Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 821 past first page.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 821 past first page. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/21/2012 9:10:18 PM   
notenome

Now I have little to no experience attacking in the mud (cause I never do). There are 5 isolated Axis divisions with 1-1 combat values, but my own units are in poor shape and have almost no mps, Are hasty attacks efective? I don't think I'll be able to surrender them... whats the best way to go about it?

EDIT: I booted up a vs AI game and tried some attacks in mud, my CVs dropped to zero almost instantly, those divs are probably gonna get to live unless there's something I'm not seeing here.

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 31
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/21/2012 9:15:43 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: notenome

Now I have little to no experience attacking in the mud (cause I never do). There are 5 isolated Axis divisions with 1-1 combat values, but my own units are in poor shape and have almost no mps, Are hasty attacks efective? I don't think I'll be able to surrender them... whats the best way to go about it?

EDIT: I booted up a vs AI game and tried some attacks in mud, my CVs dropped to zero almost instantly, those divs are probably gonna get to live unless there's something I'm not seeing here.

Deliberate attcks against isolated units in mud can work. Hasty as Soviets against German - no.

Edit: Some of your posts read like they should have pictures, but there aren't any.

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 5/21/2012 9:16:32 PM >

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 32
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/21/2012 9:18:37 PM   
notenome

Yeah logistical difficulties, first I uploaded the pics on the wrong AAR, and then I uploaded them here (after deleting them) without the pics, all fixed now. Let's hope Abwehr didn't make use of this leak of information.

Problem with attacks is that all my units around the panzers are 1-1 and don't have enough mps for an attack. I'm thinking the best option is just going to be to form a coccon around the pnnzers, keep them isolated for another week, and hope next turn I can do some damage.

< Message edited by notenome -- 5/21/2012 9:20:59 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 33
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/22/2012 2:42:57 PM   
Rodimstev

Hi,

thanks for your AAR.

I have just a question why or how yours units (divisions for example) have a color inside (yellow or red or white) in function i think a army group or front?

thanhs a lot for your answer.

Rodimstev.

"l'audace encore de l'audace toujours de l'audace" Danton devant l'assemblée nationale 20 septembre 1792.

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 34
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/22/2012 7:53:29 PM   
notenome

The game has different settings for aura (color around units) I normally use the chain of command option.
Yellow-Unit subordinated to the same higher HQ as currently selected unit
Red- Unit subordinated to the HQ that I have currently selected but outside of max range.
Blue- Unit subordinated to the HQ that I have currently selected but inside of max range.

Most of the time the units you see in yellow are STAVKA units, which are extremely useful for a variety of reasons.

(in reply to Rodimstev)
Post #: 35
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/22/2012 11:06:03 PM   
notenome

A not catastrophic turn. Leningrad holds fairly intact. In the South the panzer divisions are resuplied after two weeks of isolation, but a corrider will allow me to pull out all of SW front intact. In the Center I foresaw a flank towards Tula, but coultn't do anything about it, and that's what I got. This is before Soviet moves. In the rear the cavalry units continue to attempt to break Axis rail lines, but two decided to spontaneously surrender. I hate it that when a pocket its closed the entire marshes all of a sudden flip Axis.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 36
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/23/2012 3:05:18 AM   
notenome

Quick question, I more than doubled the Red Airforce's presence this turn, doing a badly needed air overhaul. What is a good number of aircraft per Soviet ABs? I generally try to keep it at 100 per AB and morale above 50.

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 37
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/23/2012 4:05:41 AM   
Flaviusx

For bombers, I try to stick to 6 groups. With fighters early on the regiments are so small and require so little support that you can safely pack an airbase to the max 9 groups with support to spare if need be.

If you're looking to force the AI to produce airbases, then 6 minimum in all of them. If not, then you may actually want to keep some undermanned airbases just to prevent the AI from producing yet more of them.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 38
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/23/2012 6:16:01 PM   
notenome

ah I see, I wasn't looking at group numbers, but instead at total number of aircraft per airbase. Personally I tired to keep the SAD ABs empty but thats not an option anymore, the Red Airforce has gotten too big.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 39
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/23/2012 10:10:47 PM   
Callistrid

I advise you:
1. to give up the bottom of the Dnyepr line. 15 div stand there for nothing...
2. with some units move near the german mot units to block his refit.
3. the full of the moscow front must be reserve, and send there all your reinforcement. keep your eyes on tula. the german will flanking you
4. on south surround the german mot units. Bobo will be sad with his 10-20 mp divs next turn
6. give up poltava, and move back, to be 4-5 hex from the german infantry.

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 40
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/23/2012 10:50:21 PM   
notenome

Turn 11- A not great turn. Leningrad has all but fallen, which saddens me. I did not want to loose the city. In the center 821 sends the panzers to encircle some of the remnants of SW front, who have basically spent the entire war fighting themselves out of encirclement. I thought he was going to try to flank the Oka. He didn't, and time will tell if that was a mistake. In the South a rather strong assault on the Crimean peninsula, which puzzles me greatly, surely those troops can be better used elsewhere? Regardless, a thrust is made towards Kharkov. The Axis are down to 1k operational tanks, and I intend to drop that number further. The average panzer divison has a CV between 5 and 8 now. I am contemplating triple stacking the hexes in front of Moscow. There isn't much space to give anymore and the Axis are having trouble breaking strong lines. Opinions?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Callistrid)
Post #: 41
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/24/2012 1:44:06 AM   
notenome

We counterattack a full panzerstack and succeed, with heavy losses on both sides. 87 afvs lost for the Axis.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 42
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/26/2012 5:49:32 PM   
notenome

Turn 12:

Leningrad fell, though brave defenders continue resisiting in the NW part of the city. The Northern front shall conduct a fighting retreat.

In the center the fascists continue to inch towards Moscow. There our first Guards division has formed, with a record of 9 wins and 2 losses. It is in the center that my greatest dilema presents itself, do I evacuate the Orel bulge? Or reinforce it?

In the South some mobile units have broken through but an opportunity presents itself for a counterattack and isolation of those elements. 821 has sent a very strong force to take Sevastopol, something I consider to be a grave mistake.

I am at a crossroads in all three sectors. Should I just pull back northern front and sent them wholesale to Moscow? Should I start stacking in front of Moscow, something I have so far avoided doing? And how should I best defend the Bryansk-Orel-Kursk Area?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 43
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/26/2012 6:57:49 PM   
notenome

Well we manage to isolate the southern spearhead, though it was a close run thing. Since I couldn't muster up enough divisions to get an advantage in CV terms, I had to revert to my Zukhov tactics. Four ground bombardments, followed by 3 suicidal hasty attacks, followed by the main assault. By the end the defending stack were all in the red in terms of supply, and since they are isolated now, they'll stay that way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 44
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/27/2012 12:11:40 AM   
notenome

End of turn report.

Trying to do a better job reporting the trials and tribulations of this AAR. Aside from the major counterattack that isolated the panzers down south, it's been mostly realignment. Since most troops get sent to Moscow, we have a real shortage in the Kharkov-Kursk-Orel area, which has forced me to improvise. Our new defensive set up for SW and Bryansk fronts is a picket line, a main line and a blocking detachment line. The hope is that the picket line will delay offensives, the main line will absorb attacks and the blocking line will prevent exploitation (as well as shooting cowardly deserters. Theoretically it looks like this:

P ML B

II x
x II
II x
x II
II x

It's the rich man's economy of force measure (the checkerboard being the poor man's economy of force measure).

In other news, casualty analysis results in this:

Loss ratio:
Men- 6:1
Guns- 12:1
Armor- 5:1
Planes- 3:1

Both sides are taking very heavy casualties, and it should only intensify now. In the center 821 has resorted to deliberate attacks with panzer divisions, which has slowed down advance to a crawl and is burning them down to a husk. For my part I have enough divisions that I am rotating armies in and out of the frontline. This leads to less reserves (more unready units recuperating in secondary and tertiary lines) but also less routs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by notenome -- 5/27/2012 12:12:37 AM >

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 45
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/29/2012 11:34:24 PM   
notenome

Turn 13:

Our defenses are holding. No major new encirclements. The north has begun a sideshow and our slow retreat continues. In the center, the Axis advance has slowed further. First panzercorp, fresh from the conquest of Leningrad, began making an apearance, but only with Totenkompf. These troops are fresh and rested, but I think 821 made a mistake, he should have inserted the entire corps all at once, to maximize shock. Instead I have a chance to throw them back across the river, and bolster reserve front's defenses. To the south of Moscow, third panzercorps has begun its attack in the corridor between Tula and the Oka.

In the south the most troublesome situation has arisen. A panzer division is adjacent to Stalino, but there's 16 armament points that I need to evacuate from the city. I have to retreat that division, come what may.

In other news, the readiness of the Soviet army has slowly improved. Less than a third of divisions are unready, for the first time in the war. We also had more holds than routs, again for the first time in the war. German armour strength jumped by 400 tanks this week, so I assume some new panzer divisions have arrived.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 46
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 12:06:23 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Notenome, I am having a hard time trying to understand what is going on in your game... I can't see where there are thin corridors, flanks, etc. I am missing many things. You should toggle the controlled hexes on methinks. I would avoid the "darkest" version though (some of your screenshots): when you have clicked on one of your units or something like that

Attachment (1)

"When the seagulls follow a trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea" -- Eric Cantona, XX century philosopher

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 47
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 12:48:05 AM   
notenome

I know Tulius, its just that I really like the cleaner look, but I'll turn the controlled hexes on.

In other news I have to decide if I evacuate the salient between Moscow and Tula. On the one hand, the troops are in danger of being encirlced, on the other, it would significantly shorten the Axis front.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 48
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 1:16:51 AM   
notenome

The first counterattack is successful, pushing the panzer division back. That's 15-16 Armament points saved. Atrocious losses for Southern Front however.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 49
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 1:28:07 AM   
notenome

Again with horrendous losses we throw the Axis bridgehead back across the Tvertiza river. I don't understand why my divisions are taking such horrid losses. But North Moscow's Front is safe, for a turn anyways.

Now I have to decide whether to evacuate the salient or not, and how to defend the Donbass.

EDIT: And I could really use some advice here. The bulge keeps the two panzercorps aparts and spreads out the infantry. On the other hand, its a pocket waiting to happen and those troops could bolster defenses directly in front of Moscow and in the emptiness north of Tula. I'm not sure what to do.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by notenome -- 5/30/2012 1:34:34 AM >

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 50
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 1:36:02 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: notenome
In other news I have to decide if I evacuate the salient between Moscow and Tula. On the one hand, the troops are in danger of being encirlced, on the other, it would significantly shorten the Axis front.

Whatever you do, do garrison Moscow You haven't got any fort level yet. I always send units to the 3 urban hexes on turn 1. It's Moscow! If I were Stalin, the NKVD thugs would be after you, tovarich

"When the seagulls follow a trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea" -- Eric Cantona, XX century philosopher

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 51
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 1:36:09 AM   
hfarrish

That's basically 2-1, not bad for a 41 Soviet counterattack...I've seen a lot of my "successes" do a lot worse than that, pushing 4-1 or even 5-1 territory. Losses are always bad attacking German infantry.

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 52
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 2:12:20 AM   
Farfarer

You take high losses as a cost for a "win" as you get an upgrade of your 1-1 attacks to 2-1 and a victory. Absolutely worth it. You also move closer to Guards status if the unit survives.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 53
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 3:00:34 AM   
Flaviusx

Hold the bulge (but don't put any stacks in there, single units like you have is fine.) You need to make him waste time and get to mud. Four turns to go. If he loses a turn consuming the bulge, it's all good. You might even make him waste more time than that if he pockets it and you bust it open for one turn.

Sometimes you just got to feed the beast.

What I'd be more worried about is him crossing the Oka south of Moscow. You look super weak there.

The reason your casualties are up is because the 41b rifle division is a piece of ****. By late autumn most of your rifle units have flipped over to this TOE, the worst in the whole war. They are incredibly brittle.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 5/30/2012 3:06:18 AM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Farfarer)
Post #: 54
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 4:18:37 AM   
notenome

Wish you had posted that earlier Flav, I evacuated the bulge, might be my biggest mistake. I'm going to post a screen of my defense of Moscow soon.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 55
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 4:35:12 AM   
Flaviusx

It might work out, don't sweat it. Tough choice either way, really. I'd rather lose an army than Moscow, though.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 56
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 5:08:25 AM   
notenome

Here it is, the defensive disposition of Moscow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 57
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 5:11:48 AM   
notenome

I hope to loose neither Flav. Two siberian divisions coming through give me hope. I am now able to place stacks with defensive CVs of 20+

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 58
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 5:18:08 AM   
Flaviusx

I hope you are putting a lot of units in reserve mode and have Zhukov running STAVKA. You've got the unit density here to really bring reserves into play.

Don't count on any single stack, no matter how strong or well fortified stopping the Germans. They can crunch their way through anything in 1941. It's the reserves that spoil their attacks.

Quite honestly, I think the odds are in favor of the Axis taking Moscow here, possibly during the snow turns. Leningrad fell too quickly and freed up a lot of stuff. But worst case scenario, I think you can take it back during the blizzard.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 5/30/2012 5:19:01 AM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 59
RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 82... - 5/30/2012 5:56:24 AM   
notenome

My entire army is in reserve mode or refiting (I use the command info view thing to set them all to reserve), and Zukhov is in charge of STAVKA since turn 1. All the best leaders are defending Moscow, special consideration going to Malinovksy who has a winning record (and the first guard division). I ended the turn early so no pic of the Donbass, unfortunately. I also ended the trun with no units isolated, which must surely be a first.

I'm also not a big fan of stacks (and only started using them last turn) but unit density in the Moscow area is such that its either stacking at the front or adding depth 10 hexes behind the line, which is useless when you consider the Axis are 40 miles from Moscow. That said the stacks held beautifully last turn. One took 4 attacks before retreating, the other two didn't budge.

On the other hand, I also have no more room for error.

< Message edited by notenome -- 5/30/2012 4:32:26 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 41-45 GC AAR notenome (sov) vs 821Bobo (axis) no 821 past first page. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI