Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No 'Fixed' Formation Orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> No 'Fixed' Formation Orders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 10:27:27 AM   
sPzAbt653

The 'Manual' formation order has replaced the 'Fixed' order, but I want to have 'fixed' formations. 'Static' orders only work partially, because if a unit of the formation is attacked, then the formation is released from Static. Is there any way to get formations 'fixed', other than assigning them to Garrison mode and then using events to release them later ?
Post #: 1
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 10:37:07 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

The 'Manual' formation order has replaced the 'Fixed' order, but I want to have 'fixed' formations. 'Static' orders only work partially, because if a unit of the formation is attacked, then the formation is released from Static. Is there any way to get formations 'fixed', other than assigning them to Garrison mode and then using events to release them later ?

As a matter of fact Steve, there is a flag (somewhere?) to mark the unit's special ability *invalid movement* - see screenshot. However, I guess it's because the icon *and therefore the immobile characteristics* of the fixed artillery thing. Will check the .XML for some hints though.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 5/7/2012 10:42:55 AM >

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 2
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 10:51:04 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

... there is a flag (somewhere?) to mark the unit's special ability *invalid movement* ...

Yes, but that is permanent. I need to get the units moving on turn 2. Its for a D-Day scenario, and I want the Germans locked up for the first turn so that the Allies can sneak in under the weather.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 11:03:57 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

... there is a flag (somewhere?) to mark the unit's special ability *invalid movement* ...

Yes, but that is permanent. I need to get the units moving on turn 2. Its for a D-Day scenario, and I want the Germans locked up for the first turn so that the Allies can sneak in under the weather.

quote:

Is there any way to get formations 'fixed', other than assigning them to Garrison mode and then using events to release them later ?

You have to use the Garrison mode and then trigger events to release them later... That's how R-K did it with the Soviets in his RTM series, too. A bit of work I guess to do, but how many units are we talking about? A few Static Divisions, a piece of cake, no?

Klink, Oberst

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 11:08:41 AM   
sPzAbt653

206 formations so far.

Post #: 5
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 11:25:27 AM   
Oberst_Klink

A Normandy@2km version with basic units coy/battalion size, sire?

I am back on schedule, regarding my Kharkov '43 - Operation Star & Gallop version and I would be pleased if you would offer me the honour to be one of the PBEM Beta testers, sir.

Klink, Oberst

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 6
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 11:37:21 AM   
sPzAbt653

5km, Reg-Batt. Map covers Brest to Berlin, so the Allies have the choice of several invasion beaches. It would be an honour to have you playtest it, thanks. It will be a while yet, have to hammer it out a little more and run a few tests to make sure it isn't goofy.

Post #: 7
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 11:38:55 AM   
shunwick

Guys,

Doesn't the manual order work the same as the fixed order used to? I thought it was just a name change to make it look sensible if you are using PO Assist.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Post #: 8
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 11:43:29 AM   
sPzAbt653

No, I tried it, all formations set to 'Manual' are released on turn 1.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 9
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 11:48:11 AM   
shunwick

Yes but that was always true. The fixed orders had no effect on human players.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 8:53:58 PM   
sPzAbt653

Ok then, into Garrison they go ! Thanks guys

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 11
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/7/2012 9:58:02 PM   
Telumar

What about these - I used Static and Delay orders for Anzio (all versions) - works like a charm.

· Static: Units belonging to the formation are not available for orders until the formation is activated. Activation occurs on a specific turn (set in the editor) or when the enemy attacks or moves adjacent to any unit of the formation. When activated, the formation assumes a defend order.
· Delay: Units belonging to the formation are not available for orders until the formation is activated. Activation occurs on a specific turn (set in the editor) or when the enemy attacks or moves adjacent to any unit of the formation. When activated, the formation assumes an attack order.
· Wait: Affects the programmed opponent as a delay order. There is no effect on a human player.
· Hold: Affects the programmed opponent as a static order. There is no effect on a human player.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 12
RE: No 'Fixed' Formation Orders - 5/8/2012 3:08:49 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

... There is no effect on a human player.

This is the pbem version, so no PO in this one.

quote:

Activation occurs ... when the enemy attacks or moves adjacent to any unit of the formation.

I'm starting one turn early so that the Allies can soften up the target area. But that allows the Germans to get shots off in their half of the turn, because the formations that are softened up become available.

Garrison orders work, there just have to be release events on turn 2.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> No 'Fixed' Formation Orders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI