Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do units benefit from defending behind rivers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Do units benefit from defending behind rivers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do units benefit from defending behind rivers - 4/26/2012 6:18:20 PM   
Augustas

How does the game calculate the Cv ffor defenders and attackers? I don`t see much benefit for defenders especially behind major rivers.
Post #: 1
RE: Do units benefit from defending behind rivers - 4/26/2012 6:29:40 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Augustas

How does the game calculate the Cv ffor defenders and attackers? I don`t see much benefit for defenders especially behind major rivers.

Assuming the river is nonfrozen, inf types are up too (a roll) halved by both types of rivers. Technicly X number of troops, by roll is disrupted and not counting for CV purposes.
AFV/vehicles are up too halved by minor, reduced up too 2/3 across major rivers.

Since i been doing lots of sandbox testing of the combat system recently i can attests it actually works. U will see the non modified CV about halved if u compare to an attack not across a river. Note that the way that modifying CV works u can see the modified CV being higher than ur unmodded pre river CV. Because of this some times ppl might not feel the river "bonus", but it in fact is there.

This is the text that concerns it.

15.6.4. Cross River Attack
Combat units attacking into a hex through a non-frozen (ice level four or less) minor or major river hex sides are required to expend additional movement points above the normal attack MP cost. All ground elements that cross the river to attack are subject to a disruption check prior to the initial computation of combat value. Ground elements with longer range indirect fire devices will normally not check for disruption while infantry and combat engineers most likely will check. Infantry type ground elements will tend to suffer approximately the same amount of disruption for both minor and major rivers, but AFV and combat vehicle ground elements will suffer more disruption in crossing a major river than a minor river. Since disrupted combat units do not contribute to overall CV, players can anticipate a reduction in overall CV of up to half for minor rivers and up to two-thirds for major rivers prior to any other modifications

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 4/26/2012 6:46:53 PM >

(in reply to Augustas)
Post #: 2
RE: Do units benefit from defending behind rivers - 4/28/2012 4:32:43 AM   
kg_1007

It definitely has an advantage as Walloc states. So much so that for the most part I will not attempt attacks across a river except occasionally with smaller units as a sort of "scouting" or "probing" attack to get a feel for what is over there, at which point I usually will keep them locked in the ZOC of the smaller unit, while I use heavier combat power crossing elsewhere, to "clean up" that side of the river.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 3
RE: Do units benefit from defending behind rivers - 4/28/2012 5:06:07 PM   
heliodorus04

Remember that the benefit of rivers is reduced in cold weather depending on the ice levels. At ice level 10, for example, rivers offer no benefit to the defender, and they cost no extra MPs to move across.

(in reply to kg_1007)
Post #: 4
RE: Do units benefit from defending behind rivers - 4/29/2012 10:39:15 AM   
timmyab

Not only do you get the disruption effect for units attacking across a river, but just as importantly it costs lots of extra MPs to cross a river into enemy held territory and enemy ZOC.This is especially true for major rivers.
In the South the river lines are vital.Don't rely on forts, the German pioneers can dismantle them.

(in reply to Augustas)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Do units benefit from defending behind rivers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI