Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ Orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> HQ Orders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ Orders - 5/10/2012 7:12:39 PM   
Marshal Villars

Any advice on how I can move a divisional or corps HQ without moving everything attached to it? Quickly? Or do I need to give orders to each unit directly attached to get them to stay put for when I actually move the HQ?
Post #: 1
RE: HQ Orders - 5/10/2012 8:21:26 PM   
nate25

I think you'll have to detach the assets and then move the HQ.

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to Marshal Villars)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ Orders - 5/10/2012 9:21:02 PM   
Lieste

TBH, I rarely have much directly attached to the highest level HQ - the depot, possibly a small artillery reserve and an AT detachment. Most of the rest is deployed forward under it's own commander with orders in progress. I only regroup units to their higher HQ for administrative movements, or to relieve command load in static and non-active portions of the front.

Not that I don't use major formations for operations sometimes - I have launched Divisional attacks on occasion, though it is usually Regt/Bn with mutual support by presence/coordination.

Regt HQ is usually: The HQ, The base if not grouped into a rear-area-support-group, or moving to intimate support range, infantry artillery not actively supporting a line Bn... which is agile enough to displace without huge problems to subordinates.

Divisional HQ usually has a few more supports, as I keep the reserves and group Regt support etc here... or under a rear HQ under this level command... but it also doesn't need to displace quite so often... and it should be a big deal when you do. It sometimes took days to sort out after an HQ movement, and usually hours at least.

An obvious point is that maybe HQ shouldn't be on the enemy 'Rollbahn' - major arteries and towns are great and all, but that large village on the B Road 3 miles away might be a lot safer... and the rough ground & woods in the valley behind might be safer still, although less easy to work in. Supply is more tied to the road network but again a crossroads on two major routes might not be the wisest choice... too obvious and too risky if there is a collapse of the front and mechanised penetration.

Artillery is more capable of self-protection, so it can be used for area-denial quite usefully, just avoid long-range site lines if he has any sort of CB potential.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 6:50:31 AM   
Marshal Villars

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

I think you'll have to detach the assets and then move the HQ.

How does one "detach" assets without giving a new order which will take time to implement. Let's say that units are involved in a complex attack and it has taken hours to plan and suddenly your HQ needs to be moved. As far as I know there is no "detach" button which will simply allow this to happen without a many hours long hiccup. Or?

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 7:05:42 AM   
Marshal Villars

...or actually, a better example... lets say your div HQ has 7-8 minor assets sitting around guarding bridges and all are entrenched and in place for defense. If you move them -- even just a little -- they lose the defensive benefits of their entrenchments. To detach them, I need to give orders to each of the minor units before moving the HQ (or the minor assets will all move to the location I have told the HQ to move to).

What should I do in this situation? Give a "defend" order and hit "in-situ" (making it so the unit won't move and thereby won't give up its entrenchments)?

Post #: 5
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 7:09:54 AM   
Arjuna

That's right.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 6
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 7:15:40 AM   
Lieste

If you are doing that you should also try to group all of the bridge defenders under one command and issue one in-situ defence... this saves overloading the map-boss HQ with lots of little units.

So long as no movement is required this will be adequately accomplished by just 'assigning' the order to the group of guards - one Coy/Platoon will be made 'HQ' of the group. No significant penalty will be felt, no matter how large the grouping or 'inefficient' the staff is. When moving, just be aware that the 'new' "HQ" will carry the subordinates if displacing, so remember to redefine the group and hold-in-situ before moving the required unit.

Avoid using groups of Companies in 'direct' combat/movement as they will be far less flexible and responsive... try to find an HQ to form a Kampfgruppe around. Sometimes this isn't possible, and you can then use small groups of companies to coordinate together... but keep the formations small - two or three companies acting together will do better on average than the same 2-3 acting alone, but may take a little longer to get rolling. A Rgt/Bn HQ will give the same improvement to coordination/support but with shorter delays.

< Message edited by Lieste -- 5/11/2012 7:19:05 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 7
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 7:26:50 AM   
Marshal Villars

Thanks for the tips. :)

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 8
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 8:20:11 AM   
Marshal Villars

Here is another HQ question. Actually right along the lines of the first question. But a better example.

My German Bn HQ is in trouble. I have launched an attack to take the town of Best and its environs. The attack took some time to develop and the companies are en route. However, inconveniently an enemy armored platoon has popped up behind the HQ and is rapidly approaching. Now, I want to get the Bn HQ out of there as quickly as possible.

How do I move the Bn HQ out of danger without bringing the attack to a screeching halt and forcing a two hour re-think? Is it even possible?

And why would a 3 company attack have to come to a screeching halt if the Bn HQ relocates about 300-500 meters? (I was never in the army, I don't know)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marshal Villars -- 5/11/2012 8:41:10 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 8:40:55 AM   
Lieste

Artillery, lots of it... and then once the line units are in close contact, give them a defend in place order (need not be in-situ, but can be - one that preserves the unit formation approximately and max aggro/losses will be close)... now bug the HQ out with max losses/min aggro and masses of artillery...

No support available and you have trouble.

Trying to extract that HQ is probably doomed by order delay even if you were prepared to sacrifice the on-going attack. This might buy enough time to accomplish both... even if the HQ is retreated, the attack will probably still land.

'Formation change' to "All round" might protect the rear of the HQ a bit. Won't hurt the attack too much either.

< Message edited by Lieste -- 5/11/2012 8:42:23 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 8:42:48 AM   
Marshal Villars

I agree with your analysis Lieste.

Is this realistic though? Would a 3 company attack be totally cancelled with all 3 companies freezing in place just because their HQ has moved 300 to 500 meters? Is that realistic is my main question?

< Message edited by Marshal Villars -- 5/11/2012 9:22:52 AM >

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 11
RE: HQ Orders - 5/11/2012 1:12:50 PM   
Lieste

As your attack planning is still in progress... yes quite possibly ;)

Once it is underway though.. no.
A displace HQ option which temporarily severs C^3 during the move and HQ reorg would be useful, one that leaves subordinates alone, unless a whole new order is given to the formation.

My suggested option, is I feel not wholly unrealistic either - an HQ that is "doing it's job" can't just move instantly (though the mobile elements can ~ here the commander is different to his HQ in essence).

There is some scope for additional or alternative methods, but what we have can be adapted to serve most ends.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> HQ Orders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI