Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My only complaint so far...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> My only complaint so far... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 1:43:57 AM   
JFalk68

Make the counters BIGGER :) and more crisp and clear. When you zoom out they become blurry, which in turn hinders playing zoomed out so if you want nice and crisp looking counters you have to zoom in but you see much less of the map.

Maybe this means having counters for each level of zoom but it would make for a more finished product, I dont see this blurry when I look at a real board on a table. Right now if I was playing this game in real life I would have to get about 8 inches from the counters to see them clear as they are now.

I cant believe no one has brought this up so far to me, it really detracts from the beauty of this game and the gameplay
Post #: 1
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 1:51:11 AM   
Erik Rutins

They look clear to me, I have to say. Though they could be a bit higher res. We were planning to add higher res counters at some point before the first expansion, so that may help.

If they look blurry, try changing the Shaders to Simple in your in-game system preferences and try turning off multisampling and anisotropy just to see if that makes a difference for you.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 2
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 3:13:55 AM   
JFalk68

Thanks for responding Erik, I tried the changes to mentioned and there is no appreciable difference. I think if the counters where 15%-20% and where high res. it would solve the problem for me. In the boardgame the counters are slighter larger then the hexes, here they are much smaller.

The counter is the main thing we look at on the board and should be the most easily read. Here is a picture of what I am thinking of[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 6:58:10 AM   
Javolenus

I agree with the point being made here. I can't find a "happy" medium when it comes to playing with counters--either I can't see them clearly or I can't see the map. I've fiddled about with settings but it doesn't resolve the issue. Nailing this would make the game so much more enjoyable and playable.

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 4
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 8:10:18 AM   
starbuck310

Turn 'bloom'off that helps

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 5
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 12:32:02 PM   
JFalk68

quote:

ORIGINAL: starbuck310

Turn 'bloom'off that helps

I'm not playing with bloom on, it doesnt do anything for me except give the screen a faint glow

(in reply to starbuck310)
Post #: 6
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 12:47:05 PM   
z1812

I am very interested in this game. My main concern before buying is what I have read about the graphic clarity of some elements and particularly the counters. I am growing older and my sight is not as good as it once was. The information on them being clear would be critical to playing the game properly and with pleasure.

I wish there was a demo so I could see the graphic quality for myself.

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 7
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 12:52:00 PM   
Bison36

The counters IMO are well done. Plus you can zoom in on a counter or situation and have a good overtop view, so I don't think the counter size is really an issue. However I would like to see a lock camera feature. I'll get the zoom level and angle just the way I want it and then something like an artillery attack will throw it back to default. If you could lock the camera and get a completely vertical view down (right now there is still a slight angle) I think would be a nice added feature.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 8
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 12:57:19 PM   
hugi

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

I am very interested in this game. My main concern before buying is what I have read about the graphic clarity of some elements and particularly the counters. I am growing older and my sight is not as good as it once was. The information on them being clear would be critical to playing the game properly and with pleasure.

I wish there was a demo so I could see the graphic quality for myself.

Hello z1812

maybe this gameplay video will help you for your suggestion. The user use tokens. Of course you can zoom in or out, as you believe. But I think you get an idea.

You see the specifications in a good readable canvas if you hover (is this the correct word) a unit. You don't need to read the tokens. The 3d figures are very small, so I only use the tokens.

Greetings
hugi

< Message edited by hugi -- 5/10/2012 1:18:58 PM >

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 9
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 1:16:18 PM   
z1812

Thanks Hugi. Are there any other videos you know off? I have searched but have not found any.

< Message edited by z1812 -- 5/10/2012 1:23:00 PM >

(in reply to hugi)
Post #: 10
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 1:19:28 PM   
RockKahn

I like playing with chits and looking straight down on the map.

I click the "Change Camera" button on the right side of the screen and change it from "Normal View" to "Top Down View". It appears to remain locked to this view even during the opponents turn. In this top down view, I can use the mouse wheel to zoom and move the mouse to pan. It works great for me.

When I'm zoomed out, it's more difficult to see what unit type my counters are. So, I press the "N" key to toggle Unit text off and on. Then I can identify all my units without zooming back in. It shows unit type of visible opponents units, also. This unit text feature really helps when playing in 3D mode, too, because the units are harder to see in 3D mode.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 11
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 1:36:40 PM   
hugi

Oh yes the n-Button helps really great! Now I can also play with the 3d models!

@z1812: Not at the moment. but eric produce a advertising video this week. I'm also sure other "let's play" or AAR will follow. Keep in mind that the game was realised 2 days ago.

< Message edited by hugi -- 5/10/2012 2:13:20 PM >

(in reply to RockKahn)
Post #: 12
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 1:52:04 PM   
tgb

Amen to the "N" key - it does make the sprites functional

(in reply to hugi)
Post #: 13
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/10/2012 5:42:37 PM   
ericbabe

Higher resolution counters is something we'd like to do as a mod perhaps, or for a patch. The current counters (and indeed almost all the art in the game) do use mip mapping -- that is, multiple sizes of texture files for different camera distances.

Hires counters likely won't help with the bluriness when looking at counters from farther away, however. This blurriness is more likely a function of the video card's interpolation algorithm. I think you can change this as a game preference, but I'll have to double-check to see whether it makes a visible difference as far as the counter art is concerned.

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 14
RE: My only complaint so far... - 5/11/2012 1:02:40 AM   
Bison36

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockKahn
I click the "Change Camera" button on the right side of the screen and change it from "Normal View" to "Top Down View". It appears to remain locked to this view even during the opponents turn. In this top down view, I can use the mouse wheel to zoom and move the mouse to pan. It works great for me.

Reading your post and actually spending time with all the in game features; I'm now aware my request has already been met. Foolish me.

(in reply to RockKahn)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> My only complaint so far... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI