Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Admin Points

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Russian Admin Points Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Admin Points - 5/24/2012 6:22:43 PM   
Schmart

This is aimed more to the developers...

I've been wondering about the AP allocation, in particular for the Russians. I've found that the the Russians seem to have an AP surplus in 1941, but a shortage in 1942. The surplus in 41 is due to the extreme costs of unit building (not worth it), so AP spending is mostly limited to leaders and C&C. The shortage in 1942 is due mostly to the need to build build build. The shortage is to the point that a historical OOB in 1942 is very difficult (I'd actually say impossible, if Russian in game loses are historical).

The expenditure of APs in 1941 to maximize leaders and C&C feels unhistorical. Part of the reason for the 1941 collapses, was precisely the disarray in the Russian leadership and C&C structures. Should it be that easy to maximize these aspects in the game during 1941? Maybe APs during 1941 should be reduced, or leader and C&C AP costs increased for 1941.

Conversely, I think the Russians are unhistorically AP starved in 1942. They expanded the Army massively (in addition to replacing loses) and did better in maximizing their leadership and C&C structures, yet have the same amount of APs per turn as in 1941. I admittedly haven't crunched concrete numbers, but anecdotally from my own experience and watching AARs, I'd say that with suffering historical loses, the Russians can not build a historical OOB in 1942. Should APs per turn be increased for 1942 (or build costs reduced)?

Why are the same number of APs given each turn throughout the war? I think it should be changing, depending more on the ebb and flow of the historical situation. Instead of 60 each turn, maybe 20-30 APs from the start to Nov 1941, 40-50 from Dec 41 to Mar 42, then 80-90 from Apr 42 until Feb 43, and then back down to 40-50 after that? I think such an AP structure (or something similar) would put a little more historical restraint on the Russians.

< Message edited by Schmart -- 5/24/2012 6:24:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/24/2012 6:35:53 PM   
Flaviusx

Not the same, it goes up to 60 APs/turn from 50 in 1941.

It's still a laughably low figure in light of what you need to do in 1942, yes. I'd just as soon have a historical reinforcement schedule. Get APs out of unit construction altogether. It will be impossible to balance the AP budget so long as it's being tasked with so many disparate functions with wildly variable costs. APs need a narrower focus.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/24/2012 6:59:55 PM   
Tarhunnas

I can't really imagine Stalin walking around in the Kremlin thinking: Hmmm, let's see, do I transfer Zhukov to STAVKA or should I create another 5 rifle brigades...

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/24/2012 7:02:29 PM   
TulliusDetritus

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/24/2012 7:40:52 PM   
76mm

schmart, interesting points, I generally agree...

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/24/2012 7:46:18 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

I can't really imagine Stalin walking around in the Kremlin thinking: Hmmm, let's see, do I transfer Zhukov to STAVKA or should I create another 5 rifle brigades...

He would demand both. Or else "What do you mean I can't have both?! It's a penal battalion for you!!"

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/24/2012 9:55:46 PM   
Joel Billings

In WitW we've already split change of HQ attachments and support units from the APs. Units now suffer an admin hit when transferred (limit once per turn per unit) instead of costing APs. It will make it's way into WitE 2.0 someday. Like many items in WitW, we are not looking to retro into WitE due to the impact on balance that would require further testing (not to mention the coding time to begin with).

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/25/2012 12:34:41 AM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

In WitW we've already split change of HQ attachments and support units from the APs. Units now suffer an admin hit when transferred (limit once per turn per unit) instead of costing APs. It will make it's way into WitE 2.0 someday. Like many items in WitW, we are not looking to retro into WitE due to the impact on balance that would require further testing (not to mention the coding time to begin with).

Always appreciate your replies, Joel.

Is it possible to adjust the APs/turn in the WitE editor?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/25/2012 3:44:52 AM   
hfarrish

That sounds like a big improvement...as has been oft discussed, it doesn't really make sense to have the same functionality deal with both C&C reorgs and unit creation.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian Admin Points - 5/25/2012 8:45:40 PM   
Joel Billings

It is, although I can't recall how the increase in Soviet APs is handled. It may just tack on 10 points to whatever is entered into the editor at the point it's supposed to go up.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Russian Admin Points Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI