Monster Tutorial

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Krupinski

Monster Tutorial

Post by Krupinski »

Did someone master the "Monster Tutorial" as german?

It's nearly impossible! Any tips on that? Thx!
major.pain

RE: Monster Tutorial

Post by major.pain »

Its a tough one. I fail at that. I have it on good authority that this is one of the more difficult scenarios to win as the germans against the AI, putting it in as one of the tutorials is a bit sick.
I skipped over that one to the "General Petrov" scenario, theres only so many back to back defeats i can cope with [:D]
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

The tutorials definitely aren't a cakewalk like in many games. I won the other two - the first in 1 try, the second in 2. I tried the third a couple times and failed, but I have an idea how to succeed. I just need to pull it off.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

My dice hate me is what I've discovered during the dozen or so attempts to beat it. And it doesn't matter if I'm the Germans or Soviets. When the die is cast, it often comes up low. Very, very low.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Give it a try on "Easy" if you're having too much trouble on "Normal". We're going to make sure all the tutorials are set to "Easy" in the next update as well.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I want to go back and tackle it again now that I have a better grasp of the game.
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

Holy cow. I saw something that I wasn't aware of in my prior play of the this one. I've got a couple ideas but I can't say I'm feeling confident about them.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
RockKahn

Post by RockKahn »

I lost Monsters twice playing normal. Then I switched to easy and won the second game on Easy. I'm going go back to Normal to try the strategy used to win on Easy.
I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I know what you mean about the dice rolls. The amount of low rolls seems to be statistically high. I certainly don't want to dumb down the game by skewing the dice toward high rolls, all I would hope is that the rolls are completely statistically accurate. Maybe we just have a lot of bad luck stored up for use in this game's dice rolls.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I don't know - for every miss I've gotten with 70% probability to hit, I've also hit with 16% probability.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Speaking of dice rolls. It seems like 50% of the time I roll a 4. I wish there was a statistics page for game conclusion that showed the total dice rolls for each sum, and then a final overall average. I need to know if 4 is coming up way more often than it should:)
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I see the 4 a lot too.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Maybe record it. But you know your chances of rolling 4 are the same every time you roll.
It seems intuitively wrong, especially when you are losing, but it is the same. At the real life Battle of Midway the USN rolled "Boxcars" (or "snake eyes"- whatever) four times in a row.
The old infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of typewriters..... here is proof:
"Call me Ishmael, but don't call me late for dinner. Azm%$wqp][" - a thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters for one year.
cheers
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

I know, but I still want a complete log of the entire games dice rolls so I can see just where my and my opponents average was. Other MP games do so, I would like to see that included here as well.
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

So has anyone figured out a solid strategy for this scenario?

I have tried grouping tanks, smoke to blind them, tried placing my AT guns together in a group and I am getting massacred by the Soviets. With 5 turns you really can't go on the defensive.

Oh, the dice hate me and the Soviets always get better cards lol :)

Tired of losing my Pz IIIe's to T-26b's haha, that 45mm gun is killing me!
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

I'm going to beat this scenario someday, but it's quickly becoming the single most difficult wargame scenario I've ever played.
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

I agree Bison, I recall I had a tough tutorial scenario with HPS' Red Victory, but this by far is the toughest. T-34's arent even needed, I am pretty much ineffective as a fighting force at that point.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

One small error in Monsters that can have a big impact on balance is the initiative. It's supposed to be the Germans that start so that they can do a smoke round or whatever first thing. Instead in the PC version the starting force is random. This should be fixed.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

It took me about two days to beat the scenario. I use my 1st two turns to lay smoke and protect my PzIIIe units. Once they are obscured the AI always moves a T-26 forward. I let it advance close enough so I can easily take it out. I move the left flank forward and add the Pz IIIe units to that advance also. The anti-tank guns move forward and bear toward the right using the light woods. I leave as little as possible to hold the right and focus most of my forces to the left. I use my best units to take the objectives in the center and I send two units along the left side to take the rear objectives. If I lose one of the PzIIIe units right away I hit the restart button. I'm sure that there are other ways to win this scenario. I hope this helps.
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

I don't care for scenarios where your fate is decided on the luck of the dice (like losing a PzIIIe first turn). There should be enough room in the scenario to have some bad dice rolls but still prevail if you had good tactical sense. If the only way to win the scenario is to roll well and the Soviets to roll poorly I don't consider that mastering the scenario.

I'm still reserving judgement on this scenario, I can give it some leeway since its a training scenario and war is meant to be hell. Monsters is the
kobayashi maru of Conflict of Heroes :)
ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

It took me about two days to beat the scenario. I use my 1st two turns to lay smoke and protect my PzIIIe units. Once they are obscured the AI always moves a T-26 forward. I let it advance close enough so I can easily take it out. I move the left flank forward and add the Pz IIIe units to that advance also. The anti-tank guns move forward and bear toward the right using the light woods. I leave as little as possible to hold the right and focus most of my forces to the left. I use my best units to take the objectives in the center and I send two units along the left side to take the rear objectives. If I lose one of the PzIIIe units right away I hit the restart button. I'm sure that there are other ways to win this scenario. I hope this helps.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”