Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to do... a second install?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> How to do... a second install? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to do... a second install? - 5/15/2012 8:53:23 AM   
Hotschi

As the title says, I want a 2nd install of WitP on my harddrive - simply to keep stock AND have another install for Babes and all its goodies. But how?

I tried to copy the whole install folder (.../Matrix Games/War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition to (.../Matrix Games/War in the Pacific Babe's Edition) including doing new shortcuts for the desktop - and got a "Error 100" in return, no joy. Seems not to work (worked with some other game though).

Do I have to ... rename the original exe, and then install fresh from the game disc?

"One day, Tom, you'll be standing on a box on your bridge, and your ship will be smashed to pieces by bombers and torpedo aircraft; as she sinks, your last words will be "That was a f**ing great mine!""
- Air Marshal Arthur Harris to Adm Tom Phillips
Post #: 1
RE: How to do... a second install? - 5/15/2012 9:12:08 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

As the title says, I want a 2nd install of WitP on my harddrive - simply to keep stock AND have another install for Babes and all its goodies. But how?

I tried to copy the whole install folder (.../Matrix Games/War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition to (.../Matrix Games/War in the Pacific Babe's Edition) including doing new shortcuts for the desktop - and got a "Error 100" in return, no joy. Seems not to work (worked with some other game though).

Do I have to ... rename the original exe, and then install fresh from the game disc?

Odd that, I have two running on mine and all I did was copy the folder and it's contents. The only thing you need to do after is make sure the shortcuts for both games are pointing to the correct location.

Here's a list of WitP errors.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1587178

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 2
RE: How to do... a second install? - 5/15/2012 9:28:49 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

THis is all you have to do ... make sure the properties of the shortcut are pointing to the exe by ensuring that the "TARGET" and "START IN" are correct

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 3
RE: How to do... a second install? - 5/15/2012 10:20:27 AM   
Hotschi

Thank you gentlemen - whatever I've done wrong at my first attempt doing the copy-thing, I have no clue. Maybe I am just too old for these kind of things... Just tried it again according to your advice - and ended up with two working installs. Perfect!

"One day, Tom, you'll be standing on a box on your bridge, and your ship will be smashed to pieces by bombers and torpedo aircraft; as she sinks, your last words will be "That was a f**ing great mine!""

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 4
RE: How to do... a second install? - 5/16/2012 6:33:35 PM   
moore4807

I tried to do the same as Hotschi and had the same result. (error 100) I did check the paths and made sure the .exe was pointed to the new game with no luck. I after getting qualified help from these forums with no success, I just deleted the copies and went back to my original game and added the Babes new scenarios and RA4.1. Come to think of it I also had a h*ll of a time getting Combat Reporter and Tracker loaded when I got this computer... all kinds of java errors - finally fixed and working. Still no 2nd version of AE though!
Im using a Dell XPS i-7 2.2 with 12GB of RAM & Vista64 OS.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 5
RE: How to do... a second install? - 5/16/2012 6:50:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

So um.......hey you guys......the RA 4.1 web site suggests a different way to have the original stock WITP and DBABES or RA 4.1 on your system. It involves creating two copies of the map directory and the data files directory so that you have the original and two copies of each directory ( map and data files ). Then update one of the copies with the map files for RA 4.1 and the data files for RA 4.1. Then to play RA 4.1 just copy the contents of the directory(s) of RA 4.1 into the corresponding original directory(s) and voila you have a working version of RA 4.1. Just copy the contents of the original copy(s) to play Stock WITP.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/16/2012 6:52:54 PM >

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 6
RE: How to do... a second install? - 5/16/2012 7:55:03 PM   
Hotschi

In my mentioned first attempt copying AE into a 2nd folder, I made the mistake to a) create a directory manually - and b) then copy only the content off the stock AE install into that new directory.

The 2nd attempt, I copied the whole install directory (clicking on the directory itself to copy it), then renamed it replacing the suffix Admiral's Edition with Babe's Edition - and it worked.

The only TARGET or START IN pointer I had manually to change was the Editor's one (i.e. where to look for the scen files to open).

I use Jonesoft's mod swapping tool too, but I strictly want stock and Babes separated, as two completely independent installs. There's just so much difference (different slots of units, means different unit patches slots, pwhexe, map and whatever) that having it all in just one install is not the way to go for me - and this way I can play stock AND Babes at the same time without swapping anything around.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 7
RE: How to do... a second install? - 5/16/2012 8:37:11 PM   
Andav

I just ran the installer twice and pointed to two different directories. One went to the default and one went to one I specified. You have to copy the desktop short cut and make sure each points to the correct place.

Wa

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 8
RE: How to do... a second install? - 5/16/2012 11:02:50 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andav
I just ran the installer twice and pointed to two different directories. One went to the default and one went to one I specified. You have to copy the desktop short cut and make sure each points to the correct place.
Wa

I like this method best of all the one's suggested.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> How to do... a second install? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI