Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> 1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? - 5/20/2012 10:04:34 PM   
Bebop Cola

I have my empire policy set to never use super lasers to destroy enemy colonies. I then equipped my capital ships with super lasers with the intent of using them to take out tough bases and capital ships.

My first opportunity to test, however, resulted in a blown up planet that I think had a mining base on it, though it might have been a colony moon. My fleet was set to automated attack orders against an enemy empire. The last order given was to attack a mining base in the same system, but this was less than a minute before I flipped over to check on them to see an exploding planet.

Unfortunately, my game barfed from a memory leak shortly thereafter, so I don't have a recent save. That said, I imagine it could have been one of the following scenarios:

1. The empire policy only applies to the actual Planet Destroyer ships, not just the super laser.
2. The empire policy only applies to actual colonies, not planets/moons with bases on them.
3. The empire policy works, but in the process of blowing up a mining base with a super laser the planet it's on is also destroyed simply as collateral damage.

Needless to say, my empire took a reputation hit from admired to dubious. I was actually somewhat amused and inclined to keep the game going, dismissing the admiral for criminal negligence, suing for peace with the empire I had just wronged, and immediately redesigning my capital ships. Alas, I can't justify intentionally wasting a planet when I pick it back of from an earlier auto-save just to replicate the scenario.
Post #: 1
RE: 1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? - 6/12/2012 1:57:02 PM   
Fishman

Wait, what? You can get Super Lazors? Not just the regular Death Ray? Where do THOSE come from? Because I could sure go for a new, improved Death Star. The default designs are a joke. How the hell do you even *USE* the 50 cargo bays, and why on Earth would I want to a Death Star Cargo Shuttle?

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? - 6/12/2012 4:29:26 PM   
Bebop Cola

Seems to be an unmarked tier 8 weapon technology. I believe it requires following the RotS storyline and might require max tech before you complete it. Not entirely sure on that last bit.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? - 6/12/2012 5:29:16 PM   
Fishman

I've done that before. Maxed tech tree, searched all ruins and found the superweapon ruins, seen the Shaktur arrive. There's more?

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? - 6/12/2012 6:24:42 PM   
Bebop Cola

Have you followed the storyline discoveries? Should be initiated by finding one of the ruins and loads a story screen, then points you at the next discovery(might take another ruin or ship discovery to move along). You follow that trail to discover a series of bases. Have you found all of those?

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? - 7/13/2012 2:24:29 AM   
elliotg

This empire policy only applies to Planet Destroyer ships used outside of fleets. If you equip your standard Capital Ships with planet-destroying Super Laser components, then this may happen :)

In this case though, if the capital ships are not part of a fleet then they probably will not attempt to destroy planets.

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 6
RE: 1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? - 7/13/2012 6:03:14 AM   
Bebop Cola

Ha! Amusing. :-)

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> 1.7.0.14 - Super Laser empire policy not working? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI