Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

COTA Conversion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> COTA Conversion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
COTA Conversion - 5/17/2012 7:42:01 AM   
Arjuna

Finally I have got an old COTA scenario to open in the new Cmd Ops ScenMaker. See below. Note the file extentions for the map and estab files are for the new Cmd Ops format. These have been converted too.

One down 43 to go. Actually I'm hopeful that the new batch convert function will automatically convert the remaining scenarios. I'm off to test that next.

Life is good!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Arjuna -- 5/17/2012 7:46:01 AM >

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Post #: 1
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/17/2012 8:09:52 AM   
PirateJock

Great news ... fingers and toes crossed!

Cheers

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 2
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/17/2012 4:23:06 PM   
Renato

Very well!

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/17/2012 6:19:04 PM   
wodin

Superb. I passed the HTTR pack. I wont pass on a COTA pack though.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Renato)
Post #: 4
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/17/2012 8:57:03 PM   
parmenio

Good news. I've been off the grid for a while, so I've only just found out that the HTTR Expansion was out (which I bought yesterday).

Looking forward to a COTA add-on and hopefully I'll find out about it a bit earlier....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/18/2012 4:06:18 AM   
The Plodder

Hey cool,I'm looking forward to getting back to Crete with the updated engine.
I do have a few questions though:
Is this a free expansion or is it the same price as the HTTR one?
If it is a payware expansion, are we paying for the scenarios and/or a patch with the new conversion code?
Unlike the original HTTR, COTA uses serial no's so can COTA owners get a discount?

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 6
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/18/2012 6:32:15 AM   
Deathtreader

WOOHOO!!!

Convert them and they will come.........

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 7
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/18/2012 6:48:28 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

Hey cool,I'm looking forward to getting back to Crete with the updated engine.
I do have a few questions though:
Is this a free expansion or is it the same price as the HTTR one?
If it is a payware expansion, are we paying for the scenarios and/or a patch with the new conversion code?
Unlike the original HTTR, COTA uses serial no's so can COTA owners get a discount?

It won't be free. I need to consult with Matrix re price and any discounts for former COTA owners. I will get back to you as soon as that's settled.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to The Plodder)
Post #: 8
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/18/2012 4:35:22 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Any chance of including some user-made scenarios in the conversion, Operation Battleaxe or Brevity, for instance, or Beda Fomm?

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 9
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/18/2012 6:53:10 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

Any chance of including some user-made scenarios in the conversion, Operation Battleaxe or Brevity, for instance, or Beda Fomm?

Even if that doesn't happen, I'm happy to convert and host - the COTA originals are still on one of my websites.

(they were damm good fun BTW)

< Message edited by parmenio -- 5/18/2012 6:56:12 PM >

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 10
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/18/2012 6:54:57 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
It won't be free. I need to consult with Matrix re price and any discounts for former COTA owners. I will get back to you as soon as that's settled.

Speaking as one who owns COTA, personally I don't care whether I get a discount or not...

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 11
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/19/2012 1:46:18 AM   
Nick Schieben

I own COTA, and I don't really care I'm looking forward to it and will want to fire it up the day it's released. Would those Afrika Korps scenarios work with this too? I really enjoyed the original and I think it's great how HTTR works so well with this. It would be fantastic to see something in this series like the Low Countries '40 eventually.

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 12
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/21/2012 4:24:23 AM   
Bil H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nick Schieben

It would be fantastic to see something in this series like the Low Countries '40 eventually.

Nick, see this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3104160 could be a hint or two of what you are looking for.

Bil

(in reply to Nick Schieben)
Post #: 13
RE: COTA Conversion - 5/26/2012 1:38:13 PM   
rfrizz

Heh! It won't work. You will be up to your azz in alligators. This is what will happen:

C'mon, I used to be a programmer. When do these things EVER work as expected? But once you work out the kinksandbugs,

Then it will be time for:

(in reply to Bil H)
Post #: 14
RE: COTA Conversion - 6/15/2012 2:37:53 PM   
Arjuna

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know that we put out our first debug build with the converted COTA data content. There's still a lot of testing to go, but we are making progress.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to rfrizz)
Post #: 15
RE: COTA Conversion - 6/15/2012 10:24:40 PM   
phoenix

Excellent! Can't wait. So many COTA scenarios I've really enjoyed 'even' with the COTA engine.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 16
RE: COTA Conversion - 6/15/2012 11:39:44 PM   
PirateJock

Great news. Does that mean you've got all the scenarios converted? Any ideas on timelines or still too early?

Cheers

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 17
RE: COTA Conversion - 6/16/2012 2:07:23 AM   
Arjuna

Yes all of the scenarios are converted. We still have a few bugs to iron out. Several of the scenarios fail to load at the moment. I suspect its a map issue but I have to check. We will release this as soon as it is robust. Too early to predict but it may be ready within a month or two.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 18
RE: COTA Conversion - 6/16/2012 7:47:12 AM   
PirateJock

Superb

Thanks for the info.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 19
RE: COTA Conversion - 6/30/2012 2:13:47 AM   
Arjuna

SITREP Sat 30 June 2012.

Hi all,

We put a new beta build (4.4.251) yesterday. This has all the converted COTA data along with some fixes for issues we have encountered on the way. We found one issue in the Malta map where the impassable cliffs allowed for motorised movement. We've adressed that now but have instigated a thorough check of all the terrain effects in all the COTA scenarios.

Fixes/New Features for Build 4.4.251:

• Fix crash inside ScenRoute when the taskLoc == leaveLoc and the effEndIndex is not adjusted correctly.
  • Added new Scenario Statistics feature to ScenMaker.
  • Added new Cull Inactive Units feature to ScenMaker.
  • Culled Inactive units from all converted COTA scenarios.
  • Turned off FPAssert at ScenPlanScheduling.cpp, line 14529. There still occurs from time to time cases where a support units will be left without an order for some as yet to be explained reason. They get new orders after replanning. Given the rarity of this and the difficulty in determining the cause I have opted to ignore it.
  • Ensured the sort function CompareResourcesByAscendingSizeDescendingSuitability() has a valid comparitor when both resources are not suitable.
  • Ditto for CompareResourcesByHQsAndDescendingSuitability().
  • Fixed bug in Terrain Popup which was adding the base altitude to the spot height, which it should not have done.
  • Ensured that Impassable Cliffs in the Malta map had zero move effect for motorised units.
  • Rebuilt the Sidi Rezeh map to eliminate data corruption.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 20
RE: COTA Conversion - 6/30/2012 11:32:07 AM   
kipanderson

Hi,

Yup... great news.

As with many here I am after as much as possible with this engine. I want more and more Command Ops stuff ;). Now :).

Lots to look forward to....
All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 21
RE: COTA Conversion - 8/12/2012 5:40:11 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi,

Just curious as to how things are coming along............

This exp pack will be an instant sale for me..... heck, so will the yet to be publicly named East front game, the yet to be discussed WestWall pack and I'll probably even try the platoon level thingy esp if it has a demo. And I normally avoid small unit level games like the plague.........

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 22
RE: COTA Conversion - 8/13/2012 4:07:03 PM   
simovitch

All of the Marita-Merkur and North Africa scenarios are converted and tweaked to take advantage of the new features like initial depot levels, initial orders delay, and historical/standard reinforcement schedules. We have playtested several of them and they play out really nicely. The AI is much improved.

All of the maps got a once over as well to clear up some lingering issues with lakes and road wipeouts, and we updated the Mediterranean map graphics.

There is an issue though with the estab images showing up in the game but not the estab editor. We wanted to flesh out as many of the vehicles and equipment images we could in order to take advantage of the new in-game image display but I can't start on that until Panther Games fixes this issue. Also there is still an issue with the debug version of the latest build not working with XP so many of our beta testers can't even bug-test. We are waiting on Panther to fix that issue as well.

simovitch

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 23
RE: COTA Conversion - 8/14/2012 12:42:16 AM   
Arjuna

Paul has started working on this issue. But since we don't use XP anymore it has meant working up a virtualisation system. This is now up and running and Paul can get the release version running under XP. But we need the debug version to test with. So we need to be patient while Paul beavers away.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 24
RE: COTA Conversion - 9/2/2012 10:29:44 PM   
Rosmarus

I know I might be a bit impatient but what's going on with this expansion? I know these things take their time but I'm dying to know something new.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 25
RE: COTA Conversion - 9/3/2012 2:04:46 AM   
Arjuna

I have been away or on other business for the last two weeks. Today is my first day back in the office. I need to check on others to see how they are progressing.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Rosmarus)
Post #: 26
RE: COTA Conversion - 9/5/2012 1:06:59 PM   
balcazrvam

I'm off to test that next.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 27
RE: COTA Conversion - 9/13/2012 10:15:35 PM   
Txema

So... How is everything progressing?

How are the patch and the conversion?

Looking forward to news!

Txema

(in reply to balcazrvam)
Post #: 28
RE: COTA Conversion - 9/14/2012 1:43:40 AM   
Arjuna

It's been a frustrating time for me since finishing a Defence conmtract 6 weeks ago. I had hoped to finish off the COTA Ex Pack by now but one issue after another has prevented that. FIrst off, as I mentioned earlier we cannot get our XP autoptetsers working with the latest builds. Something we have introduced or that MS have introduced is causing the game not to run on these machines. We also have encountered a game lockup that occurs because of either a massive memory leak or the AI thread crashing. These are outside my level of expertise and I am relying on Paul, but his work has been very busy. So progress on both of these has been slow.

Meanwhile I have been wrestling with what turned out to be a Microsoft know bug that they finally acknowledged to me earlier this week. It appears that I can either turn off iterator debugging and run the debug version of our game fast or I can see strings displayed in the debugger while the game runs along ata snails pace but I can't have both. I cannot run the game with iterator debugging turned on because it takes over 7 minutes to load a scenario and hors to go through the game play. So I have opted to turn the iterator debugging off and now when it comes time to step through the code I must identify which unit is affected by recording its ID, re-run the recording, take a data dump of what I think the unit is, check if the ID matches an if not try another unit. So a lot of wasted time all because MS can't get their act together.

But apart from that little frustration (don't worry I am calmer now) I have been working on improving the progress in the attacks. I have fixed several bugs so far, including one that meant certain arty units were spending their entire bombardment time registering their target. From what I have tested so far, arty are much more effective in providing on call support. I have also added mods to reduce the bombardment period of on call support if the unit's arty ammo level drops below 50%. This has involved reconverting the estabs.

Hopefully Paul can wrap up the memory leak and XP issues soon. Then we can start full time testing of the COTA scenarios.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 29
RE: COTA Conversion - 9/14/2012 1:43:16 PM   
Txema

Arjuna,

Thank you very much for the information.

I am really looking forward to the new patch with the fixes to the progress in the attacks !!

Are you planning to release it prior to the COTA Ex Pack if it is ready? That would be really nice...

Txema

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> COTA Conversion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI