Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reassigning units is slower and slower

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Reassigning units is slower and slower Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 7:52:23 AM   
Tarhunnas

It seems recently when I want to reassign units, it takes longer and longer to bring up the list of headquarters I can reassign it to. I do not remember this has been noticeble in the past, but I cannot say exactly when it started. Anyway, it also seems to get slower and slower until I restart the game, which smells of a memory leak or something.

This ios now a real pita when you are reassigning lots of units and you have to spend a lot of time just waiting for it to bring up the list.
Post #: 1
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 7:59:24 AM   
delatbabel

Same here. Definitely started around 1.06.06 or so but 1.06.11 made it noticeably worse.

--
Del

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 2
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 9:03:22 AM   
schascha

+1

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 3
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 11:50:24 AM   
Helpless

quote:

It seems recently when I want to reassign units, it takes longer and longer to bring up the list of headquarters I can reassign it to. I do not remember this has been noticeble in the past, but I cannot say exactly when it started. Anyway, it also seems to get slower and slower until I restart the game, which smells of a memory leak or something.

This ios now a real pita when you are reassigning lots of units and you have to spend a lot of time just waiting for it to bring up the list.

Can you give more details? Save? How long is the delay in its worse? I've tried to replicate it, but see no anomalies so far.

Reassignment can be somewhat slower for the isolated units, in such a case game scans paths to the HQs. I see ways to optimize it, but it would be good to catch the slowdown.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 4
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 12:21:09 PM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Can you give more details? Save? How long is the delay in its worse? I've tried to replicate it, but see no anomalies so far.

Reassignment can be somewhat slower for the isolated units, in such a case game scans paths to the HQs. I see ways to optimize it, but it would be good to catch the slowdown.

It's a bit hard for me to give you a save -- I have no current PBEMs at the moment and I mostly only play on the server or FTF.

You could look at my game on the server -- delatbabel vs jimbo12. I noticed it a lot last turn.

However even with the save, first time I load the game and start playing my turn it seems quite normal. Later in the turn when I click on a unit and go to the reassign box it can take up to 3-4 seconds or so. That's on a reasonably new-ish Dell laptop, i5, 4GB RAM, etc.

What you'd need to see is one of my games mid turn, while loaded on my machine. Hard to catch I guess.

--
Del

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 5
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 1:08:48 PM   
Tarhunnas

Same here, you can check on my server game vs Michael T. As Del says, it is ok when first starting up the game, then it gets worse and worse. If I save in mid turn and turn off WITE and then restart and reload it is ok again, but then gets progressively worse. Also if I have one game loaded, then load another, it is still bad, the only thing that "resets" it is to turn off and restart WITE. It appears independent of the savegame.

Edit: I tried to replicate it with a PBEM savegame, but couldnt, even after several reassigns. I am beginning to suspect it affects Server games more.

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 5/26/2012 1:25:34 PM >

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 6
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 3:24:19 PM   
Helpless

quote:

Same here, you can check on my server game vs Michael T. As Del says, it is ok when first starting up the game, then it gets worse and worse. If I save in mid turn and turn off WITE and then restart and reload it is ok again, but then gets progressively worse.

How long is the delay in its worse? How long does it takes to get that worse.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 7
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 3:27:57 PM   
Helpless

Also, what kind of units you are trying to reassign? Are these support units? Are there any isolated units among them?

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 8
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 3:40:31 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

quote:

Same here, you can check on my server game vs Michael T. As Del says, it is ok when first starting up the game, then it gets worse and worse. If I save in mid turn and turn off WITE and then restart and reload it is ok again, but then gets progressively worse.

How long is the delay in its worse? How long does it takes to get that worse.

Pretty quick, and at its worst it can be several seconds.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 9
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 3:41:44 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

Also, what kind of units you are trying to reassign? Are these support units? Are there any isolated units among them?

I am trying to reassign divisions and brigades, for the largest part unisolated units.

Edit: I am pretty sure only server games are affected, but I have no server game where it is my turn, so I cannot experiment with it.

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 5/26/2012 3:45:30 PM >

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 10
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 3:55:52 PM   
Helpless

Interesting. I've tried to play with downloaded game - jimbo12 vs delatbabel. But haven't noticed any slowdown. Yes it could be faster, but I see nothing dramatic - in worst case it is around a second at most. I'll pass it to testers to see if they able to replicate it.

quote:

Edit: I am pretty sure only server games are affected, but I have no server game where it is my turn, so I cannot experiment with it.

So it doesn't show up in your PBEM playing as Soviets?

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 11
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 3:59:37 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

Interesting. I've tried to play with downloaded game - jimbo12 vs delatbabel. But haven't noticed any slowdown. Yes it could be faster, but I see nothing dramatic - in worst case it is around a second at most. I'll pass it to testers to see if they able to replicate it.

quote:

So it doesn't show up in your PBEM playing as Soviets?

No, I tried to replicate it in PBEM games, but it doesn't show. It was extremely annoying in my server game vs Michael T, 3 seconds or so at the worst. I had to save and restart WITE, but it was back again after some reassigns. One tends to do quite a lot of reassigning as Soviet in the first turns.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 12
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 8:54:57 PM   
elmo3

I tested this and was getting between 2 and 3 seconds for each reassignment. The duration never changed. Also tested it with a 41 campaign game on turn one and saw about the same results.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 13
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 10:08:39 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

I tested this and was getting between 2 and 3 seconds for each reassignment. The duration never changed. Also tested it with a 41 campaign game on turn one and saw about the same results.

Allright, but slow it is!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 14
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/26/2012 10:45:59 PM   
Omat

Hello

I had this only once. A game against the ai and as soviet. Only changing divisions and brigades and so on was affected. Not changing Su`s that was normal. Delay was about 5-15 s. After one turn it was normal..1-2 s. No save so I did not reported it. But I saw this as well. I think patch 1.06.08..not sure

Omat

< Message edited by Omat -- 5/26/2012 10:47:49 PM >

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."
Anatole France

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 15
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/27/2012 2:30:44 AM   
delatbabel

In my current server game, mentioned above, at the end of my last turn I picked up the HQ that's currently sitting in the Crimea and clicked the Stavka label on it to reassign it to a new (front) HQ. The box with the list of HQs took 7 seconds to appear. I'm guessing that turn took me about an hour, so about that length of time to get to that stage.

--
Del

(in reply to Omat)
Post #: 16
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/27/2012 10:45:54 AM   
Helpless

Guys, I was not able to replicate slowing down, but I have complied a new version which potentially can fasten the process. Anyone interested in testing please send me PM with your email and I'll send it out.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 17
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/27/2012 12:39:39 PM   
delatbabel

PM sent x 2

--
Del

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 18
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/30/2012 12:25:27 PM   
delatbabel

Hi, I picked up the new exe and ran a couple of turns with it. It is noticeably faster. There are still a few slowdowns in going to and from rail mode with units selected, and some slowness selecting units while in rail mode, but the HQ assignment is much faster.

--
Del

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 19
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/30/2012 12:37:39 PM   
Helpless

Thanks, Del.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 20
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/30/2012 12:47:43 PM   
Tarhunnas

I played a turn yesterday and had the same experience as Del. Much faster!

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 21
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 5/30/2012 1:33:41 PM   
Helpless

Good to know. Thanks.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 22
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 6/3/2012 6:27:30 PM   
Tarhunnas

I have played a number of turns now, and it is working fine. Sometimes there is a slight slowing down, but that is when units are or was isolated at the beginning at the turn, and it is not at all as slow as before, so I think you kan put this one down as solved.

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 23
RE: Reassigning units is slower and slower - 6/4/2012 6:46:33 PM   
randallw

I still occasionally have this problem, but don't notice any particular set of circumstances that lead up to; it comes and goes with no obvious reason why.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Reassigning units is slower and slower Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI