Kaga's Air Group Size.

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Capt Cliff

Kaga's Air Group Size.

Post by Capt Cliff »

It appears Kaga picked up an extra zero when it came into port. See screenie ... So is this normal? How do I fix it? The Air group size is 73, Kaga capacity is 72 ... NO PLANES WILL FLY!!!

Attachments
WitPKaga.jpg
WitPKaga.jpg (360.55 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Capt. Cliff
Arnhem44

RE: Kaga's Air Group Size.

Post by Arnhem44 »

Carriers can accommodate up to 110% of their capacity and still carry out flight ops so no worries there.

I may be wrong but it's only if the number in the "Used" field is red then you have a problem.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Arnhem

Carriers can accommodate up to 110% of their capacity and still carry out flight ops so no worries there.

I may be wrong but it's only if the number in the "Used" field is red then you have a problem.

I hope so. I had this problem before and the number was orange and no planes flew. I had to remove some planes that I added. I went back and check my save files and this screenie was April 4th. On the March 31st that Zero Air Group had 18 panes with one in reserve. On April 1st, Fools Day, the air group had take damage and that reserve aircraft was pulled into the maintained/damage section. The air group size is now 19!! The pain is that it will take 3 or 4 turns to see if Kaga will fly strikes. I guess I can always pull the Vals off and wait until that Zero group falls below 18. It would be nice to be able to send planes to the reserve to size the air group. I also noted that resize the air group to fit the ship option was missing.

Attachments
WitPKaga1.jpg
WitPKaga1.jpg (289.96 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Capt. Cliff
Arnhem44

Post by Arnhem44 »

Well if you're understandably worried about the extra frame gimping the entire air group you could stand down the group and allow everything to be repaired, that should put the extra frame into the "In Reserve" slot where you can then pull it off.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

You're fine. You can have up to 115% of an aircraft carrier's capacity on board and still fly missions. See 15.4.1.2, page 253.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Arnhem

Well if you're understandably worried about the extra frame gimping the entire air group you could stand down the group and allow everything to be repaired, that should put the extra frame into the "In Reserve" slot where you can then pull it off.

I have never seen an air group grow larger that it's max. So I am not sure if that would happen. When I move the air group off the Kaga it leaves a size 1 detachment behind. So it will take 3 or 4 days to iron this out IF that one plane is repaired an then sent to the reserve. I do have a size 12 Zero group near by ... might move this bogus unit off and replace it. I'll be flying 6 less Zero's but at this point I really have no air opposition. But the rub is that in August 42 the size goes to 27!!! Where do I place the extra airplanes? I assume I have to divide the group and send one ashore.
Capt. Cliff
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Check out Kaga's other air groups. The Zeros and Vals increase to 27 each and the Kates drop to 18. 72 total.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Arnhem44

Post by Arnhem44 »

In addition to what Mike posted, do note that both sides will have CV airgroups change in composition as the war progresses and how they change follow a set of rules, the following is a post by michaelm detailing these rules, do note that these rules are setup such that they work off a CV's capacity so you'll never have a situation of overcrowded decks unless you manually change the numbers yourself.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2347683&mpage=2&key=�

When the 'resize to fit' option is enabled, the groups try to resize to fit the space on the CVx as per the old rules of version 1806 of stock.
These rules are based on Allied/Japanese, type of CVx, number of groups onboard, etc.

Only carrier capable F. FB, NF, DB and TB groups can resize according to the first applicable condition below.

a) if only one group on the CVx, then new size is 9/10 of CV capacity.
b) if Japanese and ship type is CV or CVB and date is less than 7 months since Dec 1941, new size is 1/3 of CV capacity.
c) if Japanese and ship type is CV or CVB, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F, new size is 0.375 times CV capacity.
(ii) type is DB, new size is 0.375 times CV capacity.
(iii) type is TB, new size is 0.25 times CV capacity.
(iv) any other type, new size is 0.13 times CV capacity.
d) if Japanese and ship type is CVL, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F, new size is 0.6 times CV capacity.
(ii) any other type, new size is 0.4 times CV capacity.
e) if British, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F, new size is (0.6 times CV capacity) divided by number of fighter groups on board.
(ii) if more than one fighter group present and any other type, new size is (0.4 times CV capacity) divided by number of non-fighter groups on board.
f) if Allied and ship type is CV or CVB and capacity >99, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is TB, new size is 0.132 times CV capacity.
(ii) any other type, new size is 0.28 times CV capacity.
g) if Allied and ship type is CV or CVB and year<44, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F and date is less than 7 months since Dec 1941, new size is 0.3 times CV capacity.
(ii) type is F, new size is 0.4 times CV capacity.
(iii) type is DB and year<43, new size is 0.2 times CV capacity.
(iv) type is DB and year=43 and one DB group present, new size is 0.4 times CV capacity.
(v) type is TB and year=42, new size is 0.17 times CV capacity.
(vi) any other type, new size is 0.2 times CV capacity.
h) if Allied and ship type is CV or CVB and year>43, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F and date is less than 31 months since Dec 1941, new size is 0.45 times CV capacity.
(ii) type is F and date is less than 37 months since Dec 1941, new size is 0.47 times CV capacity.
(iii) type is F, new size is 0.4 times CV capacity.
(iv) type is DB and date is more than 36 months since Dec 1941 and more than 3 groups present, new size is 0.17 times CV capacity.
(v) type is DB and date is more than 36 months since Dec 1941 and more than 3 groups present, new size is 0.17 times CV capacity.
(vi) type is DB and date is more than 30 months since Dec 1941 and less than 4 groups present and one DB group present, new size is 0.36 times CV capacity.
(vii) type is DB and date is less than 31 months since Dec 1941 and less than 4 groups present and one DB group present, new size is 0.38 times CV capacity.
(viii) type is TB and year=45 and more than 3 groups present, new size is 0.17 times CV capacity.
(ix) any other type, new size is 0.2 times CV capacity.
i) if Allied and ship type is CVE and date is greater than 28 months since Dec 1941, new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F , new size is 0.71 times CV capacity.
(ii) any other type, new size is 0.3 times CV capacity.
j) if Allied and ship type is CVE or CVL , new size depends on group type:
(i) type is F , new size is 0.7 times CV capacity.
(ii) any other type, new size is 0.3 times CV capacity.
k) anything else, new size is CV capacity / number of groups

Note that if too many groups are assigned to CVx or some groups are not set to resize, there can be some strange group sizes that could disable Air Ops.
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

The reason you have 73 instead of 72 on your carrier is that reserve aircraft do not count vs capacity. What happened is other planes needed maintenance/repairs (do count vs capacity) and the reserve plane was pulled from reserve.

As the other guys said, it's not a problem. Planes will fly from your carriers!
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

The reason you have 73 instead of 72 on your carrier is that reserve aircraft do not count vs capacity. What happened is other planes needed maintenance/repairs (do count vs capacity) and the reserve plane was pulled from reserve.

As the other guys said, it's not a problem. Planes will fly from your carriers!

Ok, but like I said I did have a problem previously when I added squadrons to the Japanese carriers, these 6 plane or 3 planes squadrons. The number was orange and the carrier would not fly. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I am still wondering what will happen in August when the 18 size group goes to 27.
Capt. Cliff
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

I think one CV can only operate 5 squadrons, so if you have 6 squadrons they won't fly.
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: Puhis

I think one CV can only operate 5 squadrons, so if you have 6 squadrons they won't fly.

Ah, good to know. The Japanese have all these itty bitty squadrons scattered about it's temping to put them all onto a CV, if they fit.
Capt. Cliff
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

IIRC, the number goes RED when Air Ops is not permitted due to overcrowding.
Michael
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

IIRC, the number goes RED when Air Ops is not permitted due to overcrowding.

Thanks good to know. An yes the air groups are flying off the Kaga ... phew ... again a previous experience caused me post and the fact the air squadron grew large than it's maximum. That #19 bird is still damaged I am hoping it will get placed into the reserve.
Capt. Cliff

Return to “Tech Support”