The House of CHEATING

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

ULTIMO

The House of CHEATING

Post by ULTIMO »

THE HOUSE of CHEATING: how to become invincible even without knowing how to play

The first witchcraft we are dealing with is really nasty and is called THE KING OF MUD.

Instructions.
1. Play as the Russians.
2. Convince your German opponent that FOR HIM it's NON RANDOM weather is better.
3. As soon as you are in danger of a breakthrough or you are about to loosing a key city or again just for fun, throw him a MUD TURN.

How?
4. Do your turn regularly.
5. Save it.
6. Click on FINISH TURN.
7. Verify both that the MUD TURN happened and comes in the weather zone you prefer.
8. If it does not satisfy one of the 2 conditions above, close, reload the game and try again.

I know it could be annoying, as the chance of having a MUD TURN in July or August 1941 is very low, so you could reload the game even 100 times. But the result is devastating: not only you stop the brave and fierce German general, but also you crack his supply system for a while.

Remember that to become LORD of WEATHER you need to force ALL THE 3 MUD TURNS between July and August 1941.

In the next lesson: how to bomb enemy units without having bombers.
ACHTUNG, PANZER!
Helpless

RE: The House of CHEATING

Post by Helpless »

7. Verify both that the MUD TURN happened and comes in the weather zone you prefer.

What version do you play? Weather rolls and weather is not shown at the end of Axis logistics as it used to be - it was fixed at one of the patches.

Btw, if you really like to report such problems, PM or email is much more preferable. We do get them quite regularly and trying to fix when possible. Thanks
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
76mm

Post by 76mm »

er, I thought that the new, improved, anti-cheating features on the server were supposed to prevent stuff like this?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

er, I thought that the new, improved, anti-cheating features on the server were supposed to prevent stuff like this?

Regardless of the issues, so many reloads on the server should be visible and may get reported.
Pavel Zagzin
ULTIMO

Post by ULTIMO »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

What version do you play? Weather rolls and weather is not shown at the end of Axis logistics as it used to be - it was fixed at one of the patches.

Btw, if you really like to report such problems, PM or email is much more preferable. We do get them quite regularly and trying to fix when possible. Thanks

Sorry if I did something wrong. I thought players should be aware of such bad behaviour. Was not my intention to bother anyone with this.
WITE is the best game ever pubblished and must be protected by cheaters.

I will send you an email to you with other cheating issues.

About this one, I'm using the last version 1.06.06, but I cant be sure of which version my opponents are using. We are not playing on server. PBEM.
ACHTUNG, PANZER!
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Version your opponent is using is shown in the Supply Phase Event Log (shift-e). As said, I can't get it replicated with the latest version, i.e. weather rolls and art are not shown at the end of the logistics.

If you able to get info on coming weather in PBEM with the latest official (or beta) version. Please send your report to 2by3@2by3games.com. Thanks!
Pavel Zagzin
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

"We do get them quite regularly and trying to fix when possible"

What a sorry condemnation of human behavior. Who has the time or inclination to sit around for hours trying to figure out ways to cheat, and then cheat?

Would it be hard to program an "open-save" counter? Make it so that everytime the file is opened it gets tagged with a new identifier. Embed a small program within the program to do this.

I completely trust my 2 current opponents, but I am getting more and more concerned about playing a complete, "stranger."

Marquo

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Marquo

What a sorry condemnation of human behavior. Who has the time or inclination to sit around for hours trying to figure out ways to cheat, and then cheat?

I think you're being too harsh! I think a lot of people stumble upon these things accidentally, and the fact that people report them would seem to indicate that people want the loopholes fixed, not that they hope to take advantage of them!

I'm still completely clueless how I would know if my opponent is cheating, however. The counter idea has been mentioned several times, and seems a good one, not sure why the devs aren't biting? Maybe they realize that cheaters are a large part of the player base [X(]
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

It is like 76 mm says, mostly you stumble across them and the whistleblowers, the players who report them, are the good guys! The bad guys are those who find them and use them and never tell.

I have reported one cheat and two kind of cheesy exploits, two of which have been fixed. Needless to say, I didn't use them, but reported them as soon as I discovered them.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
gids

Post by gids »

now i know how you did those horrible breakthroughs ;)
FB jacky heusequin
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

If you are redownloading your turns, it is all logged on the server, and you will be warned about it [:)]. There is an escalating scale of responses we can take on our end, with an obvious endpoint of a ban from MP play.

We are committed to preventing cheating as much as we possibly can. Fair games are critical to a fun experience.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

I still don't understand why the number of reloads isn't just forwarded to an opponent as a matter of course.They can then make their own mind up as to what constitutes an unreasonable number.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

+1
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Because sometimes things happen, games crash, internet goes down. Some people would understand, others would instantly post to every forum they could find that "X is a cheater! Never play him!". We want to avoid flame wars and accusations. We have real people investigating any redownloads, and we don't want them to have to filter all that data so that it can be sent out to players.

Cheaters get warned, and if they ignore the warnings they get banned.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

Good points; the cheaters would remain covert. But my point is still valid: "Who has the time or inclination to sit around for hours trying to figure out ways to cheat, and then cheat?"

Tiller's Panzer Campaign games have a File Save option for PBEM. I used to try to only play opponents who would agree to not using the File Save option. Some would argue, "The turns take too long, so I need to save." Well, my position was that I wanted to play opponents who had the time and inclinication to finish turns in one sitting. And I did not have any problem finding like-minded opponents.

Marquo

Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

We have real people investigating any redownloads,
Pip

Pip can you clarify something, when you say redownloads do you mean from a single point (time stamp) ie starting a turn & not liking the results & starting again from the same position. Or does it also include playing a part of your turn then saving to the server & coming back later to continue. When I play either against a Human opponent or the AI I normally do my turns in the evening (after Wifey has gone to bed) the problem is that I will also get tired & sometimes will not be able to finish the turn (especially if it is dificult). So I save the game & return to it the next time I have some free time. Would doing that be classed as cheating because if so why have a save game function.
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I think he is talking about PBEM because as soon as you end turn in a server game it passes over to your opponent for their turn
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I used to try to only play opponents who would agree to not using the File Save option. Some would argue, "The turns take too long, so I need to save." Well, my position was that I wanted to play opponents who had the time and inclinication to finish turns in one sitting. And I did not have any problem finding like-minded opponents.

I don't undertand your objection--surely the problem is the people that don't save, not those that do? After losing several turns to computer crashes, freezes, server outages, etc., I save once or twice every turn at this point--what is the problem with that?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Manstein63
I think he is talking about PBEM because as soon as you end turn in a server game it passes over to your opponent for
their turn

doh, I think you're right, I misread his post.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I think it's the ratio of downloads to uploads. For every download, there should be an upload. If you start seeing many more downloads than uploads then it may be due to cheating. If every time you load a save (download), you save the game (upload), then you are ok. So no problem saving mid turn.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Tech Support”