Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> Naval Battles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Battles - 4/29/2012 3:36:06 AM   
Bison36

I just picked up the game a few days ago. So far, I really like the game but I have no idea what is happening with naval units. Two issues specifically.

When I get an engagement (I'd post a screenshot, but for some reason all I get is a black screen when I try to paste over to paint), I don't get any options to attack or move. I've waited for 5-10 minutes thinking that the AI is processing it's moves, but I never get any options. One time I did get an option to attack or move. I attacked with the Enterprise, but none of my other Task Forces got an option afterward to attack or move. Following this first turn, I never got another option. So that's it. In around 15 naval battles, I've selected one attack. I've been forced to use the auto resolve to close out the battle. Am I missing something?

Also how do naval bombardments and recons work on sea zones? I've attempted to give the commands and select the sea zone bull's eye, but nothing. Nor can I select another naval unit for a good 20-30 seconds later. It's like the AI is doing something, but there is no way to tell. What I do know is that it is not bombarding an enemy Task Force or reconning.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Battles - 4/29/2012 10:19:36 AM   
Bison36

OK. I figured it out. I needed to hit the next move button. Now I'm moving and attacking. The question now is what is the system for determining which ships are a part of an engagement?

I didn't have the volume up, when I did I started to associate the plane sound with the recon. If I heard the plane I knew it happened, there really needs to be a notice that the recon succeeded or failed.

+EDIT+ Why no delete saved game button option? I'm sure it's a matter of digging through the game install files to find the saved game location and deleting them.

Fun game so far looking forward to starting the Pacific campaign.

< Message edited by Bison36 -- 4/29/2012 10:24:30 AM >

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Battles - 5/5/2012 8:09:15 PM   
ilovestrategy

Bison, I have the same issue with the saved games. I have several I would love to delete but can't.

You cannot determine which ships engage because it is more of a general combat system, meaning that combat happens with fleets. The downside is that one ship counts as a fleet if it is alone. I've had cases where one ship will travel to a zone to meet up with a large fleet and the Japanese fleet waiting there with the fleet I'm meeting with will sink that one ship with no interference from my large American Fleet nearby.

Also, while you can strike with Strike Forces from carriers you cannot make one fleet attack another. The computer uses a percentage chance on whether the two opposing fleet run into each other or not.

Agreed with the recon needing a notice of of the recon succeeded or failed.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Battles - 5/5/2012 10:45:05 PM   
doomtrader

If yo uwish to delete the save game, please go to main folder, data subfolder and then to save folder.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> Naval Battles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI