Where is antitank infantry ?

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

moet

Where is antitank infantry ?

Post by moet »

I see that there are no antitank teams in the PC game, as well as in the board game. How infantry can fulfill his role against tanks if it doesn't have antitank capability even at very close range?
In the actual PC game, any tank standing in woods is virtually indestructible by enemy tanks. I had a Panzer III ADJACENT to a stationary T34 having 0% hit chance against it !
If infantry can not destroy it either, a lonely tank can slow, even stop, a whole army for many rounds.
Missouri_Rebel

RE: Where is antitank infantry ?

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

That is not a true statement moet.

If you look at the screen below you will see that the Pioneer squad does indeed have an armor attack capability of 3 (blue colored attack value).

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Maybe he is talking of a different game?

Unless he is on the beta team, the game is not released yet and he states he is playing it.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Possibly. I just thought he might be playing the boardgame.

I wanted to clarify that though. Yet, like most games and real life, infantry best tread lightly around a tank, especially in the open. Look what a mobile killing platform they are. One must protect their tank busters, whatever they are, or risk overrun.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: moet
I see that there are no antitank teams in the PC game, as well as in the board game. How infantry can fulfill his role against tanks if it doesn't have antitank capability even at very close range?
In the actual PC game, any tank standing in woods is virtually indestructible by enemy tanks. I had a Panzer III ADJACENT to a stationary T34 having 0% hit chance against it !
If infantry can not destroy it either, a lonely tank can slow, even stop, a whole army for many rounds.

A few comments on this:

The game is set in 1941, which means that squad-level infantry anti-tank weaponry is very limited. At this point, for infantry against tanks you are generally talking close assault. When you are in the game doing a close assault against a tank in the same hex, you're hitting against its flank armor with a significant positive modifier. Add in a bonus CAP or two to reflect some leadership and you have a very good chance of taking out a light or medium tank.

Infantry is not the preferred way to take out a tank in 1941, but with the proper situation and with good leadership it can do the job.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
moet

Post by moet »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
That is not a true statement moet.
If you look at the screen below you will see that the Pioneer squad does indeed have an armor attack capability of 3 (blue colored attack value).
I'm playing with a press release version of the game, but of course I have little experience of play.

It's true, the pioneers have that antitank capability, but I think they are the only one among German infantry and I didn't see their equivalent among Russians. But in the scenarios, I don't think we will find as much pioneers as we would need to succeed against enemy tanks (anyway it was not their specialty during WWII...).

Lastly, the 3 attack strength (3 AS) of pioneers won't change the situation I describe above : I you try to destroy a T34 positioned in wood with a 5 AS tank like the Panzer IIIe (or with a 3 AS pioneer), you will need to go to an adjacent hex on the rear of the T34 or inside the same hex (see example below). In most situation, you won't be able to reach that rear favorable position. In front of the T34, I suppose you will need to do a group attack with the Panzer as the attack leader and at least two infantries (pioneers or not, since any of them just add 1 AS to the group), with the panzer positioned in a front hex adjacent to the T34, to get it. If you count the one, two or may be three units that will be destroyed by the T34 while you take position so close to it, that means a lot of resources to eliminate a single threat !

Attachments
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (545.58 KiB) Viewed 146 times
moet

Post by moet »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
The game is set in 1941, which means that squad-level infantry anti-tank weaponry is very limited. At this point, for infantry against tanks you are generally talking close assault. When you are in the game doing a close assault against a tank in the same hex, you're hitting against its flank armor with a significant positive modifier. Add in a bonus CAP or two to reflect some leadership and you have a very good chance of taking out a light or medium tank.
Infantry is not the preferred way to take out a tank in 1941, but with the proper situation and with good leadership it can do the job.

Well, if we can't ask specialized antitank infantry to help the panzers to get those T34 installed in woods (or any tanks with 18 or 19 defense value), we have a problem. In the actual game, there will be a lot too much situations where the tanks themselves will have to do close assaults to dislodge well protected armored targets in woods.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Ehm...are you saying that no AT guns are present in the game? [&:]
Or are you speaking about this scenario only?
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
moet

Post by moet »

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper
Ehm...are you saying that no AT guns are present in the game? [&:]
Or are you speaking about this scenario only?
There are AT guns, but there is no AT specialized infantry.

The problem is that the combat resolution system (based on 2d6) makes the well protected tanks (like T34) indestructible in woods at any distance. You have to be directly behind them to have a small chance to destroy them. This gives a weird style to the tanks confrontation. :(
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

i think with your 'press release copy' youll know far more than anyone on here except the beta team - noone has seen this much of the game until you posted the pics, bar the AARs and screenshots
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

You say" I had a Panzer III ADJACENT to a stationary T34 having 0% hit chance against it ! ". But the picture looks like a Pz II. If that is the case, then a Pz II should have no chance at all against the front or side of a T34. Maybe that is what is going on?
raizer

Post by raizer »

A pz II luchs not gonna be able to kill a t34 from the front in the open, in woods, in a box or by a fox-its only a 20mm cannon-that is what you are referencing in the pic...not a pzIII with a 50mm i assume you think it is
moet

Post by moet »

Sorry about the picture (I made a lot of it). Here is a picture with a Panzer IIIe.

But the situation remains the same with all the panzers available in the two scenarios I have played ("Partisan Road" and "Assault on Peprez") : Panzer 38t, Panzer IIf, Panzer IIIe or Panzer IVd, since none of these have more than 5 attack strenght (5 AS). Note though that, in those scenarios, the Panzer 38t (5 AS) and the Panzer IIf (4 AS) have better attack strength than the Panzer IVd (2 AS).

Attachments
Exemple2.jpg
Exemple2.jpg (255.88 KiB) Viewed 147 times
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

A short barrel IV is for throwing HE at infantry. The 20mm, 37mm, and 50mm, historically did have a problem against KVs and T34s.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
moet

Post by moet »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive
A short barrel IV is for throwing HE at infantry. The 20mm, 37mm, and 50mm, historically did have a problem against KVs and T34s.
But they were able to have the better over T34s. The Panzers didn't have to kiss the T34's hindquarters to destroy them!
raizer

Post by raizer »

I have always thought that the 38t could never punch the front of a t34, along with the early pzIII's g-h; there were all unable to punch the 34. It wasn't until you get later into the war, with the arrival of the pzIII L,M was there a chance of doing it, and even then it wasn't that probable a kill. You talking long barreled 75mm here and those were a year off to make it to the front line units.

I think the game will signify this by you having to use firegroups, throw a card into it and maybe even spend some caps-it can be done but it'll be tough. The germans had no answers for the T34 during this time period and the game should reflect this-so make them rare or expensive.
moet

Post by moet »

ORIGINAL: raizer
I have always thought that the 38t could never punch the front of a t34, along with the early pzIII's g-h; there were all unable to punch the 34. It wasn't until you get later into the war, with the arrival of the pzIII L,M was there a chance of doing it, and even then it wasn't that probable a kill. You talking long barreled 75mm here and those were a year off to make it to the front line units.
I think the game will signify this by you having to use firegroups, throw a card into it and maybe even spend some caps-it can be done but it'll be tough. The germans had no answers for the T34 during this time period and the game should reflect this-so make them rare or expensive.
A T34a in woods gets 19 + 2= 21 defense value. A Panzer IIIe at some distance in front of it, grouped with two other tanks, will get 5 + 1 +1 = 7 attack strength. If you add 2 CAPs, you get 9 attack strength. With the maximum you can get with 2 dices (12), you get a result of 21, which means, in almost the best conditions, 1/36 chance to hit (rounded down to 2% in the game). That's why I say that you have to get adjacent to the target (+3 attack strength) to reasonably have a chance to destroy it.

This near impossibility of hitting the front of a T34 positioned in woods is not a big problem in itself. But it becomes a real problem if the attacking panzer face the same impossibility when it attacks the rear of the T34 : even then, the panzer has to be adjacent to the T34 to destroy it!

I fear that such constraints will undermine the gameplay and encourage fanciful fights.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Lastly, the 3 attack strength (3 AS) of pioneers won't change the situation I describe above : I you try to destroy a T34 positioned in wood with a 5 AS tank like the Panzer IIIe (or with a 3 AS pioneer), you will need to go to an adjacent hex on the rear of the T34 or inside the same hex (see example below). In most situation, you won't be able to reach that rear favorable position. In front of the T34, I suppose you will need to do a group attack with the Panzer as the attack leader and at least two infantries (pioneers or not, since any of them just add 1 AS to the group), with the panzer positioned in a front hex adjacent to the T34, to get it. If you count the one, two or may be three units that will be destroyed by the T34 while you take position so close to it, that means a lot of resources to eliminate a single threat !

Hi Moet,

In your screenshot, that's a Panzer II with a 20mm gun. Even the Panzer IIIE with a 37mm gun had a very hard time with the T-34, except at very close range to the flank and rear. In other words, the game results you are seeing are historical given the game scale and I'm not sure why they warrant criticism.

CAPs are meant to reflect good leadership. Use those to shift the odds in a critical combat where you need to make a difference.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Well, if we can't ask specialized antitank infantry to help the panzers to get those T34 installed in woods (or any tanks with 18 or 19 defense value), we have a problem. In the actual game, there will be a lot too much situations where the tanks themselves will have to do close assaults to dislodge well protected armored targets in woods.

The Germans also had a problem with T-34s historically. They are a challenge, but I've had no problem winning scenarios as the Germans even when faced with them. The stats reflect the board game stats, which we feel are also historical. If you take a look at the history of the board game, where this system and these stats have won multiple awards, I think you'll find that historical tactics and matchups are reflected within the game system and the game's units.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Moet,
But the situation remains the same with all the panzers available in the two scenarios I have played ("Partisan Road" and "Assault on Peprez") : Panzer 38t, Panzer IIf, Panzer IIIe or Panzer IVd, since none of these have more than 5 attack strenght (5 AS). Note though that, in those scenarios, the Panzer 38t (5 AS) and the Panzer IIf (4 AS) have better attack strength than the Panzer IVd (2 AS).

I respectfully suggest that you play the game a bit more. I've taken out T-34s with the 38t and IIIe, but you need to adjust your tactics for them. You need flank and rear shots and ideally get them in the open with CAP bonuses to reflect your better leadership and training. Tactically speaking, you should be able to run circles around them and pick your opportunities with the lower AP costs and higher CAPs the Germans generally get.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”