Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Decided to treat myself.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Decided to treat myself. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Decided to treat myself. - 4/25/2012 4:30:19 PM   
wodin

Well I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card for a good year or so, but one thing or another meant I didn't have the money. Well just recently I've had two bluescreen of death and had a feeling it was my old 4870 telling me the time for retirement was now.

So I managed to pick up a ATI 6850 for £93 including shipping! Very pleased with the price. I can't wait to try it out, should be here with in 7 days.

I was a little unsure as I've never heard of Club3D so did a quick check and couldn't see anything negative. I could have got an ASUS for £105 including delivery but every penny counts.

Hopefully it will be as faithful as my 4870 which gave me nearly three years of good service and still managed to more or less keep up, my main issue was the heat, I had to have my fan on 100%. The longest I've had a graphics card actually. I used to buy a new one every 18 months, however those days are over.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/25/2012 9:31:56 PM   
Josh

You bought a new Vidcard every 18 months? Wow.
IMHO a bit overkill, graphic cards have a cycle, that is about every 2 years they release a new chip (in the meantime they're just polishing up the old ones, adding more memory, speeding up clockspeed, but *nothing* note worthy) , and about ...take or leave every four years you should really really see a lot of difference between your old card and the newer ones. Unless you play lots of graphic-heavy stuff like ... FPS (Crysis anyone?) there's really no need to buy every 18 months. Club 3D used to be (don't know if they still exist??) an A brand in videocards, they don't produce them but they did make pretty good cards. Ofcourse names in this business come and go fast, one year the best the next year forgotten by all.
Anyhoo, I hope you have loads of fun with your card... cause nothing sucks more than a fried card during the weekend...  been there done that... sucks.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/25/2012 9:52:19 PM   
wodin

Josh I don't buy top of the range, more two from top. Well thats what I used to do. Like I said that stopped awhile ago. I saw it as a minor upgrade investment that kept things ticking, remember I'm going back a few years now where you did get a big difference after 2 years. I never bought a graphic card from the same family\series though. Always the next series along and waited for a few releases and then bought the third from top which was always around £130. I'd never pay more than that for a graphics card.

As I said my 4870 was still managing to kick out the games and look good. Not direct x 11 though. I just new I was needing a new one and I hear the jump from 4870 to 6850 is a fair old whack.

This card will be with me for another 3 years I expect (fingers crossed). I upgraded my memory from 2 gigs to 8 gigs last November for £32. My CPU only has three corse but they run at 3.4 so it's good enough for now.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/25/2012 9:53:51 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 3
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/25/2012 10:01:22 PM   
Josh

Hehe that's funny because I always jump a series and pay at least twice as much, that way I can play the newest baddest shooters maxed out on everything. Usually the cycle is 4-5 years. Except for my speakers and headphone, they're more than 10 years old... but so am I LOL.
Hey did you notice that the "soon and coming releases" doesn't fit on your screen anymore? It's too crowded there! Too many upcoming releases! And my creditcard is packed and ready hehehe.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/25/2012 10:10:07 PM   
wodin

Hmm...I need a bigger screen I know that. 19 inch doesn't cut it at all these days. Maybe next year.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/25/2012 10:19:48 PM   
Terminus

I use 3D Club as well, and am quite happy with my GTX580. Upped my RAM today from 6 to 12 Gigs; it's almost criminal how cheap it is...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/25/2012 11:57:36 PM   
H Gilmer

It's always very cool to upgrade something then see how all your programs (games!!) run on it and can the computer now do backflips while running top frame rates.

Makes me want to do it.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/26/2012 12:03:38 AM   
wodin

Terminus I'm glad someone has a 3D club graphic card. I'd never heard of them so was alittle wary. Excellent news.

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 8
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/26/2012 3:12:43 AM   
Carolie04

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/26/2012 3:37:05 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carolie04

Spammer and already reported.

(in reply to Carolie04)
Post #: 10
RE: Decided to treat myself. - 4/27/2012 1:56:26 AM   
Slick Wilhelm

I consider my Radeon 4870 to have been one of the best cards I've ever owned. I used it for a solid three years, and then farmed it down to my son's PC, where it's still giving great pleasure and excellent fps in his games.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Decided to treat myself. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI