Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Questions. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions. - 5/7/2012 5:33:25 PM   
stormbringer3

I have a strong interest in this game. I consider Steel Panthers one of my favorite games. I know that at this time there isn't a campaign feature, but hopefully a future addition! One question is how does this tactical game play in comparison to Steel Panthers? I'm hoping that that this game about 15 years newer, will have a definite improvement feel to it and a much better AI. Also, how does it compare in the "realism" aspect? Finally, will you be able to scale the difficulty level and if so, how does it change the play?
Thanks for any opinions.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 5/7/2012 6:40:08 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Questions. - 5/7/2012 7:08:01 PM   
Joram

CoH is generally much more interactive than Steel Panthers (SP). In SP, you played your turn, planned out your attacks and then watched it happen. There was opportunity fire as well that broke up the turn sequence as well.

In CoH, you make a move, the enemy makes a move, you make a move, the enemy makes a move, not just piece by piece but move by move. So there is no need for an opportunity fire mechanism like SP has because every move, you or your opponent will have the chance to fire or move or whatever. The exception to this sequence is really in planning your offboard artillery which you do at the beginning of the turn. Turn length is also variable in essence because it ends when both sides pass. Both sides can pass long before your units run out of actions so it adds another dynamic that SP does not have.

As far as realism goes, I would say it depends on what you are looking for. CoH boils your attack and defense down into a few factors so it's much easier to tell what can beat what. Also, individual squad weapons are not considered like they are in SP. That is, in SP, you know a squad is carrying satchels or bazookas or what not. But in CoH, it is more abstract. SP was much more complex also with regard to armor penetration values, turret vs hull armor, etc... so you may consider it more realistic but on the other hand, CoH was intended to model a boardgame, and no boardgame that you can finish in a couple hours could possibly handle all the factors that SP does.

There's still complexity in CoH such as armor vs non-armor, front vs flank, range, smoke, and terrain all are important things to consider so you still have to put a good deal of thought into it. If you judge realism by getting the expected results in 'realistic' situations than CoH is certainly as good model for realism as any boardgame of that type. Of course, in any game, you always have that luck element!

If you haven't already, take a look at the AARs to get a better feel for the gameplay, especially Mo Reb's beginners AAR.

PS There are difficulty options but I'm not sure how much under the hood I can talk about so will let Matrix answer that one.

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions. - 5/7/2012 7:24:49 PM   
stormbringer3

Joram,
Thanks for your reply. You have provided some good info. I did read all the AARs so I have a general feel or the gameplay sequence. Back to the AI. If you played Steel Panthers the difficulty was mostly in beating the amount of enemy forces generated, not a lot of AI finesse or tactics. Will this game have more of AI which will use more tactics etc?

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions. - 5/7/2012 8:21:43 PM   
Joram

I'm unsure if discussing the details of the AI would be against the NDA so I'm going to err on the side of caution and refer you to Erik's post here. If they aren't running around prepping for tomorrow or a million other things, maybe they can provide more details.

PS If it helps, I plan on getting my father a copy of the game right away because I know he would enjoy this game.

< Message edited by Joram -- 5/7/2012 8:24:05 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Questions. - 5/7/2012 9:17:29 PM   
stormbringer3

Joram,
I read your posts comparing CoH to Team Assualt over on The Wargamer. Do you have an opinion of CoH vs. a Squad Battles title?
Thanks.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions. - 5/7/2012 9:44:54 PM   
Joram

I'm sorry, my experience with Squad Battles is both very old and very limited. It models individual weapons and you move around individual soldiers which is what sets it apart from most other games. AI and graphics I seem to remember on par with Steel Panthers. I don't remember how well it models morale or command and control.

Post #: 6
RE: Questions. - 5/7/2012 11:38:54 PM   
Vyshka

I believe the only individual soldier units in SQB are leaders. Other than that they are multiman units of some sort.

< Message edited by Vyshka -- 5/7/2012 11:40:19 PM >

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches" - Adm. King

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions. - 5/7/2012 11:43:09 PM   
ioticus

Is the AI scripted and predictable or does it try different strategies in the same scenario?

(in reply to Vyshka)
Post #: 8
RE: Questions. - 5/8/2012 3:58:39 AM   
stormbringer3

Are the maps in the scenarios sufficient in size to allow for maneuver or are they smaller so you are usually just making a direct assault?
Thanks.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 5/8/2012 4:05:05 AM >

(in reply to ioticus)
Post #: 9
RE: Questions. - 5/8/2012 2:12:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

The AI has scripted elements as well as dynamic ones. It is not set in stone and does adapt and make different decisions each time you play, especially as the scenarios increase in size and allow more options.

Scenario size varies, so there are some smaller knife fights but there are also many scenarios with plenty of room to maneuver.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 10
RE: Questions. - 5/8/2012 2:17:08 PM   
Joram

Here are some additional comments on the AI made by Eric, the designer.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3047039&mpage=1&key=script�

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Questions. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI