An update for the Distant Worlds community...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Erik Rutins

An update for the Distant Worlds community...

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

I realize we've been quiet for a few weeks and apologies for that. We have not been resting or ignoring Distant Worlds during that time though.

We just finished the localization work on Return of the Shakturi, along with the promised update for Return of the Shakturi owners who have not yet upgraded to Legends. That should be available as a public beta very soon.

We're also working on finishing the current Legends update. The design feedback has been very good, but the overhaul many of you suggested is more than we can do in this update. We're working on some improvements that should help, but we don't really have the option to rebuild the way designs work at this time, though the next build should give you some changes in that direction.

There's also one more bit of news, which should show up in the forum for our press event which is now underway.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
onomastikon

RE: An update for the Distant Worlds community...

Post by onomastikon »

Thank you for that update Erik.
May I ask: Are you saying that the suggestion to have ship design work dynamically according to Settings rules, much as Shadow Tiger and others outlined here, has been noticed, found to be worthwhile, and might be implemented at a much later date (e.g. in an update in summer, for example)? Or are you saying that it has been noticed but deemed too time-consuming ever to be implemented? Sorry, I was not able to read in-between the lines very well. Thanks much!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: onomastikon
May I ask: Are you saying that the suggestion to have ship design work dynamically according to Settings rules, much as Shadow Tiger and others outlined here, has been noticed, found to be worthwhile, and might be implemented at a much later date (e.g. in an update in summer, for example)? Or are you saying that it has been noticed but deemed too time-consuming ever to be implemented? Sorry, I was not able to read in-between the lines very well. Thanks much!

We noticed those, found them for the most part to be excellent suggestions, but the time to develop something like that is too much for this update. We will be making some improvements along those lines, but we can't do the whole thing. We would definitely like to implement something close to that in a more complete form in the future.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

When I made the post about a new design mechanic I did hope that you guys would take notice, but I knew that it was an idea that would change too many things and could very well be impossible to implement.

Then Shadow Tiger and others built further on it... and now:
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

"We would definitely like to implement something close to that"

Very, very cool.

I am really looking forward to the next version :)
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

Thanks for the news, Erik! [:)]
Falokis

Post by Falokis »

Good update. Thanks, Erik.
Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 »

Thanks for the update!
Igard

Post by Igard »

Thanks for the news. Great to hear the Arcatus and Shadow Tiger's ideas are being looked at. [:)]
w1p

Post by w1p »

Thx for the update - nice to be reminded that people making the game pay attention to the customers!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Well, I may as well add this point as the press event is over but it does not seem to have appeared yet. Yes, we are working on a new expansion for Distant Worlds, which we expect to release by Q4 of this year. No details available yet, but we will provide more info once we are further along.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

Well, I may as well add this point as the press event is over but it does not seem to have appeared yet. Yes, we are working on a new expansion for Distant Worlds, which we expect to release by Q4 of this year. No details available yet, but we will provide more info once we are further along.

Regards,

- Erik

Kobracan

Post by Kobracan »

Great news. I just got into this great game so glad to see an expansion to look forward to!
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

The 1st of April is still just once a year right? You can't just pop that and leave us with nothing!! :) When you mentioned "one more bit of news" I thought a new public patch was on the way but a new expansion?
A major new features list, with enhancements and improvements is the bare minimum to have right now I would say :D
SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games
dwbennett

Post by dwbennett »

Way cool, Erik!

Thanks for the info.
Don Bennett
Evanston, WY
Falokis

Post by Falokis »

Regards,

- Erik
I'm sure you have your community favorites to use for (closed) beta testers, but I'm always willing now that I'm done with pharmacy school.

[:D]
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Yes, we are working on a new expansion for Distant Worlds, which we expect to release by Q4 of this year. No details available yet, but we will provide more info once we are further along.

Another expansion for my favourite 4X and Space Rangers 2 super-mega-HD-remake (A War Apart) both coming out in Q4 of this year. Good times. Good times.

Thanks for the update Erik!
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: adamsolo
The 1st of April is still just once a year right? You can't just pop that and leave us with nothing!! :) When you mentioned "one more bit of news" I thought a new public patch was on the way but a new expansion?
A major new features list, with enhancements and improvements is the bare minimum to have right now I would say :D

I wish I could give you more info on this, but work on it just started and we're really still getting things figured out ourselves. In a couple of months we should have some real information to share regarding features and improvements. Right now we have a very large list that is still in the process of being reduced to a manageable list. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

ORIGINAL: adamsolo

I wish I could give you more info on this, but work on it just started and we're really still getting things figured out ourselves. In a couple of months we should have some real information to share regarding features and improvements. Right now we have a very large list that is still in the process of being reduced to a manageable list. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
Thanks for your feedback! And yes, please sort it out so that people can start making plans for their gaming budget this year. There's a lot of great sci-fi and space strategy games around the corner. The more info we'll have the merrier. And please start thinking also on a good bundle package for DW or perhaps on turning DW's new expansion into a standalone version with discounts for loyal fans and a more affordable price for new comers. Just my 2 cents here [;)]
SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games
Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa »

YES! YES! (Throws money at screen) Can't wait to buy! I think I just popped a blood vessel in my excitement... http://youtu.be/ihuDwkL9_Ng?t=2m54s
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Woo!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”