Parry and Spar, or is it... Reluctant Admiral 4.2 Fulkerson(J) vs Moore (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

moore4807

Parry and Spar, or is it... Reluctant Admiral 4.2 Fulkerson(J) vs Moore (A)

Post by moore4807 »

Some will need to look up the meaning(s) of this title, others will make snarky remarks (good!), and a few will wonder...[:D] NO it wasnt about the Coast Guard!

Larry and I have decided to play a PBEM game in the realm of the Reluctant Admiral. Lucky for us, the good men who helped make this game great have just updated the Mod to 4.2 ssoooo... We decided first off, this was going to be fun and educational for the newbies, so all the experienced players PLEASE jump in and comment.
Background;
I've played 2 years vs the A.I. ( & lurked on the AAR's) but never did a PBEM game til now. Larry had 2 other PBEM's going and graciously decided to add me to his busy schedule.
Larry does excellent AAR's with plenty of pix and visualizations/drawings enclosed in the AAR. If I really try hard, I'll do about half as well with this AAR! I'm interested in what you the reader is looking for in an AAR? Larry and I noticed quite a few changes from the stock scenarios in the opening moves. ( D'oh I know!) I hope to hear from you guys (n gals) with feedback - even to tell me I'm an idiot! (again I KNOW!) LOL!

Computer moves - December 7th 1941;
The IJN pulls out the whippin stick on Pearl Harbor... 8 BB's in Battleship Row arent going anywhere for a while, The Maryland blew her magazine and sunk, 2 CA's 5 CL's and a handful of DD's are all vying for Shipyard slots, and several support ships took damage. I believe just shy of 380 fighters,bombers and torpedo planes visited sunny Hawaii. Elsewhere, the major cities of the Pacific Rim are all under attack, Singapore, Hong Kong, & Manila, all receiving attention from the Japs. I'll post a screenshot of the Pearl Harbor attack for starters, and the combat report as soon as I figure out how...

Attachments
combatreport_411207.txt
(24.76 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
moore4807

RE: Parry and Spar, or is it... Reluctant Admiral 4.2 Fulkerson(J) vs Moore (A)

Post by moore4807 »

Dec 8th 1941; Day two, another day in paradise for the Allies?

The followup attack on Pearl occurs... I put everything around Pearl Harbor that would fly on CAP and it helps...somewhat. The first sortie is 15 Zeroes vs a gaggle of P-36A Mohawks (39), P-40B Warhawk(52), F4F-3 Wildcats(7) and oh yeah -the ace of the skies-a P-26A! Surprisingly a good showing, 3 Zeroes downed for a P-36 & a P-40! Plus 1 so far!

The followup isnt so pretty - Down comes the Hammer! Sixty Four Zeroes, Twenty four Kates and Twenty one Vals come a callin on Monday morning. My staunch opposition is now 32 P-36A's, 40 P-40B's, 7 F4F-3's, AND my plucky P-26A! will it be enough? Hmmm
Jap air losses - 2 Zeroes destroyed, 4 Kates destroyed - 5 damaged, 2 Vals destroyed 13 damaged.
US air losses - 3 P-36A destroyed 1 damaged, 4 P-40B destroyed, 1 F4F-3 destroyed 6 damaged.
I'll take that, but what about the surface vessels? 5 torps hit - 1 each into 4 BB's and an AD. Sadly BB Tennessee, who took 6 bomb hits and 5 torpedoes yesterday, cannot take one more torp and sinks to the bottom of the harbor...

Overall I'm happy with the exchange, the Tennessee wasn't going to be seaworthy for over a year, and the Allies put a sizeable dent into KB's aircraft stocks.

Across the Pacific - Clark Field is a relative bright spot with two attacks by Zeroes, Bettys and Nells, with the P-40 Warhawks trading 5 Zeroes destroyed, 5 Bettys destroyed + 8 damaged for just 4 P-40's (2B's & 2E's). Elsewhere things are pretty much as expected, I sent all the P.I. and Hong Kong shipping running for cover, most will be easy target practice but otherwise they go down when the cities fall anyway.

I've figured out how to add the Combat Report, so theres one bit of progress... coming soon December 9th,1941 to a screen near you!
Attachments
combatreport_411208.txt
(47.58 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Pearl Harbor area 12/8/41

I sorta expected more IJN units around Pearl, or maybe my Recon is that bad? LOL

Attachments
Pearl1208.jpg
Pearl1208.jpg (92.5 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

just a glance at the repair list - somehow larry gets two or more pix into one frame...sigh not there yet - must keep trying...

Attachments
Pearlrepairs12841.jpg
Pearlrepairs12841.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

some more damaged units...

Attachments
Pearlrepa..12841P2.jpg
Pearlrepa..12841P2.jpg (82.43 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

As I said earlier, I was running everything out of P.I. and didnt expect much to survive. Here the CA Houston gets treated like a pinata by IJN...

Attachments
CAHouston120941.jpg
CAHouston120941.jpg (111.9 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

December 9th,1941;

Otherwise S N A F U - Clark Field's Warhawks continue to give a good account - but its only a matter of time. Today's Combat Report is attached.
Attachments
combatreport_411209.txt
(20.92 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: moore4807
just a glance at the repair list - somehow larry gets two or more pix into one frame...sigh not there yet - must keep trying...
I load the images on a file server ( http://imgur.com/ ) and then use the location of file[/i m a g e ] tags to post multiple images in one post. Works like a charm. [ I had to space out the words image from the tags so as to avoid trying to post an image. ]

Jim has very generously allowed me to read his AAR and I'm not all that surprised since we're playing a friendly game of two noobs playing and learning together. I love seeing the Allied side of things.....so far I've gained some OPSEC tidbits, namely the positions of the Allied subs around Pearl and the remarkable repair lists of damaged ships at Pearl, which wasn't all that surprising. I'm hoping Jim won't mind if I post my Japanese stuff in this AAR as well. I was thinking of altering the pictures to maintain my OPSEC but altering them in an obvious and humerous way to make things more interesting and funner. How cool would that be?

EDIT: So um.......that second strike on Pearl wasn't intentional. I was hoping the KB would be out of range and WOULDN'T launch a second strike.......I was going to avoid a second strike to prevent the largely needless loss of some great pilots. But NOOOoooooo they were still in range somehow and a second strike WAS launched. I felt like I was watching my mother-in-law drive over the cliff in my brand-new Cadillac.
How much does one of those female sex robots cost? I'm asking for a friend.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Playing with stacking limits from the start will influence how you defend places like Luzon. Do you go the traditional way and pull almost everybody back to Clark and then the final holdout in Bataan? Or do you go with defending Manila since it has the highest stacking limits on the island?? Next, look at the stacking limits on Java and compare what you can place at Batavia and Soerabaja. Where do you hold up?? The interior mountain hexes were a choice before, but not now.
[center]Image[/center]
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

China is completely different with stacking limits.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Playing with stacking limits from the start will influence how you defend places like Luzon. Do you go the traditional way and pull almost everybody back to Clark and then the final holdout in Bataan? Or do you go with defending Manila since it has the highest stacking limits on the island?? Next, look at the stacking limits on Java and compare what you can place at Batavia and Soerabaja. Where do you hold up?? The interior mountain hexes were a choice before, but not now.

Good points
Luzon - My history in A.I. games was to leave most of the Army units in place, moving just the Eng. & air support to Clark and Manila. One of the things with the map changes made is IJA now has a straight shot at bypassing Bataan (Subic Bay???) by going through Clark Field to Manila. There's really nothing stopping the drive up from Lagaspi so IDK if there IS a good defense... sacrificial lambs on the butchers block...although I'm pleased about the performance of the P-40's - they are slugging it out at nearly 1-1 odds so far - til the supply runs low!

Java - I am trying something different this scenario and dont want Larry to find out just yet (OP-SEC)[:D]!!! I agree Dutch have some units, not terribly high experience and obsolete planes, so what am I saving other than trading their lives for time? Makes me a cold hearted "bit" killer? Opinions?

I dont see a good escape route for the Dutch - Port Hedland? getting even the Aussies and NZ units out, cost a ton of PP and don't really do anything (unless I'm missing something here?). The stacking limits havent really impacted me yet so the experienced players would have to weigh in.

My biggest concern now is where to make my defensive stand and how to ensure supply continues to get through...

moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Larry,

By all means POST AWAY!!!, (and I LOVE the mother in law comment!!!) Also, to avoid a second strike - change the Airgroups to naval search,rest etc. You don't have to do each one individually - after changing the first group there is a button for changing all aircraft in same hex or TF...

Dan - Could you elaborate more on the China stacking limits? In what way? Is it going to be "X" number of LCU's per hex and keep rotating LCU's in & out from adjoining hexes to avoid penalties? That will be a logistical nightmare! (thinking of American Civil War camps outside the city - separate until you are ready to attack...)

BTW Thanks to Mike and Dan for posting in our little adventure!
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Here's a mystery... What happened to Waldo? (aka OS2U-3 Kingfisher) Not in combat, not on the ground, just crashed from fright of seeing his first Zeroes?

Attachments
Cagayan121041.jpg
Cagayan121041.jpg (136.49 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

P.I. Soldier #1: (smoking a Camel cigarette and firing from behind the hill overlooking the beach) "Mac, I'm low on ammo -I think we should head inland..."
P.I. Soldier #2 (firing and wiping sweat from his eyes) " Yeah? where do you want to go? Manila? We keep goin til were out of ammo, then we'll bug out"
P.I. Soldier #1 "Nah I want to pick up a pack of Camels from the PX... San Fran's PX!!!" (settles back into firing position)

Attachments
Aparri121041.jpg
Aparri121041.jpg (133.21 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the losses from 11Dec41:

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

There was a minor scurmish on the northwest coast of PI. hint: FOW is "on".

moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Not much to add to Larry's report, the ships sunk & bases lost are all inevitable, more to come shortly.

The Java plan I had doesnt look like it will pan out, but nothing ventured....

Looking at Larry's report I'm amazed at how few Nicks are lost or damaged... I think he shelved the Nicks and Replaced them with Oscars from the pool. I can only hope he won't have much left in the pool after the switchover.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'm not really looking at this because I always play the Allies, but dude, you know the forum rules say you can have three running AARs and no more, right? [:D]

Never mind, I see you're Moo not fulkerson.

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
I'm not really looking at this because I always play the Allies, but dude, you know the forum rules say you can have three running AARs and no more, right? [:D]

Never mind, I see you're Moo not fulkerson.
I didn't know that but I see the logic and I will obey it strictly. I hereby abandon the Allied AI AAR so I can post stuff in here. That okay Moo?
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Moo has no problem with it - just an uncontrollable urge to chew. . .[:D][:D][:D]

Return to “After Action Reports”