Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Subjective races review (in progress)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> RE: Subjective races review (in progress) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 10/22/2012 12:09:29 AM   
RaffleSnaffle

Bingeling, if you have time you MUST do another AAR. PLEASE!!

This is my request and I was actually going to make a request thread about it. Your first AAR was the first one I ever read and I loved it. The Atuuk AAR you mention was also so very awesome.

PLEASE PLEASE do another! Request from a big fan

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 31
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 11/4/2012 6:50:06 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Alright, a replay using Ikkuro has ended in 2780. The game was much more lively, with Silvermist and S**** putting in an appearance. The storyline was run through, the DZ was cleared personally by the D, and with WoA and the 3 drugs it was quite easy, a war with the Dhayut being a minor distraction. The next race will be the Ketarov, I'll be focusing heavily on intelligence missions. And please, post a bit closer to the threads' topic))

< Message edited by Gareth_Bryne -- 11/4/2012 6:52:02 PM >

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to RaffleSnaffle)
Post #: 32
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 12/3/2012 5:17:44 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Ok, here goes a report on Ketarov. A flavourful race, unfortunately flawed by the AI.

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 33
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 1/19/2013 5:32:04 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Alright, people, here's the next installment. I would really like some feedback and shared opinions. I know that people read this thread. But comments may make it ... seem... more alive.

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 34
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 1/19/2013 10:18:22 PM   
Bingeling

I can always comment. I am not sure what is new, and you play the game in a way I don't. I don't play a lot, but my DW Ackie game was peaceful, uneventful, and led to victory.

As for the last comment, I would love a simple option. "Play with wonders". They suck. I think quite a few of the characters also land in the category "not making the game better". Mostly economy boosting figures. In general, quite a few bonuses in the form of special colonies or wonders are too large when the human can grab hold of them, but quite suitable for an AI empire. The main problem is probably that the game is too easy. Hoping for Shadows...

Post #: 35
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 1/25/2013 8:41:32 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

Sometimes the game plays itself)). You never know who your neighbours will be, for instance, in my current Quameno game I'm in a bloody war with Gizureans right off the start...

Yes, I think that the wonders are too dull and out of balance. Indeed, Bakuras is the only one remotely useful, and it happens to stand in a cheatz position.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 36
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 1/25/2013 10:27:58 AM   
Bingeling

I think the wonders are all nice (far too nice in my empire). Spreading those hefty development bonuses on the best colonies tends to make the economy rather relaxed.

If an empire pulls into the lead, it is likely to get a host of "second tier" wonders, pulling even more ahead. Good if it is the AI, not so good if it is the human.

Post #: 37
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 1/25/2013 2:26:13 PM   
Arcatus

This thread is gold. I hope the devs are aware of it.

Wonders; I am a collector. I will likely go to war to gain control of wonders, so for me it's a source of conflict.

However, The wonders-mechanic in DW "suffer" from the same syndrome as in many other games (civilization etc).

If a race get a technological advantage it is going to get to the (good) wonders first, and thus increasing the advantage -
It is very hard for another race to catch up, and it is likely that they will even waste resources attempting to construct wonders the leading race started sooner.

Nerfing wonders is probably a good idea. (or even better - make em moddable )

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne
And, in 1.7.0.16 the ship graveyards have been seriously dumbed down, which makes the gameplay less fun, especially when you can just turn them off. What I propose is to make them all, including Devast**** and random ship events, broken and in need of (prolonged) reconstruction, but not toothless.

You sure about this? When I think about it it's been a while since I found those awesome titan-beam cruisers, but the ships I do find are definitely not toothless.

And there isn't anything about nerfing derelict ships in the patch notes.

< Message edited by Arcatus -- 1/25/2013 2:27:05 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 1/26/2013 8:34:43 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

re "dumbed down":

You know, I should retract that statement. I think now what happened there is this: the game sets up ship groups to be potentially assigned as pirates, then someone finds the base through a mission BEFORE they spawn, and that leaves them in a different place for the first finder to get. Then again, I found Cruisers with basic armament. Summing up - it all happened in the beginning of games and then not often enough for me to say the above. Nevertheless, it DID happen and I noticed.

Arcatus, thanks!

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 39
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 2/4/2013 11:29:22 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
quote:

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne

problems and solutions - best weapon against Silvermist - carriers, not ion cruisers; rail guns = fail in the state that they are now, in the first two playthroughs my fleets were PT from extreme range; Atuuk limited science goal is next to impossible to achieve, even though I tried role-playing.

Opinions - either railguns or engines require a boost, you need a combination of both to use rail guns effectively.

Opinions - ports should be allowed to be taken apart by construction ships for resources and research, or be mothballed. Maybe world destroyers too)))

And again, a planet can have an ion cannon as a building, why can't it have a fighter base and a torpedo launch system?

Good points Gareth!

You can have a base with fighters as armament... but yes, a CHEAP ground fighter base makes HUGE sense. I think that would be the defense of most planets. Most planets probably would not have a heavily armed station in orbit. They might have a couple of orbitting kill-sats

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 40
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 2/5/2013 8:37:51 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

Yes, and spaceports spread around in the area of the equator. Good job, tjhkkr, you actually managed to read the whole thing!!?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 41
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 2/5/2013 8:07:00 PM   
Dd_01

Hey, does anybody play for Wekkarus? IDK why they're so non-popular.
At first, you have the cute crustacean-cthulhu-like race.
Second, they are Industrious miners and Natural traders -> more resources at start + extra colony income.
They have two "+5 to development" resources.
They have free scientist at start.
They have powerful starting beam weapon technology, equivalent to mid-game blasters. And weapon will retrofit automatically.
As a penalty they have hardened Desert and Volcano colonizing, but that's not much.
They have easy victory conditions (build Palace, spend least time at wars, mine most resources, have most trade income).

Wekkarus are my total favourites, and no one can replace them for me

Post #: 42
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 2/13/2013 1:40:30 AM   
unclean

Awesome stuff! I'd love to see a playthrough of the Dhayut sometime.

About wonders - I think they're all brokenly good, it's just that Bakuras is mixed in with techs you really should be researching anyways.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dd_01

Hey, does anybody play for Wekkarus? IDK why they're so non-popular.
At first, you have the cute crustacean-cthulhu-like race.
Second, they are Industrious miners and Natural traders -> more resources at start + extra colony income.
They have two "+5 to development" resources.
They have free scientist at start.
They have powerful starting beam weapon technology, equivalent to mid-game blasters. And weapon will retrofit automatically.
As a penalty they have hardened Desert and Volcano colonizing, but that's not much.
They have easy victory conditions (build Palace, spend least time at wars, mine most resources, have most trade income).

Wekkarus are my total favourites, and no one can replace them for me

I'm not a fan of any race with that gets a colony income bonus because the game just goes way overboard with it. Wekkarus, Haakinoh, Securan etc = infinite money, it's really not very interesting to play.

Playing as Cthulus with death lasers is cool as hell though.

(in reply to Dd_01)
Post #: 43
RE: Subjective races review (in progress) - 2/13/2013 8:37:33 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

As for the Wekkarus, I'll get there eventually)) Wonders ARE good, except that:

1. Bakuras comes too early in the tech tree, the rest too late.
2. All of them tend to get built on a homeworld, which doesn't really need them (Bakuras, Fortress and the Science trio excepted)

Just off the top of my head.

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> RE: Subjective races review (in progress) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI