Matrix Games Forums

Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge Update
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: iPad Version

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> RE: iPad Version Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 1:46:35 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Damn these ipads. They will destroy serious gaming.

Wait.

If you consider Panzer Corps as a serious game, then the iPad does serious gaming becuase it's the same Panzer Corps and not dumbed down.
Unless you consider Panzer Corps in the PC as a dumb down wargame in the first place.

I don't consider PC a serious game, I consider it a "lite","beer and pretzel" game. Since it is already "lite", it fits right in with the ipad. Which is my point. You will not get a game any more complicated than PC or Battle Acadamy on it.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 31
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 2:17:45 PM   
rogo727

Von,
COH looks like a good indepth game and its comming to the iPad .

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 32
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 2:35:37 PM   
vonRocko

IMHO COH is not a "deep" game. Heck, I already learned how to play just from a short aar! It will be a great game, but one that I also consider "lite". Games for people without long attention spans! The ADD crowd.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 33
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 2:55:36 PM   
rogo727

I guess the problem I have is when people think just because I enjoy these so called "lite" games that we meaning the people who play them are somehow incapable of playing "heavier" type games. I did buy WITE but the turns take to long for me to play and my time is limited so I chose to play other games. So games that are easy to learn and play fast will interest many with busy agendas. The strategy games for iPad is very new and the games made for it will only get better.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 34
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 4:19:39 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I guess the problem I have is when people think just because I enjoy these so called "lite" games that we meaning the people who play them are somehow incapable of playing "heavier" type games.

No, not at all. I know you're capable of playing Civ, even if you're "lacking energy levels" to do it.
Personally, I too like to play more the "lite" ones than the "heavy" stuff.
Me and vonRocko aren't concerned with the platform.
We only want is more of both "lite" and "heavy" games with the same quality and not dumb down versions.
But devs and publishers have already reassured us in this thread, that this won't happen. So we're happy.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 35
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 4:58:11 PM   
rogo727

Lol ok agreeded.. Back before the "dark times" I.e the days before kids a wife and full time job lol, I once played civ2 for 36 hours...just one more turn....just one more turn....

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 36
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 5:27:18 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

I guess the problem I have is when people think just because I enjoy these so called "lite" games that we meaning the people who play them are somehow incapable of playing "heavier" type games.

You're right, that is not what I mean at all. I enjoy lite games also. I never should have wrote that they are for people with ADD.
Once again VPaulus summed up my thoughts precisely! I just don't want to see one slipping away for the other. As long as Matrix is around I'm not to concerned, but if I see more ipad, and less PC, from them, I'll know the end is near.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 37
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 5:59:59 PM   
rogo727

I think both platforms need each other. I have seen the new notebooks that are so light and are powerful. I think the days of big bulky desk computers are numbered tho.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 38
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 6:37:17 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

I think both platforms need each other. I have seen the new notebooks that are so light and are powerful. I think the days of big bulky desk computers are numbered tho.

Doubt. At least for now.
They are still the fastest, and for real work like cad, rendering workstations, other type of games, etc, they are the only machines.
I've heard for far too long that desktop were doomed. Yet, still they persist, and a lot of firms don't appreciate so much, the "mobility" factor of their equipment. I do agree they sell less than 10 years ago, but still there are people that wouldn't exchange it for nothing. I'm one of those. I do have a notebook but not for serious work or for playing. Still the great advances in the graphics hardware is made in this platform.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 39
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 11:36:53 PM   
rogo727

In the work place I agree with you. For home use tho I would have to say laptops and notebooks rule. I went into Best Buy today and they only had one desk model for sale, while I counted at least 75 laptops and notebooks, and that's not mention all the android,Ipad and Blackberry tablets they have.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 40
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 1:39:51 AM   
VPaulus

Sure. But you're forgetting that most people for gaming, build their own machines. You don't buy them at Best Buy. You order pieces from newegg and similar online shops.
But please note, that I'm not denying that in this moment there are more notebooks... I'm only saying that most of people who are hardcore gamers on PC build their own PCs.
Just see the list of different type of motherboards, chipsets, cpu and graphic cards, to note that the business is not so bad as it may look when you go to place like the big retailers.
Just go to a place like Tom's Hardware, and you'll see that things are still breathing.
Besides, I still think, that the main platform for development is still the desktops. Usually you see the notebooks using and adapt the desktop hardware concepts. It's not the other way around.
I know that things evolve quite quickly in these days. What's today it might not be tomorrow. But so far I don't see any evidence that they are giving up the desktop platform.
Look at the list of new hardware for this year.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 5/3/2012 1:40:28 AM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 41
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 2:44:02 AM   
jomni

quote:

As long as Matrix is around I'm not to concerned, but if I see more ipad, and less PC, from them, I'll know the end is near.

Oh no! They just released another iOS/Android game.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 42
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 2:45:19 AM   
rogo727

V,
True and I stand corrected .

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 5/3/2012 2:46:25 AM >

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 43
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 1:55:43 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

quote:

As long as Matrix is around I'm not to concerned, but if I see more ipad, and less PC, from them, I'll know the end is near.

Oh no! They just released another iOS/Android game.

And so it begins!

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 44
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 2:53:39 PM   
VPaulus

That was a port of a PC game from 2009.
It seems to be a good port, from what I've seen from the screenshots. The differences between the input devices were fully respected and the graphics were overhauled for both handheld platforms.
That's a quality port. And for $1.99 it's a real bargain.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 45
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 4:47:59 PM   
rogo727

VPaulus,
Can you tell me what games that where made for the PC then to a tablet that are bad? I don't see what all the fuss is about. I don't understand just because a game is made for a tablet that it falls into a bad port. And yes it is a bargin at 1.99.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 5/3/2012 4:49:03 PM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 46
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 5:43:21 PM   
vonRocko

The fuss and fear is that developers drop PCs' for the easy money. The lite ipad games are easier to make and will probably be more profitable. As a business man which path would you chose: Easier to produce and more profitable ipad games, all on a glorious 4 or 5 inch screen. Or pain in the ass serious games for a niche market at marginal profit at best? They WILL follow the money. Call me old, stubborn, grognard or unchanging, but the writing, for pc wargames, is on the wall!

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 47
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 6:02:46 PM   
rogo727

Von,
I get it know. My cross country coach once told me that you can either fly with the eagles or walk with the crows. I used to play risk with my older brothers and Dad, now I play Axis and allies with my son. I tried to get him to play computer wargames with me but he would rather play call of duty with his friends. The point I'm trying to make is that it will be hard to get kids today to play games like Panzer Korps on the computer, I think they would much rather play it on a tablet. Like it or not, their generation, I think will set the terms of what is made and what is not made in the future.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 48
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 7:12:10 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

VPaulus,
Can you tell me what games that where made for the PC then to a tablet that are bad? I don't see what all the fuss is about. I don't understand just because a game is made for a tablet that it falls into a bad port. And yes it is a bargin at 1.99.

There was no fuss. I was replying to vonRocko about the game that jomni had mentioned. And I said that in fact was a good port because it respected the differences between the two platforms.

quote:

The point I'm trying to make is that it will be hard to get kids today to play games like Panzer Korps on the computer, I think they would much rather play it on a tablet. Like it or not, their generation, I think will set the terms of what is made and what is not made in the future.

You're making a generalization. The problem is more how you can interest a kid to play Panzer Corps instead of a CoD... It's not where you play it and how you play it.

Besides I think you're making the handheld devices as something which they are not. They are not much more than just an interface. It might be true that in the future we will only have interfaces in our home instead of computers. But I guarantee that you'll have different types of interfaces.
And hopefully we will not have only CoD games.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 5/3/2012 7:14:25 PM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 49
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 7:52:59 PM   
rogo727

Much more than an interface? I think millions of people would disagree with you on that. And you kid yourself't if you think todays generation isn't going to drive the future in gaming. For example just went online to see how many people in America are playing PS3 Call of Duty Black opps and it's 427,853 people are playing and schools not out yet. I don't have an xbox but I would double that number for xbox players. So in general I think your the one making a generalization. Do you have an Ipad? because when you say things like it's just an interface, leads to conclusion you don't. The Ipad is a powerful tool, and there is an app for everything. It is the future.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 5/3/2012 7:56:31 PM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 50
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 8:49:55 PM   
vonRocko

No doubt these pads and pods are useful tools. My concerns are strictly for wargaming!

Good thing I like boardgames too.

< Message edited by vonRocko -- 5/3/2012 8:51:13 PM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 51
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 9:12:33 PM   
VPaulus

It's an interface to use with Internet. Without Internet it's almost useless.
While a PC it's a stand alone device. A console it's also a stand alone device. A notebook it's a stand alone device.
The future is the cloud and the streaming and not your "iPad". Your iPad is only an interface to communicate with the cloud.
I'll put it in another way. It's above all a powerful gadget but a very limited computer.
If one day there will be only the cloud, "your" iPad will be only one of the interfaces to communicate with it. But never the ultimate and the only type.

As to the other comments about the future generation and Call of Duty, I don't see what's your point really. We all know what AAA industry is standing for. But the market of video/computer games doesn't resume only to AAA and to the numbers they represent. The indies and the small developers are releasing, in the last 1 or 2 years, more profitable and quality products than ever. Not all developers are bewitched to the numbers but committed in making good games in spite if they are only reaching, in some cases less, low values of less than 100k units sold.

No, I don't have an iPad, but as a professional IT, you may guess that I've "touched", played with and even configured some handhelds. I know the advantages and the disadvantages of the platform.

Anyway you keep misunderstanding my words. So I'll retire from this thread.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 5/3/2012 9:14:49 PM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 52
RE: iPad Version - 5/3/2012 9:49:25 PM   
rogo727

I respond only because I want to see more war games on the iPad. You and many others on this forum I feel will stop at nothing to prevent this. Frankly I'm tired of hearing how bad the iPad is for war gaming . It's just a fancy interface, without Internet it's worthless and my favorite it's just a fad that will go away. You can do so much with the iPad and it's only going to get better. With your comment about iCloud just shows how little you know about the apple iPad. As an IT tech you should know better that there is a vast difference from handhelds to tablets.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 5/3/2012 11:03:20 PM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 53
RE: iPad Version - 5/4/2012 2:21:17 AM   
jomni

quote:

No doubt these pads and pods are useful tools. My concerns are strictly for wargaming!

Good thing I like boardgames too.

Board games are going to the iPad as well. GMT games are developing some titles already. I think it's the perfect platform for board(war)game conversion.

< Message edited by jomni -- 5/4/2012 2:22:47 AM >

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 54
RE: iPad Version - 5/4/2012 2:30:32 AM   
rogo727

Jomni,
You have a good point. I have been rather rash in some of my responses not only to you but to Vpaulus and vonrocko. Please accept my apology . I'm not going to say anything more about the iPad.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 55
RE: iPad Version - 5/4/2012 2:49:47 AM   
parusski

quote:

IMHO COH is not a "deep" game. Heck, I already learned how to play just from a short aar! It will be a great game, but one that I also consider "lite". Games for people without long attention spans! The ADD crowd.

My gaming days go back to The Campaign for North Africa board game to WitE. Both have consumed hundreds of hours of my time. I still fire up PC just because it is "lite", some...and I was watching SNL re-runs with my wife, just after we had eaten salmon(grilled in the open Wyoming country) with The Balvenie, and Jeanne said her assistant...what was the topic?

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 56
RE: iPad Version - 5/4/2012 4:15:46 AM   
vonRocko

Mmm...grilled salmon! I'm hungry.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 57
RE: iPad Version - 5/5/2012 12:28:10 AM   
rogo727

and a six pack of beer...

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 58
RE: iPad Version - 5/28/2012 5:54:24 PM   
mkjhartmann

OK,

why is this all about iPads. The Android pads are starting to outsell the iPads, and like all open technology, will soon be a match to, or superior to Apple. Will these games come out on Android tabs? Personally I prefer playing a "light" wargame while snuggled in my bed to having to sit with either my laptop or desktop. And BTW, for those that need to play a "deep" game on an Android platform, just install the game on your desktop, or laptop, and then install 'Splashtop' on your tablet and you can run anuthing you want. Yes, I have even run Skyrim like that on Samsung Galaxy 2. Since wargames are usually not about graphics, you can run the vast majority of games that way. Make sure to drop the PC resolution to the minimum and you can see the games just fine. I am already running PanzerCorp, Advanced Tactics Gold, Time of Fury, Football Manager 2012, etc like this. It's great when you live up in the cold mountains. Ah yeah, I control the game with the wireless mouse that is attached to the computer and it works fine over about 50 feet.

Mike

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> RE: iPad Version Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI