My only complaint so far...

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

JFalk68

My only complaint so far...

Post by JFalk68 »

Make the counters BIGGER :) and more crisp and clear. When you zoom out they become blurry, which in turn hinders playing zoomed out so if you want nice and crisp looking counters you have to zoom in but you see much less of the map.

Maybe this means having counters for each level of zoom but it would make for a more finished product, I dont see this blurry when I look at a real board on a table. Right now if I was playing this game in real life I would have to get about 8 inches from the counters to see them clear as they are now.

I cant believe no one has brought this up so far to me, it really detracts from the beauty of this game and the gameplay
Erik Rutins

RE: My only complaint so far...

Post by Erik Rutins »

They look clear to me, I have to say. Though they could be a bit higher res. We were planning to add higher res counters at some point before the first expansion, so that may help.

If they look blurry, try changing the Shaders to Simple in your in-game system preferences and try turning off multisampling and anisotropy just to see if that makes a difference for you.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

Thanks for responding Erik, I tried the changes to mentioned and there is no appreciable difference. I think if the counters where 15%-20% and where high res. it would solve the problem for me. In the boardgame the counters are slighter larger then the hexes, here they are much smaller.

The counter is the main thing we look at on the board and should be the most easily read. Here is a picture of what I am thinking ofImage

Attachments
pic351806.jpg
pic351806.jpg (157.88 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

I agree with the point being made here. I can't find a "happy" medium when it comes to playing with counters--either I can't see them clearly or I can't see the map. I've fiddled about with settings but it doesn't resolve the issue. Nailing this would make the game so much more enjoyable and playable.
Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

Turn 'bloom'off that helps
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

ORIGINAL: starbuck310

Turn 'bloom'off that helps
I'm not playing with bloom on, it doesnt do anything for me except give the screen a faint glow
z1812

Post by z1812 »

I am very interested in this game. My main concern before buying is what I have read about the graphic clarity of some elements and particularly the counters. I am growing older and my sight is not as good as it once was. The information on them being clear would be critical to playing the game properly and with pleasure.

I wish there was a demo so I could see the graphic quality for myself.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

The counters IMO are well done. Plus you can zoom in on a counter or situation and have a good overtop view, so I don't think the counter size is really an issue. However I would like to see a lock camera feature. I'll get the zoom level and angle just the way I want it and then something like an artillery attack will throw it back to default. If you could lock the camera and get a completely vertical view down (right now there is still a slight angle) I think would be a nice added feature.
hugi

Post by hugi »

ORIGINAL: z1812

I am very interested in this game. My main concern before buying is what I have read about the graphic clarity of some elements and particularly the counters. I am growing older and my sight is not as good as it once was. The information on them being clear would be critical to playing the game properly and with pleasure.

I wish there was a demo so I could see the graphic quality for myself.

Hello z1812

maybe this gameplay video will help you for your suggestion. The user use tokens. Of course you can zoom in or out, as you believe. But I think you get an idea.

You see the specifications in a good readable canvas if you hover (is this the correct word) a unit. You don't need to read the tokens. The 3d figures are very small, so I only use the tokens.

Greetings
hugi
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Thanks Hugi. Are there any other videos you know off? I have searched but have not found any.
RockKahn

Post by RockKahn »

I like playing with chits and looking straight down on the map.

I click the "Change Camera" button on the right side of the screen and change it from "Normal View" to "Top Down View". It appears to remain locked to this view even during the opponents turn. In this top down view, I can use the mouse wheel to zoom and move the mouse to pan. It works great for me.

When I'm zoomed out, it's more difficult to see what unit type my counters are. So, I press the "N" key to toggle Unit text off and on. Then I can identify all my units without zooming back in. It shows unit type of visible opponents units, also. This unit text feature really helps when playing in 3D mode, too, because the units are harder to see in 3D mode.
I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.
hugi

Post by hugi »

Oh yes the n-Button helps really great! [&o] Now I can also play with the 3d models!

@z1812: Not at the moment. but eric produce a advertising video this week. I'm also sure other "let's play" or AAR will follow. Keep in mind that the game was realised 2 days ago.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Amen to the "N" key - it does make the sprites functional
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Higher resolution counters is something we'd like to do as a mod perhaps, or for a patch. The current counters (and indeed almost all the art in the game) do use mip mapping -- that is, multiple sizes of texture files for different camera distances.

Hires counters likely won't help with the bluriness when looking at counters from farther away, however. This blurriness is more likely a function of the video card's interpolation algorithm. I think you can change this as a game preference, but I'll have to double-check to see whether it makes a visible difference as far as the counter art is concerned.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

ORIGINAL: RockKahn
I click the "Change Camera" button on the right side of the screen and change it from "Normal View" to "Top Down View". It appears to remain locked to this view even during the opponents turn. In this top down view, I can use the mouse wheel to zoom and move the mouse to pan. It works great for me.

Reading your post and actually spending time with all the in game features; I'm now aware my request has already been met. Foolish me. [:D]

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”