M-2 Bradley Unit Composition Questions

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

M-2 Bradley Unit Composition Questions

Post by GaryChildress »

Been messing around with a possible mod for Close Combat LSA. Trying to dig up info for a modern combat mod. According to Wiki's article on the M-2 Bradley IFV:
The mechanized infantry platoon is equipped with four BFVs. For mounted operations, it is organized in two sections of two vehicles each. The dismounted element consists of three squads of nine soldiers each and a machine gun section of five soldiers. The dismounted infantry squads ride in the BFVs, which serve as the base of fire during dismounted infantry operations.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Bradley

How is it possible that a dismounted platoon of 4 bradleys can carry three squads of nine soldiers each plus a machine gun section of five soldiers? That's 32 dismounted men. The bradley itself only holds 6 men in the infantry compartment besides a crew of 3 to man the vehicle. That would seem to suggest that only 24 dismounted men could possibly be fielded by a platoon. The only way to have a dismounted section of 32 men would be to practically abandon the vehicles except for the driver. That would seem to render the Bradley's weapons inoperable during a dismounted operation.

My guess would be that a dismounted Bradley platoon should be no greater than 24 men strong, and that 12 men would stay behind to man the 4 vehicles for fire support. Unless I'm missing something obvious, something doesn't seem to jive with the article above. [&:]
2ndACR

RE: M-2 Bradley Unit Composition Questions

Post by 2ndACR »

That is about right......the crew is counted as part of the squad........the 3 men stay with the Bradley. Wiki is not a really good source anyway.

As in you are right. This is a better site for Brad info:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m2.htm
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks 2ndACR! Of course after posting this I finally came across what appears to be the perfect site:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... le1.htm#pa

It gives just about everything I need. However, it says a Bradley unit's dismounted platoon consists of 2 squads of 9 men each, which seems a little strange. Normally a platoon of just about any other kind has 3 squads in it. I would have thought the dismounted element would be organized into 3 squads of 6 men each. Shows how little I know I guess. [:o]
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Most have 3 of 6 for dismounts.......sort of depends on the mission and actual troop strength........very few line units are at 100% strength in manning.

I was in the M3 Bradley so only had 2 dismounts.........I was cav scout. And leg infantry before that.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Well, as far as I can determine, this chart should correspond to the actual organization of the real world Bradley Mechanized Infantry Platoon (at least on paper). Below this chart is a chart showing how a Bradley company would actually deploy in Close Combat terms, broken down into fire teams, weapons teams, vehicles etc.

Comments, thoughts, criticisms? (Especially from 2ndACR.)

Attachments
MechInfan..anyREAL.jpg
MechInfan..anyREAL.jpg (60.71 KiB) Viewed 198 times
MechInfan..oonREAL.gif
MechInfan..oonREAL.gif (25.38 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Return to “General Discussion”