Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

General Petrov

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Tech Support >> General Petrov Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General Petrov - 5/12/2012 6:41:17 AM   
Lebatron

The AI should not be so eager to use its artillery right on General Petrov himself. I had to laugh when he damaged his own forces sitting in the two buildings. Clearly something needs to be done with artillery targeting here.

Attachment (1)

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
Post #: 1
RE: General Petrov - 5/12/2012 11:37:55 AM   
starbuck310

I managed to drop arty on my units too :-)

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 2
RE: General Petrov - 5/12/2012 5:02:52 PM   
RockKahn

Yeah. I believe I read in the manual that indirect fire can damage all units in the target hex(es). Friend and foe.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 3
RE: General Petrov - 5/12/2012 5:14:21 PM   
Jim D Burns

Also most bombardments have a good chance to get delayed. So chances are the AI moved into the bombard area due to an unexpected firing delay. Or was this an at start bombardment?

Jim

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 4
RE: General Petrov - 5/12/2012 5:19:07 PM   
Lebatron

Those 2 units stay in those houses the whole game. It's just plain retarded AI to drop an artillery right on the General himself. Obviously artillery targeting needs some more TLC by Eric.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 5
RE: General Petrov - 5/12/2012 5:20:29 PM   
RockKahn

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think General Petrov starts the scenario in that hex. I didn't know about the chance of delay, though. Thanks for the tip.

Post #: 6
RE: General Petrov - 5/12/2012 5:48:59 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockKahn
Thanks for the tip.

No problem, from what I can tell so far it's scenario specific, not something built into the engine for all bombardments. So read the scenario notes to see if delays are to be expected.

Jim

(in reply to RockKahn)
Post #: 7
RE: General Petrov - 5/12/2012 6:06:15 PM   
ericbabe

There is code that tells the AI not to target its own units, but there is a small chance that it ignores this rule. Maybe we could make that chance scenario dependent, or have it reference the score value of units in the artillery blast zone?

Post #: 8
RE: General Petrov - 5/12/2012 11:35:17 PM   
Lebatron

For this scenario in particular the AI should not drop arty right on those houses for 2 big reasons. 1- killing the General is a goal and the AI just helped me to achieve that by damaging him, and second by damaging the 2 units holding VP locations the AI just made it that much easier for me to clear and secure. No human Soviet player would have made such a blunder. For other scenarios I can see the AI doing a point comparison and taking the chance it does more damage to the enemy than itself.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: General Petrov - 5/13/2012 2:13:47 PM   
Joram

It's a good suggestion to evaluate artillery but the AI will also need to remember where it puts it and then evaluate whether to move units in harms way. Quickly gets quite complex.
Interestingly, in the 10+ times I've played this scenario, I've never seen that happen! I have seen it on occasion in other scenarios particularly when the units are intermingled.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 10
RE: General Petrov - 5/19/2012 4:07:29 AM   
Splusmer

I had a different issue/question with the General Petrov scenario. In the board game (at least the first edition) killing Petrov was supposed to be an instant win for the Germans (I remember this because the first time I played with my opponent I won the scenario on my second dice roll--once to get initiative, and the second time to fire my mortar on him... we spent more time figuring out if it was really a win, but even Ewe conceded that it was valid if very, very lucky).

Anyway, I was interested in trying this in the computer game, but couldn't get the firing solution on the buildings, so went ahead and did it the hard way. I did manage to kill the general on the last turn, but it didn't end immediately, and the result was a draw with each side losing three units (for the Soviets one lost unit was the general).

So is this just a change in the scenario victory conditions from what I remembered, or is it a glitch?

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Tech Support >> General Petrov Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI