Ship Conversion

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

larryfulkerson

Ship Conversion

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's a question for you ship conversion experts. I have a ship docked at Brunei and it doesn't seem to want to start converting. The minimum shipyard size is 0 so I'm assuming I can park it almost anywhere there's a port....yes? Those ships that need some shipyard time to get converted: how do you go about moving a ship into the repair shipyard if the ship isn't damaged at all. Run it around at full speed for a while until it gathers some damage? Surely not.

I'm kinda new to this and I have about 250 ships that need to start converting pretty quickly now....it's already 28Dec41 and I'm just now waking up to the fact that I have ships to convert.

EDIT: I've already perused the manual and this particular detail, in addition to many others, isn't covered and besides the pages of my little manual are starting to fall apart. I'm afraid I'll have to go the PDF file in the future.

Attachments
quickquestion.gif
quickquestion.gif (314.54 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Torplexed

RE: Ship Conversion

Post by Torplexed »

I have a feeling that even though the minimum shipyard size needed is zero, there still needs to be a shipyard present at that port.
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

You have to manually make it convert, they won't do it themselves.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Torplexed
I have a feeling that even though the minimum shipyard size needed is zero, there still needs to be a shipyard present at that port.
see below, but thanks though.
ORIGINAL: oldman45
You have to manually make it convert, they won't do it themselves.
It finally dawned on my that on the convert screen there's a button in the lower left corner that a person can click on to get the conversion started. I clicked on it and the next screen ( shown below ) shows how the ship is offline for 25 days ( at least ) and I'm thinking it's started it's conversion. Whew !

Attachments
quick question.gif
quick question.gif (82.4 KiB) Viewed 79 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

So I'm going through all the ships one at a time trying to find those that need conversions and / or upgrades and I've found a button on
one of the screens that purports to show the ships due an upgrade but when I click on the button and THEN click on the ship's name I get a screen that shows that the upgrade isn't due for another year yet. What did I do wrong? Is this a bug?

Attachments
quickquestion.gif
quickquestion.gif (260.63 KiB) Viewed 79 times
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

When you click on "Show Ships due upgrade", you'll get a list of all ships with the upgrade option set to "Yes". That's regardless of when the upgrade is actually available. I find that useless and annoying. What I would like is an option that would show all ships that have an upgrade currently available, but as far as I can tell, there's no such list.

By the way, just because you can upgrade or convert a ship doesn't mean you should. I set the default upgrade option to NO for all ships, then manually change to YES when I choose. It's a bit embarrassing to have to delay an operation, or be unable to defend against an attack, because all the ships you need are stuck in port, refitting.
-- Mark Sieving
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thanks for your post msieving1 dude. What happens if you don't want the first conversion but you DO want the second one. Can you skip the first one and wait until the second one is available?
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Tracker can show both Ship conversions and upgrades.

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Thanks for your post msieving1 dude. What happens if you don't want the first conversion but you DO want the second one. Can you skip the first one and wait until the second one is available?
I think you're talking upgrades... iirc, you can skip in the sense that you put the ship in for the second upgrade and the ship will upgrade to the latest.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: msieving1

When you click on "Show Ships due upgrade", you'll get a list of all ships with the upgrade option set to "Yes". That's regardless of when the upgrade is actually available. I find that useless and annoying. What I would like is an option that would show all ships that have an upgrade currently available, but as far as I can tell, there's no such list.

It's late and I'm headed to bed, so if this is not true apologies. Look at the yellow text in your .jpg that currently says "All upgrades." Yellow text in AE is a hotpoint. Click that (or the yellow text to its left; I don't have the game open now) and that will do a sub-sort by period. You can thus find ships allowed to upgrade as well as in the time zone where the upgrade is allowed.

I have not played the Allies since the last official patch, but I think this mechanism might be different for them. I have not verified this, but it used to be different than shown in your .jpg.

Hope this helps.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

As Alfred points out in his excellent Ship Repair Guide (you should read if you have not), an upgrade and a conversion are different things. Very different things. They operate with completely different models running underneath. If you read the Guide you'll understand upgrades.
The Moose
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Here's a question for you ship conversion experts. I have a ship docked at Brunei and it doesn't seem to want to start converting. The minimum shipyard size is 0 so I'm assuming I can park it almost anywhere there's a port....yes? Those ships that need some shipyard time to get converted: how do you go about moving a ship into the repair shipyard if the ship isn't damaged at all. Run it around at full speed for a while until it gathers some damage? Surely not.

I'm kinda new to this and I have about 250 ships that need to start converting pretty quickly now....it's already 28Dec41 and I'm just now waking up to the fact that I have ships to convert.

EDIT: I've already perused the manual and this particular detail, in addition to many others, isn't covered and besides the pages of my little manual are starting to fall apart. I'm afraid I'll have to go the PDF file in the future.

Larry,

I'm going to win the prize for 'useless dolt' with this observation, but here goes...

Did you try to click on the button that says "Convert to Daigen AG class AG"? It's on the ship screenie from your first post (second .jpg). What happened when you clicked on it?

ETA: Sorry, should have read your next post. Glad that worked! [:)]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thanks everyone. Tracker is my tool of choice. I can't imagine playiing w/o it.
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

AG is a support ship, you don't need many of those. While you can convert basicly all xAKLs to AGs, it's not worth it. AGs can be used as cargo ships, but AGs loose some cargo capasity.

About AG Irako. The ship have to be empty before AKE upgrade take place. They are going to start welding when there's still 1500 tons of ammunition on board... [;)]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

But once they start welding, it will redistribute the metal in the ship at a far quicker rate than the shipyard could ever do!
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

BTW, I do have a question in need of clarification. In the JPG that Larry put forth, in it it shows the phrase "Minimum Conversion Delay 15". Due to experience, I'm not sure what this means! Does it mean that you can delay the conversion for up to 15 days past the month that the conversion is allowed OR does it mean that the conversion will require the ship to be in port for a minimum of 15 days (and if so what are the factors that would lengthen that period)? How does this relate to UPGRADE as well, because Alfred is right, they are two differing things. Finally upgrades are available for only a specified time, BUT when I go past that date, some upgrades seem to remain available while others the door closes, and it indicates "upgrade no longer available". Is there a reasoning behind this? So I have it right?
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

It means that it will take at least 15 days to do the upgrade. If the ship has damage, it will take longer.

If it says this upgrade not available, click on next upgrade and that one should be available. You can't do the first one if the second one is available.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Thanks Dan, how did you acquire that knowledge, I don't recall seeing it in the Manuel or specifically spelled out in any of the updates, BUT that was a lot of material much of which I forgot already! Age has its price.
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal
Thanks Dan, how did you acquire that knowledge, I don't recall seeing it in the Manuel or specifically spelled out in any of the updates, BUT that was a lot of material much of which I forgot already! Age has its price.
It's neither in the Manuel, nor the Jose. It might be in the Maclovio, however, and definitely in the Maria, Madre de Dios.

Upgrades are "upgrades'; they flow through the db: they are the historical alternatives. Conversions are just that; dotted line, ahistorical, alternatives that give the Japanese some things to play with.

So you might have some early war options - upgrade to something, or convert to something else. But a lot of conversion options are shut down once you "upgrade" to a certain standard. So the first (or maybe second) "upgrade" might have a conversion option; but once you hit the switch (one way or the other), you are stuck.

Read, understand, internalize, the things in the editor. El Editor es su Amigo.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Thanks JWE, I never considered the editor my friend, but I'll certainly keep that in mind! Hal
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Some like JWE stated, used the editor. Also I just tried different things and watched what happened.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”