Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SU rich PZ Corp

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> SU rich PZ Corp Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SU rich PZ Corp - 5/21/2012 5:52:16 PM   
HITMAN202

PZ Corp HQ are rich with SU's, particularly artillery support. Since many of their combats during '41 are distant from their HQ, do any of you'll spend AP to transfer some SU to infantry Corp HQ's ???

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
Post #: 1
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 5/21/2012 9:20:42 PM   
glvaca

Yes.
You can try using the automated system to reduce AP expenditure.

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 2
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 5/23/2012 1:45:38 PM   
rrbill

Slow learner here. And only AI play at that. Just noticed that certain Army/Corps get plenty of attached support units, many that I'd like elsewhere. Have begun to do checks and reassignments, but at small costs and a lot of time. How do I use the "automated system" to improve game play or initial set up to avoid the problem in the first place?

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 3
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 5/23/2012 2:17:32 PM   
rrbill

Well, have found a thread that answers my queastions. My question appears answered.

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 4
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/13/2012 1:44:56 AM   
DorianGray

I tend to manually standardize SU Infantry Corps assignements as follows:

1 Gun Bn
2 Howitzer Bns
1 SP AA Co
1 Pioneer Bn
1 Const Bn

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 5
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/15/2012 9:48:26 PM   
Schmart

Yes, very much so. Since in 41-42 Panzer Korps should be used mostly for manoeuvre and Infantry Korps for assaults, it's the Infantry that'll put all those combat SUs to better use.

(in reply to DorianGray)
Post #: 6
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/16/2012 1:17:48 PM   
rrbill

Agree with DorianGrey's std SU assignments, but for sure PzKorps for me have same assignments. Like to have 210mmH's & 150mmG's and any nebels assigned when possible. But bigger arty than these I reserve to AG level. Use only at prepared seiges. (Lgrad, Moscow, Kiev, etc.) Various units like MG batts, Bicycles, flamePZ's, etc. I reserve again at AGs. Assign these to weak infantry as needed. (I like force balance.) Do like assigning excess SU's to specific units when possible and available, too. All for force balance.

Not sure by practice or design (manual not clear to me) if more than a few SU batts are ever committed or if over-assignment gives value through multiple attack/defense in one turn. BTW, are other than Korps level units ever committed?

Outside of points-to-assign, the cost of over-assignment is not clear. There is some distance constraint in the relationship of available SU's and target SU's, but not so clear to me. Seems SU batts can be flipped all over much of the map w/o fatigue, rail, losses, or chain-of-command effect. Do roving air units ever nail these SU's?

Would appreciate experts' thoughts on issues for SU's.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 7
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/17/2012 11:00:04 PM   
NotOneStepBack

I'm usually against any type of "standardization" of SU's for a corp or army. I think it really depends on your situational needs.

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 8
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/17/2012 11:13:31 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: NotOneStepBack

I'm usually against any type of "standardization" of SU's for a corp or army. I think it really depends on your situational needs.

Moving lots of SUs around for situational needs can add up quickly and get quite expensive in terms of Admin Pts, especially for the Russians. I have a minimum standardization that I adhere to, and then add or subtract SUs as needed, but I generally avoid going below my minimum standard. Quiet sectors of the front will be put on the minimum, and any extras that can be scrounged up will be sent to more critical sectors.

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 9
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/21/2012 6:47:13 PM   
Balou

Does anyone know whether there is such thing as a "ranking" of artillery units, lets say guns are less efficient than howitzers etc. Question is: which artillery units should be attached first when low on APs.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 10
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/21/2012 7:18:39 PM   
Klydon

I like doing direct assignment of SU's to motorized divisions as they are often a target for counter attacks. Generally, I like using Stugs. For the panzers, I will stick in more infantry like units like the bike battalions, pioneers, etc. The flammpanzer battalions are very potent, so they generally go with motorized infantry.

Many of my pioneer, heavy guns, etc will get sent to 16th-18th army if I am planning on making a hard push towards Leningrad.

It can be tough for the Germans (and is extra work), but if you have important attacks going on, make sure you move the commanding HQ up to be in range when you launch your attack. You will be better off being in command range and also have a better opportunity for support units showing up to help out.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 11
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/22/2012 2:33:04 PM   
rrbill

@BALOU:

In the real world "guns" of same calibre would outrange "howitzers." The howitizer would have capability for highest elevation to deliver "falling" shells. Not clear to me if the battle algorithms take all that into account.

I try to get reasonable spread of guns and howitzers as support units for every corps HQ and keep those HQs close to the battle. Never see more than a few support units invoked in a battle, though.

For German arty, believe the 105G, 150H, 210H, & 150G should be a preferred set up. Always nice to have those rocket launchers, too. If you can locate and pin down the 170G, use it as it was a great piece. The really heavy stuff I assign to higher HQs until a siege is required. But I can't prove that there is much differance in outcomes; it just makes sense to me.

Read once a Brit arty expert's opinion that the arty pkg should be like a well planned golf bag, have the right club for the situation and use it well.

Also, not clear to me that higher HQ batts are brought into the battles.

Have read on this forum that some Soviet arty that might have a "2 hex" range is invoked when appropriate, but that German arty is not even though they did have aome pieces with similar ranges. A shortcoming in the game.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 12
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 10/22/2012 5:38:29 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill
Have read on this forum that some Soviet arty that might have a "2 hex" range is invoked when appropriate, but that German arty is not even though they did have aome pieces with similar ranges. A shortcoming in the game.

The 2 hex range refers to on-map artillery units.

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 13
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 7/3/2013 12:15:28 PM   
Tuhhodge

So if you leave your arty with your Corps HQ you better keep it right up at the frontline?

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 14
RE: SU rich PZ Corp - 7/5/2013 8:06:06 AM   
cpt flam

no Tuhhodge, this would offer opportunity to a counterstrike for your opponent
if your HQ is in command range (5 hex, 20 MP) it can provide support
each unit retreating suffer casualties, this can be high cost with a HQ

(in reply to Tuhhodge)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> SU rich PZ Corp Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI