The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A)

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]:: The Elephant Vanishes ::[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Japanese Scenario 1 :: obvert vs Historiker

After many exchanges in each other's AARs Historiker proposed playing a slow paced game (2-3 turns per week) when his recent campaign as Allies came to a very early end. Even in those first turns I learned I will play an opponent who will offer some challenges for me from the beginning.

Torsten is the more experienced player, and from all I can determine through his AARs he will take some calculated and aggressive risks. To remain on schedule in the SRA and elsewhere I will have to be very thorough, organized and aggressive myself.

We decided on HRs fairly easily. I decided to open the doors to a few things Torsten suggested just to see what will occur. I agreed to allow 4E naval bombing below 10k. I don't think this will change the whole game, and I'm just curious how it will work. We also agreed to the Chinese Reservation so that if the Chinese collapse they can fall back and regroup, providing a more plausible game than a total annihilation of the KMT.

Perhaps the most interesting deviation from most HR sets is allowing non-base landings. This seems very plausible to me and might just give more options to each of us at various points in the game. Or we might end up with a few units completely disrupted and stuck in the jungle!

House Rules
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[font="Trebuchet MS"]
FOW ON
advanced Weather OFF
Allied damage control ON
PDU ON
historical first turn OFF
Dec 7 surprise ON
reliable USN torps OFF
realistic R&D ON
no unit withdrawels OFF

combat reports ON
auto sub ops OFF
TF move radius ON
plane move radius ON
facilities expand OFF
auto upgrade ships and airgroups OFF
auto air and ground replacements OFF

turn cycle 1 TURN

No Night bombing at less than 50% moonlight
Max sweep at second best maneuver band.
No Strategic bombing in China by either side for the entire war.

PPs to be paid to change a restricted unit to an unrestricted command before marching accross a border.
Thai units can move into Burma and Malaya.
Chinese units can be given orders on the first turn.
A Chinese 'Reservation' in the central four cities until 1/44 should the rest of China collapse.

One CV portstrike on turn 1.
Allies can only give orders to existing TFs on turn 1. Force Z may be re-directed.
Invasions on hexes that don´t contain a dot or base are allowed.

No (other nation) Allied air or naval units in Russia are allowed, even if Russia is activated.
[/font]

Currently I am about 2/3 finished with the first turn and I should be able to get the rest together by sometime later Saturday or early Sunday. I always forget just how much there is to get organized and moving. I'm sure there will be plenty I'll forget, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can from my recent start and do it better this time. More on that soon.

This AAR is currently OPEN to Torsten and will remain so until Saturday night. I'll post something when I send the turn saying when he is no longer allowed to stop in.

Sent out to various parts of the US on December 8, 1941.
Attachments
AlanLomax.jpg
AlanLomax.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
JocMeister

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A)

Post by JocMeister »

This one I will certainly follow. Will give you as much advice as I can without "shooting myself in the foot" (swedish saying)! [:D]
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Too sad I won't be able to read this AAR until I have forced your capitulation [;)]
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Historiker

Too sad I won't be able to read this AAR until I have forced your capitulation [;)]

Hopefully we'll have to use another ship as the Missouri will be sitting at the bottom of the South China Sea and you'll be able to do flyovers with formations of P-80 Shooting Stars! [;)]

I look forward to the struggle!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

This one I will certainly follow. Will give you as much advice as I can without "shooting myself in the foot" (swedish saying)! [:D]

Yes, keep your foot intact. You'll need it to begin stomping on me in our game soon. [:)]

I'll welcome any and all suggestions. Luckily this game will be well behind ours so nothing should cross over too much.

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Hopefully we'll have to use another ship as the Missouri will be sitting at the bottom of the South China Sea and you'll be able to do flyovers with formations of P-80 Shooting Stars! [;)]

I look forward to the struggle!
Yes, I'm really looking forward to this! I guess this will be a great match!

btw: What's the story behind the title?
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
obvert

Post by obvert »

btw: What's the story behind the title?

I started titling my AARs for Japanese games based on the titles of books by my favorite Japanese writer, Haruki Murakami. He writes mostly novels, but in them there is a lot of the legacy of what happened in the war and in Manchuria especially. So for 'South of the Border, West of the Sun' I thought it not only worked but sounded right. So I've just kept on with it. I've picked one that came from the feeling I had during the last (or previous but current) game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Vanishes
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

I see. So I'll propably name my AAR "Ivory hunt" [;)]

obvert

Post by obvert »

I see. So I'll propably name my AAR "Ivory hunt" [;)]

Love it! [:D]
obvert

Post by obvert »

The first turn is away!

No more visits from Torsten please.

I may not have time to run his return until tomorrow. Killing me, but it is the weekend and I have another turn in my box plus the GF waiting to watch a film.

Tomorrow it will begin for real.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I will look forward to see what lessons you have learned in your other game that you can apply here.

Big question - Where will the Empire be on 1 Jan '43?? India, China, Australia, South Pacific, Central Pacific, and Aleutians. Which is your main focus going to be??

Are you going to use the modified Pwhex files that impose stacking limits?? It will make China more of a challenge now and Burma/India later.
[center]Image[/center]
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Allright, I bid my farewell to this thread and won't be here again until I've forced you into submission.
I can't wait to achieve it [;)]

obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]Strategy and Tactics[/font]

Now the doors are open to begin discussions about the game itself. Firstly, I will not be as detailed in this AAR as with the Wild Sheep's Chase. I just don't have time. I'll do my best, but if the game takes off at some point past the 2-3 turns a day we've agreed on, I will struggle to post everything relevant. I will give more combat reports and try to keep the major events up to date.

This will be a chance to see what I've learned about the Japanese economy and force structure, research and production, as well as how to use the elements strategically and tactically.

The Opponent: Historiker (Torsten) appears to be fairly aggressive and experienced. He also has read a good portion of my posts, and maybe more than I realize. I'll attempt to use his aggressiveness against him. Also, I will vary what I've done before to keep him guessing, in direct missions and in more strategic planning and hopefully also in tactical style. I have some ideas to play with now.

If his style is aggressive, mine will be slow and methodical. I want to take care of my forces and units. The first punch of turn 1 should be a right hook, but for the next week there will only be jabs and feints unless other opportunities present themselves.

SRA and PI: The first turn will see most usual invasions with the secondary TFs at Samah speeded up toward Malaya with the quick surface forces available there in the magic TFs. No Mersing, no Singkawang on turn 1, not even Kuching or Miri. I'll hold and see where his forces are deployed, unload a lot of slow badly designed convoys and reload on fast transports. I may not have anything on Borneo for several days or a week.

The one incursion I'll make on turn 1 is to Sorong. This will become scouting base number 1 for this region. I want to see what's moving. Then will come Ternate and possibly Manado. I'll wait a few days to go for Mindanao until the US CAs and the other surface forces are located.

There will be a strong strike on the port at Minilla turn 1 with anything that will fly that far. Then a bunch of sweeps without bombing runs. Then more bombing once the P-40s get thin.

Para-drops will land on Luzon at Vigan and at that base one hex from Aparri with the small PA unit in it.

The Bataan Island invasion will be the one heading to Sorong.

Pacific: Wake will not go immediately. I'll unload and recompose the TFs to throw two ground units into it. Also, I'm VERY concerned about a CV strike in the Marshalls. I will evac all valuable shipping and even get the Claudes out. No sense trashing stuff when I know I can't stop an attack anyway. The Nells will remain, and could get a lucky shot in by flying low, so that's how I'll use them.

There will be no quick moves to The Solomons. I'll wait until the KB begins to come back that way.

The Guam invasion will unload and recompose its TF, then head to Truk on the way to Rabaul. The cover force of the 4 CAs will move to Truk to become a fast transport if the situation presents itself. If the Allied CVs come close, these are at least quick enough to get out of the way.

Pearl Harbor: Vanilla. Might go for day two, but with planes set on naval/port and the KB in an unusual position to the E of PH. I'll also sweep heavily in the morning phase, and any port strikes that go will be afternoon. Subs will be used to screen for the KB and a CL/DD will be detached as a SCTF. Then the KB will sprint back to support first the Wake invasion, then the Cent Pac and So Pac moves.

AOs will be sent to Marcus. Only the 4 19 knot ones with 4 DDs. They will wait and see if the coast is clear before a potential rendezvous near Wake.

China: This will NOT be my focus for this game, surprisingly. I've figure out that China can be defeated, but it doesn't necessarily need an all-out effort to be successful. I'd like to try a few other things instead. More info about the alternatives will come soon.

The IJA in China begins all out of whack, not at full strength and with low moral. Most units will rest for a week before doing anything. I'll begin buying up to 2E for bombing units, but won't commit the entire IJAAF here this time. I'll focus on clearing the South and East, then on Sian and Lanchow to take away the fuel. Changsha will come later. Nanning and Liuchow after that if possible.

The Economy: This time around I have a decent blueprint for where I'd like to go with research, production and ship building.

To build pools early all non-essential ships will be turned off. I also hope to accelerate ALL CVs. We'll see if this works.

Extra research will be put into the Tojo this time from the beginning. Also more into the Frank and several late-war models like the Ki-83 and the Sam especially. It's a travesty to have to keep using Zeros after 43, and I will try to get this plane VERY far forward with this investment. Hopefully up to a year ahead, but most likely more like 8-9 months. never been there, so not sure if I can pull it off. But I might as well try.

Less emphasis will be put on bomber types except for the IJNAF models, the Judy and the Grace.

I'll also toy with moving the jets up into 45. Not sure this will work either, or if it will matter with their service rating 5 and being that late. Just want to try them out, and I hope to last that long.

With China eating a lot of supply last time around I had to put a hold on certain expansions and even quickly repairing the Miri Oil. That will not occur this time around. China may get a boost occasionally, but setting up a good base in the SRA and in the Pacific will be the primary goal, plus any other minor offensive plans that take shape after the SRA is taken.

Looking forward to the game. Now for the replay of turn 1.

Attachments
carrierstart2.jpg
carrierstart2.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

From what I have seen of Torsten in his own AARs he looks really agressive! I think you should use that against him. Look weak and overextended in a given area. Perhaps a early invasion of Christmas Island or perhaps Suva/Pago Pago. See if you can lure him out and then smash him with the KB. If you can get his CV early it will allow you to expand rapidly without KB cover. Your tactic against me to grab stuff early was really effective. But I think you are wise to take it a little slower against Torsten. You were really agressive against me and had I been more experienced I think I could have made you bleed alot!

Are you playing for VPs? If so, perhaps try one of his own moves against him? A quick thrust to grab some VPs and/or destroy industry. India and Oz could be targets! If you move on either early on they are very week and your Zeroes rule the skies and the allied pools are empty.

Oh, and get Perth. Early on its vital. Atleast it was for me in the first three months!
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

From what I have seen of Torsten in his own AARs he looks really agressive! I think you should use that against him. Look weak and overextended in a given area. Perhaps a early invasion of Christmas Island or perhaps Suva/Pago Pago. See if you can lure him out and then smash him with the KB. If you can get his CV early it will allow you to expand rapidly without KB cover. Your tactic against me to grab stuff early was really effective. But I think you are wise to take it a little slower against Torsten. You were really agressive against me and had I been more experienced I think I could have made you bleed alot!

Are you playing for VPs? If so, perhaps try one of his own moves against him? A quick thrust to grab some VPs and/or destroy industry. India and Oz could be targets! If you move on either early on they are very week and your Zeroes rule the skies and the allied pools are empty.

Oh, and get Perth. Early on its vital. Atleast it was for me in the first three months!

It's great to see you on this side of things!

I agree, it's really going to be critical how I respond to him knowing he will want to mess up the schedule and has a lot of experience doing just that. A little quiet might make him wonder and expose some units in places he expects me to move.

We'll see soon! Report coming later.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Haha,

Have to watch my tongue a bit and don´t give away stuff the would hurt ME! [:D]
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Good luck, Obvert!

I have to second the opinion that Torsten is aggressive. [:D] He and I have been friends for a couple of years and played a Guadalcanal match before starting our May 1, 1942 campaign game. I'm sure you've seen what he did with the entire KB and Baby KB in the Coral Sea recently. ;)

I'll be reading both sides of this match, when I have the time, so I won't comment much, but you are also spot on that Torsten likes to read as many AAR's as he can to gain an understanding of his opponents. He's a fierce competitor, but a super guy, who is quite reasonable about negotiating things along the way. He play to win, but mostly to have fun. [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: USS America

Good luck, Obvert!

I have to second the opinion that Torsten is aggressive. [:D] He and I have been friends for a couple of years and played a Guadalcanal match before starting our May 1, 1942 campaign game. I'm sure you've seen what he did with the entire KB and Baby KB in the Coral Sea recently. ;)

I'll be reading both sides of this match, when I have the time, so I won't comment much, but you are also spot on that Torsten likes to read as many AAR's as he can to gain an understanding of his opponents. He's a fierce competitor, but a super guy, who is quite reasonable about negotiating things along the way. He play to win, but mostly to have fun. [8D]

Thanks for stopping in! I'll try to give him something back once in a while.

Torsten has been great to negotiate with so far, but also full of playful bravado. He's let me know what I'm in for more than once! I'll be on my toes for sure, at least when I'm not flat on my face.
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]7 Dec 1941[/font]

Not a bad day 1. I'm always concerned I'll forget something critical, (and I did forget to change one preset attack, but nothing catastrophic). Turn 2 will really be the more critical as the Allies have more of a chance to respond.

subs: Ha-14 sneaks into Pearl and hits the Maryland with one small torpedo. All other minis die miserably.

Pacific: The strike at Pearl went about as expected. One BB, the Oklahoma, goes down during the day. Several others are badly damaged. Not a terrible strike on the airfield, but not great either.

Strangely, one Kate group flew in later than the rest of the strike. I haven't seen that before. Losses were't too bad, and only 4 pilots KIA on the day.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 108 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 35 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 90
B5N2 Kate x 117
D3A1 Val x 135

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed by flak
B5N2 Kate: 5 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 1 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed, 19 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 93 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 5 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 17 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 2 destroyed on ground
B-18A Bolo: 27 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 1 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 19 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 12 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 52 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 5 destroyed on ground
R3D-2: 1 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 6 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground
SBD-1 Dauntless: 33 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 1 destroyed on ground
C-33: 1 damaged
C-33: 1 destroyed on ground
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 damaged
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CM Oglala, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 3, on fire
BB California, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires
DD Bagley, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 3, on fire
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires
DM Montgomery, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AV Wright, Bomb hits 1
AV Curtiss
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 1
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 4
CL Helena, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Patterson, Torpedo hits 1
DD Monaghan, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
CL Raleigh, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DM Gamble, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Jarvis, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Downes, Bomb hits 1
AO Ramapo, Bomb hits 1
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1

Allied ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 1
Airbase hits 15
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 59
Port hits 22
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Raid detected at 88 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 37 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 39
B5N2 Kate x 27

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CM Oglala, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB California, Bomb hits 1

Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/font]

I'm thinking a day 2 strike will be in order, but that he'll come out for me or create some other major disturbance. From reading my comments in other threads I'm sure Torsten will realize I'll put the KB planes on naval/port strike. What he doesn't know is where they'll come from or how they will be allocated.

I will sweep with two zero groups, so around 35 planes. Some Vals/Kates will be set to Pearl, others will be commander discretion for the port strikes just in case he runs some over to Lahaina or elsewhere. I'll lose some planes, but if he send out some SCTFs there is also the chance we could take out some CA/CL/DD.

All subs are forming a cordon around Pearl to wait for whatever comes.

Cent Pac: The Wake invasion is reforming and heading to Eniweitok. Subs are moving to positions that might give info if a CV TF comes toward Kweijalein.

I forgot to turn off the Nell strike at Wake and lost four of those, but somehow only two pilots KIA.

One invasion went to Tarawa. It will land tomorrow, then try to scurry NW to get out of the way of the CVs or surface threats.

So Pac: Nothing here yet. All TFs at Truk finished unloading and disbanded.

China: All units stood down to rest except those heading to Hong Kong and one at Pengpu hitting the Chinese unit there. Today 40 squads of Chinese infantry were destroyed. That's the goal!

Bombers hit Hong Kong ports and did some damage to the AKs there. They also damaged some planes and put 52 hits on the fields. More of the same tomorrow.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 7
Ki-44 Tojo x 6
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 12
Ki-51 Sonia x 24

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Walrus II: 5 damaged
Vildebeest III: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Hanyang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Hinsang, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAKL Yat Shing, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Haraldsvang, Bomb hits 1
xAK Hai Lee, Bomb hits 2
xAK Ming Sang, Bomb hits 1
xAK Munlock, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 51
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 8000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb
12 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 8000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/font]

Malaya: All TFs made it to Malaya unscathed and began unloading. Khota Bharu will get a DA tomorrow.

Nates performed well taking down numerous small strikes against our shipping. The only notable kills are 2 swordfish.

The bombing of Khota Bharu, Georgetown and Alor Star went well with no losses and quite a few aircraft destroyed. Tomorrow only defensive CAP missions and ASW will be flown, (unless I missed standing down a group that will fly to their deaths unescorted).

Netties are set just short of Singapore in case something ventures up to North Borneo or toward the Malayan landings.

DEI: A magic move TF went to Sorong which should fall tomorrow to a SNLF. This is the one scheduled for Bataan Island. Two xAKLs will continue to unload supply while all other ships will retreat North.

PI: At Manila a port strike did better than expected. Four subs are listed as sunk now, but many more were hit if the report is correct. It certainly looked in the replay like the damage shown in the report, and many of the hits were 800kg monsters as well. Happy about this one.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 109 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 38 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 90
G3M2 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 81

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
SS Sailfish, Bomb hits 2
SS Saury, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Seadragon, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Pike, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
AM Whippoorwill, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AM Tanager, Bomb hits 1, on fire
PG Isabel, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Searaven, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
SS S-40, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
SS Sealion, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
xAK Yu Sang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
PT-41, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
PG Tulsa, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Shark, Bomb hits 1
xAP President Madison, Bomb hits 1
SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 1
SS Salmon, Bomb hits 1
DD Pillsbury, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Stingray, Bomb hits 1
SS Sargo, Bomb hits 1
SS Seawolf, Bomb hits 2
SS Tarpon, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
DD Peary, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Tantalus, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Porpoise, Bomb hits 1
SS Snapper, Bomb hits 1
AO Pecos, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAP Rochambeau, Bomb hits 2
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1
SS S-37, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AS Holland, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 2
Port hits 13
Port fuel hits 7

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
27 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
27 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
27 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 8000 feet
9 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 8000 feet
21 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 8000 feet *
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 8000 feet *

CAP engaged:
6th PS PAAC with P-26A (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes

Massive explosion on AVD Childs

[/font]

Until Aparri and Vigan are set up with airfields sweeps will be limited.

Vigan was taken by para-assault, as was Tuguegarao, where the elite paratroopers nearly wiped out a PA battalion.

Ground combat at Tuguegarao (82,74)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 162 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13

Defending force 491 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 24

Japanese adjusted assault: 9

Allied adjusted defense: 3

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tuguegarao !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Allied ground losses:
177 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 13 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /1

Defending units:
3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/font]

The most interesting and potentially dangerous item of the day is a TF of 2 Allied ships that could be Boise (and Houston?) NW of Babeldaob. This is two hexes from where the Ryujo TF set up to bomb Cagayan (2 B-17s destroyed). A SCTF of two CAs with two DDs has been detached and will travel with the CV and her imbedded escort of 1 CA 3 DD toward the North and the HI where she will re-size groups and get some zeros. I'm not going to Takao to avoid the subs, but if this is Boise we'll see if the CV even makes it past tomorrow.

If these Allied ships are heading to Babeldaob for a raid, nothing should be there other than disbanded ships. The Sorong TF won't make it that far north by tomorrow, but could be in danger the following day.

Attachments
128baba..Mindanao.jpg
128baba..Mindanao.jpg (229.66 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Agreed on the second strike! Only Maryland and WV with heavy damage. It looks like you couldn´t repeat the the success on your stike against me. I´m sure a second strike will take care of that.

Any sign of Force Z? You can bet he is going to try and wreck one of your landings somewhere with it!

Return to “After Action Reports”