Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK I purchased....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> OK I purchased.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK I purchased.... - 5/15/2012 4:47:53 PM   
GBS

Why are the T 34s such impregnable super tanks. Another question...when I try to approach a T34 in heavy woods with two infantry units as soon as I move into the adjacent hex the tank destroys my units. Seems to me foot soldiers should have the advantage against armor in heavy woods especially when flanking. Maybe this game isn't what I thought it was.
Post #: 1
RE: OK I purchased.... - 5/15/2012 5:08:21 PM   
Joram

Because historically they were virtually impregnable to Germans at the time. The Germans used maneuver warfare and superior training to defeat them initially. Get to their flanks, close to point blank if you have to, grouping helps and don't discount low odds attacks.
For infantry, remember there were no panzerfausts at this time, at least not widely used. You have to close assault with them and when you do that, facing doesn't matter.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 2
RE: OK I purchased.... - 5/15/2012 5:15:44 PM   
z1812

You may find this article interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_encounter_of_Soviet_T-34_and_KV_tanks

Ordinary German infantry would be hard pressed to deal with T-34's in 41. Special troops like pioneers would do better.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 3
RE: OK I purchased.... - 5/15/2012 5:47:52 PM   
robc04

Remember, they also get to respond to your move unless you've played the dual attack card. So while you may have moved to their flank, they do get to shoot you. Tanks can fire in all directions.

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 4
RE: OK I purchased.... - 5/15/2012 11:34:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

It's a good idea to leave your close assaults for later in the turn and try to draw out the opposing unit's actions first through other diversions before you try to rush in. If you have a dual attack card or mark as used, those are also very handy. Your basic Rifle Squad at this point in the war would definitely have found assaulting a T-34 quite challenging. In the game the Pioneers are significantly better at that as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to robc04)
Post #: 5
RE: OK I purchased.... - 5/16/2012 2:31:14 AM   
jomni

German rifle infantry are poor in this game.  They even have less fire power than Russian rifle infantry.
I have not been able to play a lot to determine effective anti-armor tactics.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: OK I purchased.... - 5/16/2012 3:17:41 AM   
Joram

Erik's tips are about the best when considering taking on a superior opponent.  The challenge of course is you never know how many CAPs the AI has but with practice, you get a feel for this too.  It helps to pay close attention to the messages and keep at least a loose track of a units moves during a turn.  Obviously with the bigger scenarios you can't do this for every unit but you can still do it for the important ones.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 7
RE: OK I purchased.... - 5/17/2012 10:10:02 PM   
demjansk

And, the game shouldn't have that many T34's due to those tanks just coming out.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 8
RE: OK I purchased.... - 5/17/2012 10:26:20 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: demjansk

And, the game shouldn't have that many T34's due to those tanks just coming out.

Not true at all...
http://operationbarbarossa.net/Myth-Busters/MythBusters2.html

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> OK I purchased.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI