Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/12/2012 4:17:48 AM   
PizzaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Thanks pizzaman I will check it out. Are you in the pizza making industry or just like pizza?

No, the pizza reference is just a fun handle.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 31
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/12/2012 3:56:16 PM   
willgamer

AGEOD's American Civil War.

I consider it in the running for best strategy game ever.

Why do many people like it? http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?23771-Why-does-everybody-loves-this-game

(my comments at post #10).

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to PizzaMan)
Post #: 32
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/12/2012 4:39:36 PM   
bradfordkay

Avalon Hill's Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series (Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come the Rebels, etc). This was a series of beautiful operational level games that I would love to see ported over to the computer.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 33
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/12/2012 4:39:37 PM   
Alan Sharif

I would go with Norbsoft Gettysburg:Scourge of War ( plus the two previous titles in the series ) and also Forge Of Freedom.

A Sharif

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 34
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/12/2012 9:32:52 PM   
Anguille

Civil War 2: Generals....

Armada 2526 and Distant Worlds: the ultimate space strategy games are HERE in the Matrix

Pushing it to the limits: an Armada 2526 AAR

Lizzie van Zyl RIP

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 35
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/13/2012 7:19:57 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Mines the new Norbsoft Gettysburg:Scourge of War and the recently released Antietam expansion. Real time with 100,000 troops on the screen and you can command from a regiment leader to Army commander. Best civil wargame ever for me.

quote:

Norbsoft Gettysburg:Scourge of War

I recall reading about this game a few years ago, but I guess I forgot about it. So you really think it is that good?

Yes it's that good and so is Mad Minutes:2nd Manassas by the same developer. I've never enjoyed playing a real time game as much, especially about the civil war. It puts Sid Meier's Gettysburg to shame both in gameplay and graphics. The feature that allows you to pick your level of command during the battle is superb. I don't know of another game that does this. I can literally play just an artillery detachment and watch the battle unfold as the AI plays against itself and it plays very well too. The speed is really in real time so a second equals a second in these games not a minute or an hour like so many other rts clickfest games. There's a demo get it and try it for yourself.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 36
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/14/2012 10:22:53 PM   
nate25

Seems there are as many opinions as choices. All good info; just doesn't leave me closer to a choice.

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 37
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/14/2012 10:25:23 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

Seems there are as many opinions as choices. All good info; just doesn't leave me closer to a choice.

My favorite Civil War game is seen in this link...WATCH ALL 1:58!!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151635/general-cartman-lee

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 38
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/15/2012 12:00:27 AM   
H Gilmer

I think the Ageod version is my favorite, although I have played Forge of Freedom a lot more. I like Forge of Freedom, but it misses something for me, not sure what. It's really close, though.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 39
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/16/2012 2:55:36 AM   
H Gilmer

I couldn't get CWG2 to play on 64 bit win 7. Am I just out of luck?

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 40
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/16/2012 8:03:17 AM   
Anguille

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

There's a dll (not sure which one) you have to add (as it has been removed by Microsoft).

Armada 2526 and Distant Worlds: the ultimate space strategy games are HERE in the Matrix

Lizzie van Zyl RIP

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 41
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/16/2012 4:30:13 PM   
RCH

You need XP to run CWG2. If you have an old computer around you would be good to go. I played hours of that game and played it online. There was a really good group who played it. They made a ton of player created scenarios. Its graphics are a bit rudimentary and online play was not at all stable once units started to rout, but it was a really good game with a good following.

Norbsoft Gettysburg:Scourge of War is the a great game. If you want to micromanage you can if you want to command army and let your brigadiers do the managing you have that option.

SP is really good and there is a group that plays MP where they have had up to 20 players in the same battle.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 42
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/16/2012 4:54:20 PM   
Anguille

CWG2 does run on Windows 7 but you need to add the dll.

armchairgeneral forum

quote:

CWG2 on Windows 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, to get CWG2 to run on Windows 7 you need wing32.dll. The wingding install provided by CWG2 sites doesn't work and you shouldn't need to run it since the game just requires wing32.dll.

Apparently, in older operating systems games ran differently and it was replaced by DirectX. Wing32 was part of this older system.

In order to get wing32.dll go to this site and download it.

I tried placing this file in the CWG2 folder but the game didn't run. The dll file was installed in the wrong place.

So I moved it to C:\Windows\System32. That didn't work either.

My Win 7 is 64 bit so I moved wing32.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. I started the game and it worked.

I am not sure but I guess SysWOW64 is only on 64 bit Windows 7. If you have 32 bit Windows 7 wing32.dll will go in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

The above will also probably work for Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.

When you start CWG2 it will not start in full screen but it will later on. Just press space to skip the video introduction (if you wish), wait for the credits to roll and menu to fully appear.

Lizzie van Zyl RIP

(in reply to RCH)
Post #: 43
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/17/2012 1:26:00 AM   
H Gilmer

Ok, thanks for the help!

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 44
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/17/2012 3:19:23 AM   
parusski

quote:

It works, but you need to download the evaluation version of DLL-files.com fixer. Yes, you will be prompted to purchase the full version, but the evaluation copy will fix the .dll issue. Once you have the game running though, uninstall DLL-files fixer.

Here is the link, I used it a long time ago to get CWG2 to work with Win 7 64:

http://www.dll-files.com/fixer/

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 45
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/17/2012 3:23:22 AM   
H Gilmer

Ok, I'll try that because I did the other and it started up, then it asked for the disc to be inserted, so I pressed OK. Then it said it was missing terrfx.txt file and stopped.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 46
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/17/2012 3:23:46 AM   
H Gilmer

It looks real interesting.

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 47
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/17/2012 3:37:09 AM   
parusski

quote:

It looks real interesting.

For those who like CWG2 there is a fun little strategy guide for the game:

http://willisnyc.tripod.com/civilwargeneralsiistrategyguide/index.html

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 48
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/17/2012 12:34:09 PM   
hck2cotsonika

Scourge of War is a great game to play. I have played for hours on my laptop. Really wonderful action game.

http://pokemon.otavo.tv/ , http://naruto.otavo.tv/

< Message edited by hck2cotsonika -- 5/17/2012 12:35:38 PM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 49
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/17/2012 1:47:09 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: hck2cotsonika

Scourge of War is a great game to play. I have played for hours on my laptop. Really wonderful action game.

http://pokemon.otavo.tv/ , http://naruto.otavo.tv/

Scourge of the forum, thanks.

(in reply to hck2cotsonika)
Post #: 50
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 6/6/2012 5:06:26 PM   
A7V_U

I won´t recommend my favorite game in this thread because it is really old, but I still play the good old "From Sumter to Appomattox" made by Frank Hunter in its upgraded exe from 2004. I can run it under Vista 64 without problems and it is also free. You can find it here:

http://www.thurb.com/games/acw/intro.htm

Best regards

Rainer
Post #: 51
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 6/6/2012 5:42:27 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: A7V_U

I won´t recommend my favorite game in this thread because it is really old, but I still play the good old "From Sumter to Appomattox" made by Frank Hunter in its upgraded exe from 2004. I can run it under Vista 64 without problems and it is also free. You can find it here:

Best regards

Rainer

Actually, that was and is a good game.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 6/6/2012 5:43:19 PM >

(in reply to A7V_U)
Post #: 52
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 6/6/2012 7:13:31 PM   
parusski

quote:

Best regards

Rainer

WOW, I forgot this game. Loved it. Thanks.

(in reply to A7V_U)
Post #: 53
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 6/7/2012 4:49:18 PM   
chijohnaok

The Civil War General 1 & 2 were my favorites.

Post #: 54
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 6/7/2012 5:42:58 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: jasonkorrey

quote:

Best regards

Rainer

You are right. This game is very nice one. For a long time someone has remembered this game to me, because I already forgot it. That's game I have enjoyed too much.

Someone has remembered me for short time, because I forgot her for long time. She is enjoyed much.

Post #: 55
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 6/7/2012 6:41:01 PM   
rogo727

I would like a game as easy as time if fury. Suggestions?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 56
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 6/7/2012 8:14:00 PM   
Titanwarrior89

This was the first computer game that I played. Seems like a million years ago. Up to this game I was only a long time boardgamer but now play both.
quote:

Best regards

Rainer

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to A7V_U)
Post #: 57
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 6/7/2012 9:12:52 PM   
rosseau

I read Landscape Turned Red while playing SSI's Battle of Antietam on the C64. It was a re-enactment in my head that freaked me out and has since cost me a lot of money in computer games

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI