weapon compilation mod...

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

msnevil

weapon compilation mod...

Post by msnevil »

vrs 6

added more bloom effects. After looking at the moon at night, I realized that light refraction has a lot larger effect, ie bloom effect, then what I originally made. So more bloom.

added dual bolts for "tjhkkr" since he is always seems nice to everybody, and is appreciated.

Attachments
weapons.zip
(2.36 MiB) Downloaded 321 times
tjhkkr

RE: weapon compilation mod...

Post by tjhkkr »

Thank you! [8D]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Excuse me, but how do you install it?
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
msnevil

Post by msnevil »

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne

Excuse me, but how do you install it?

Is this a question as to opening the zip file? or after its unzipped?
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

After unzipping[:)]. It's surprising, although true, that some people don't know how to zip.............
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
msnevil

Post by msnevil »

C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\images\effects\weapons >Is the weapons image folder.

After unzipping, choose a image you want to replace, for exp. Beam_0.png. Make a "copy" of beam_0 via "right click" mouse> copy> then paste in folder. (You should now have a duplicate weapon image. ) Right click original image file, click rename, highlight name, right click copy, then delete original image file. Extract the image you want to the above folder, rename it to "beam_0.png" Then play your game, If you don't like the image you can always choose another one, and the original one is still there, in case you mess something up.

or simply make a copy of the image you want to remake, copy the name of the original image, and then delete the original image. followed by extracting the "selected" image to the weapons folders, rename it, and try it out.

Hopefully that makes sense, I'm better at showing how to do it, then explaining it.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I have all the expansions and there was not much files in the vanilla \effects\weapons folder. So I just dumped all yours in there (cause I trust you [;)])

And Yes, I did unzip each category and put the files in the folder. Also, wondering how the game will know to use these upgraded graphics without a mod? Dumb me...
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I tried to send you a pm about this but i don't think it went through. Do you by chance have or can you make, or tell me how to make a version of these beam weapons with a color for the gaps inbetween red and orange, and orange and yellow?
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

Thank you!

A massive improvement in diversity and graphics, especially in the phaser department (for the others I used the ones in the mass effect graphics pack so far, will change some of those as well).

Very welcome that we can choose our taste in form and color!

@rosseau: You have to select, rename and copy what you like one by one, as msnevil posted above.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Figured i was doing a service by bumping this one, this is a great mod i just wish he hadn't left out those two colors. The other 'inbetween' colors are included...

Personally i'm a fan of the bolts and true beams. I plan to use them in my compilation mod/overhaul mod.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Could you guys post some screenshots of this mod in action?
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

Again, great work msnevil!

I was wondering how the beam graphics work, especially concerning the phasers and the tractor beams.
Is the selected image just stretched to the apropriate size/length?

If so, could you make some cone like beam graphics, especially for the tractor beam and graviton weapons?

At the moment, ships using phasers and tractor beams alternate the color.
It would be great if the tractor beam/graviton beam was visible as a lighter colored cone/triangular shape originating from the firing ship, while the phasors retain their beam/stream appearance.

My second question is, whether you allow a selection of the mods effects to be included in other mods (especially thinking about the total conversion mods, but I would also be very interested for my tech tree BalanceMod). Full credits and links to the original/full collection ie this thread given of course.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I don't think he is going to respond, he had been gone for at least a year before briefly returning to respond to my shatterforce laser arguement then vanished again. I'd assume he won't mind, just be sure to include credit to him and provide a link.
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

@Unforeseen:
Whoops, totally not read the date, thanks for the heads up!

@graphic modders:
Anyone there picking up the baton for a nice tractor beam ;-)?
msnevil

Post by msnevil »

like this.
Attachments
beam.zip
(28.91 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
msnevil

Post by msnevil »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Figured i was doing a service by bumping this one, this is a great mod i just wish he hadn't left out those two colors. The other 'inbetween' colors are included...

Personally i'm a fan of the bolts and true beams. I plan to use them in my compilation mod/overhaul mod.

I changed the colors by 30 degree increments on a color wheel. I can't see certain (in between) colors outside of the primary and secondary colors. Probably the two colors you pointed out. :)

You can use "gimp" to change png color files.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

ORIGINAL: msnevil

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

I changed the colors by 30 degree increments on a color wheel. I can't see certain (in between) colors outside of the primary and secondary colors. Probably the two colors you pointed out. :)

You can use "gimp" to change png color files.
Oh! Alright Thanks!!! I'll see if i can do it, i seem to be artistically illiterate though but if i can i'll put up a link here since the original icon is your work.

Edit: Actually it looks like if i zoom on the image and just use an airbrush on it with the correct color a couple of times it looks about right Will see about it after work.

Return to “Design and Modding”