily hit by torps and bombs in my games. ot sure why upsizing is wrong , you have to do it will all the other CS.

cAV

(in reply to icepharmy)
Post #: 21
RE: IJF Glenn Production - 6/14/2012 12:32:56 PM   
icepharmy

trying looking at the upgrades in tracker, for example some unusual units can convert to NF, also some FP and some not FP can convert to Rufe and Rex (marginally useful as CAP, but better then no CAP until you get an AF1 built). Also to my chagrin I just found out that only one IJN navy landplane TR unit can convert to the Emily (meaning 44 Emily transports max, so no R&D merited there). Some units unexpectedly can convert from transport to fighter or bomber and so on.

FP- cheating, I re-size the second squadron of BBs and CVs as well by transferring them one turn to a size nine AV or Chitose and resizing. Japanese recon/asw capabilities are so terrible I need these 9 or 20 plane size unit to patrol from small islands off the coast of Japan (like Tsushima for example). I hate using landbombers to do the same and my Nells and Betty's can certainly be better employed. There is a downside, you spend a lot of HI and supply building up Jake factories to feed up these squadrons and further deplete your pilot pool

< Message edited by icepharmy -- 6/14/2012 12:33:16 PM >

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> IJF Glenn Production Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI