Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's your favorite American civil war game and why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What's your favorite American civil war game and why? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/9/2012 5:34:35 PM   
rogo727

Mine is civil war generals 2. Would love to get that game back on my laptop.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Post #: 1
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/9/2012 5:58:11 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I too still love Civil War Generals 2. I also really like FoF and Grigsby's War Between the States.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 2
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/9/2012 6:01:28 PM   
nate25

I've never had one but since hanging out here a lot, my interest is growing.

Any of them at regimental/battery level with sort of NATO symbology? (NOT 3D looking stuff.)

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 3
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/9/2012 6:08:15 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

Any of them at regimental/battery level with sort of NATO symbology? (NOT 3D looking stuff.)

You can get Civil War Generals here: http://www.old-games.com/download/5142/civil-war-generals-2
It is now free.

Forge of Freedom and WBTS are great games, just go the their product pages and read about them. Also watch the promo videos available for both games. I have been playing Civil War Generals for 15 years, FoF over 5 years and WBTS'S for nearly 4. Love all three.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 4
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/9/2012 6:16:05 PM   
nate25

Looks good. Thanks.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 5
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/9/2012 11:38:08 PM   
rogo727

Thank you parusski. I will look into it.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 6
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 2:19:16 AM   
nelmsm

Like WBTS and FoF but my favorites are the HPS ACW campaign games. Gettysburg would be my favorite. They are the regimental/battery level you are looking for. Gettysburg offers some big maps and many campaign options which gives a lot of different games. Not much good for AI play though so you'd be better off with the Matrix games if not playing PBEM.

Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 7
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 2:21:22 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: nelmsm

Like WBTS and FoF but my favorites are the HPS ACW campaign games. Gettysburg would be my favorite. They are the regimental/battery level you are looking for. Gettysburg offers some big maps and many campaign options which gives a lot of different games. Not much good for AI play though so you'd be better off with the Matrix games if not playing PBEM.

Jeez, how could I not have mentioned the HPS titles. I own nearly every game sold by them.

(in reply to nelmsm)
Post #: 8
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 2:23:15 AM   
nate25

The HPS games sound nice but I'd definitely want an AI to play against.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 9
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 2:25:13 AM   
parusski

quote:

The HPS games sound nice but I'd definitely want an AI to play against.

UUHHH, they have AI numnuts.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 10
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 2:28:31 AM   
nate25

It sounded like the AI was weak in nelmsm's post, meatbag.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 11
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 2:54:52 AM   
parusski

quote:

It sounded like the AI was weak in nelmsm's post, meatbag.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 12
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 3:15:33 AM   
Rtwfreak

Mines the new Norbsoft Gettysburg:Scourge of War and the recently released Antietam expansion. Real time with 100,000 troops on the screen and you can command from a regiment leader to Army commander. Best civil wargame ever for me.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 13
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 3:18:42 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Mines the new Norbsoft Gettysburg:Scourge of War and the recently released Antietam expansion. Real time with 100,000 troops on the screen and you can command from a regiment leader to Army commander. Best civil wargame ever for me.

quote:

Norbsoft Gettysburg:Scourge of War

I recall reading about this game a few years ago, but I guess I forgot about it. So you really think it is that good?

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 14
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 3:21:58 AM   
rogo727

I want to see a game as easy to leaarn as TOF as a civil war game. Is there a game like this?

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 15
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 4:44:45 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

You can get Civil War Generals here: http://www.old-games.com/download/5142/civil-war-generals-2
It is now free.

Forge of Freedom and WBTS are great games, just go the their product pages and read about them. Also watch the promo videos available for both games. I have been playing Civil War Generals for 15 years, FoF over 5 years and WBTS'S for nearly 4. Love all three.

was not able to access free download. Do you have to be regitered to the site?

< Message edited by Zap -- 5/10/2012 4:45:08 AM >

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 16
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 3:49:41 PM   
carnifex

quote:

Mine would be A House Divided. You didn't say paper or digital.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 17
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 4:30:19 PM   
Perturabo

North & South. Probably because it was the only one I actually played.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 18
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 6:13:37 PM   
Titanwarrior89

This Hallowed Ground(Gettysburg).  Best board wargame ever on the subject....and I play the other Regimental-Sub series from Multi-man games.  Problem is, some are out of print.  A new copy of This Hallowed ground will run you 250.00 unpunched in new condition.

The system is not too complex
Plays good for team or solo-due to the order system
scale is just right-110 yeard per hex, 50 men per strength point, 1 cannon
leaders at Brigade level up to Corp and Army.
plently of scenarios-large and small depending on your table size.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 5/10/2012 6:16:34 PM >

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 19
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 6:19:48 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Now computer wise, it would be GG's War Between the States.  Excellent game on the subject.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 20
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 7:33:54 PM   
mdiehl

Any of the Richard Berg/GBACW series by old SPI.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 21
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 8:36:31 PM   
Hertston

Probably Scourge of War. It's certainly the best ACW tactical game I've seen. My favourite strategic level game would be War Between the States, although I wouldn't say it was 'better' than FoF or Ageod's ACW. More a personal taste thing.

Of the golden oldies CWG2 was indeed a blast but I think AoR just topped it if I had to pick one (even if limited to just ACW scenarios).

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 22
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/10/2012 11:50:48 PM   
rogo727

Hertston,
If you please what is AoR? Age of Rifles?

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 23
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/11/2012 1:30:52 AM   
Hertston

Yes.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 24
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/11/2012 1:59:22 AM   
rogo727

I had that game but for me it had to many bugs and crashed all the time.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 25
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/11/2012 2:00:25 AM   
rogo727

I wish they would make an easy Divisional type Civil war game that you could sit down and play for a couple of hours about the civil war.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 26
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/11/2012 3:27:59 AM   
PizzaMan

quote:

I wish they would make an easy Divisional type Civil war game that you could sit down and play for a couple of hours about the civil war.

AGEOD's Civil War is easy division level game.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 27
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/11/2012 4:03:36 AM   
rogo727

Is there much management is this game? I hate to micro manage. I do that enough at work already.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to PizzaMan)
Post #: 28
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/11/2012 4:09:41 AM   
PizzaMan

quote:

Is there much management is this game? I hate to micro manage. I do that enough at work already.

I don't believe so.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/343/details/American.Civil.War..The.Blue.and.the.Gray

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 29
RE: What's your favorite American civil war game and why? - 5/11/2012 11:21:36 PM   
rogo727

Thanks pizzaman I will check it out. Are you in the pizza making industry or just like pizza?

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to PizzaMan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What's your favorite American civil war game and why? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI