Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

iPad Version

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> iPad Version Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
iPad Version - 4/23/2012 3:40:16 PM   
k9mike

I seen that they have announced that they are making iPad version. Will we be able to load our paid downloaded version on that as well??? Or, will we have to pay for another copy for this version..... this looks like the perfect game for the iPad....Might have to finally get one....
Post #: 1
RE: iPad Version - 4/23/2012 4:29:59 PM   
VPaulus

I sense that you've paid only for the Windows version. For iPad you'll have to buy it through iTunes I think.

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 2
RE: iPad Version - 4/23/2012 4:49:53 PM   
vonRocko

Damn these ipads. They will destroy serious gaming.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3
RE: iPad Version - 4/23/2012 5:14:43 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

They said that consoles would destroy serious PC gaming, and it didn't happened.
However I share your concerns.
I don't mind with PC to handheld ports. However I sense that I wouldn't say the same thing if it was the other way around.
I hope that the good sense will prevail, and publishers like Slitherine/Matrix will never stop supporting serious gaming platforms, like PC.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 4/23/2012 5:15:11 PM >

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 4
RE: iPad Version - 4/25/2012 6:00:54 PM   
rogo727

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

quote:

They said that consoles would destroy serious PC gaming, and it didn't happened.
I don't mind with PC to handheld ports. However I sense that I wouldn't say the same thing if it was the other way around.
I hope that the good sense will prevail, and publishers like Slitherine/Matrix will never stop supporting serious gaming platforms, like PC.

Hmm...lets think about this one. 40 million people visit the itunes store a day why not make money and increase profits? Games like Panzer Korps, CEAW, TOF, SCII games and heck even Steel Panthers don't need high end PC'S to run on and can be made for the Ipad and android markets. Why not? I say go for it.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 5
RE: iPad Version - 4/25/2012 7:18:55 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

quote:

quote:

Hmm...lets think about this one. 40 million people visit the itunes store a day why not make money and increase profits? Games like Panzer Korps, CEAW, TOF, SCII games and heck even Steel Panthers don't need high end PC'S to run on and can be made for the Ipad and android markets. Why not? I say go for it.

Yeah, of course, they are going to go for the money. That's the point. We will see a whole slew of easy dumbed down arcade wargames, and less and less "real" games. Wait till we see "Donkey Kong Beyond Normandy", and people will suck it up.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 6
RE: iPad Version - 4/25/2012 8:31:08 PM   
Lukas

quote:

We will see a whole slew of easy dumbed down arcade wargames, and less and less "real" games. Wait till we see "Donkey Kong Beyond Normandy"

Let's not exagurate shall we. Maybe hard to believe, but most of us developers enjoy making wargames. I don't see how a new platform like iPad is gonna change that.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 7
RE: iPad Version - 4/25/2012 11:28:43 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

quote:

We will see a whole slew of easy dumbed down arcade wargames, and less and less "real" games. Wait till we see "Donkey Kong Beyond Normandy"

Let's not exagurate shall we. Maybe hard to believe, but most of us developers enjoy making wargames. I don't see how a new platform like iPad is gonna change that.

Sure. As long the difference between both systems are respected I don't see any problem too. In PC we have big resolutions and mouse/keyboard for input while in iPad we have small resolution and touch screens as input interface.
So the differences are not so big that you can't "easily" adapt the UI to both systems.
The case of consoles using gamepads it's harder, IMO. So the ports are usually bad. You've the recent case of Skyrim, it was created with consoles in mind, resulting in a poor (to say the least) UI in the PC version.
And that's, Luka, what we PC users, are always afraid. Bad ports.

The other thing we PC gamers are also afraid, and specially in this wargaming niche, is you try to do only games for the casual player. iTunes is filled with casual players. Please take this into consideration when you see a hardcore PC gamer manifesting his fears. The experience we have with consoles and the casual player, resulting in a general dumbing down and bad quality titles, taught us to fear this exactly, when you begin to do products only for the casual players.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 4/25/2012 11:39:50 PM >

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 8
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 12:15:00 AM   
rogo727

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure. As long the difference between both systems are respected I don't see any problem too. In PC we have big resolutions and mouse/keyboard for input while in iPad we have small resolution and touch screens as input interface.
So the differences are not so big that you can't "easily" adapt the UI to both systems.
The case of consoles using gamepads it's harder, IMO. So the ports are usually bad. You've the recent case of Skyrim, it was created with consoles in mind, resulting in a poor (to say the least) UI in the PC version.
And that's, Luka, what we PC users, are always afraid. Bad ports.

The other thing we PC gamers are also afraid, and specially in this wargaming niche, is you try to do only games for the casual player. iTunes is filled with casual players. Please take this into consideration when you see a hardcore PC gamer manifesting his fears. The experience we have with consoles and the casual player, resulting in a general dumbing down and bad quality titles, taught us to fear this exactly, when you begin to do products only for the casual players.

I'm sorry folks if this offends you. But I think I speak for those of us that are married, have kids, work a full time job, simply don't have the time or energy to put into a game like WITE, or "hard core" games as you like to call them. I don't think "BA" is a dumbed down version of the same game Matrix offers. Is it the same game? No. Also I hate it when people slam Apple and they don't even own any apple products. Sorry folks, tablets are here to stay, they are the future. So I guess I'm a dumb down version of you That's the jest of what your saying right?

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 9
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 12:49:25 AM   
VPaulus

You are using the same argument as the console crowd.
I could reply to you and say, if you don't have energy for more complex games, you already have Angry Birds that I'm sure it can fulfill your needs and your energy levels. Wargames of course demand another kind of approach, I'm afraid.
And I know, full time job, still married, with sons, etc and they do play more complex games. The others, they don't want even want to play with any kind of game, perhaps Angry Birds, Bricks, Tetris and Pong when they are waiting for their doctor appointment.
And by the way I like BA.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 10
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 4:37:50 AM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I'm sorry folks if this offends you. But I think I speak for those of us that are married, have kids, work a full time job, simply don't have the time or energy to put into a game like WITE, or "hard core" games as you like to call them. I don't think "BA" is a dumbed down version of the same game Matrix offers. Is it the same game? No. Also I hate it when people slam Apple and they don't even own any apple products. Sorry folks, tablets are here to stay, they are the future. So I guess I'm a dumb down version of you That's the jest of what your saying right?

No offense taken. But let's face it, "BA" is already "lite".
VPaulas, you explain my fears so well, Thanks.
I know the future is not all doom and gloom. Lots of good games to come!

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 11
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 4:40:59 AM   
vonRocko

quote:

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 12
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 5:30:41 AM   
gunnergoz

I look forward to the possibilities. I enjoy using the iPad. I sent my iPad 2 to my granddaughter, but plan to buy the new one before too long. It is a fine platform and I miss having mine around, to be honest.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 13
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 5:37:50 AM   
Huffy

well, my son and more than one of his friends who all play XBOX have asked if the games I play,(SPWAW, Panzer Corps) are avail on the XBOX format...and I have asked people before if they plan to bring the games out for the XBOX live, and from the responses , it was not planned at this time. I did see that they had a "Panzer General " game for the Xbox, but it was a disappointment...very basic...so it seems that there is some interest from the younger crowd...and if they can make the games for different formats and keep it as is (well made war game)...I am seeing nothing but positive on it...well, that's just my opinion..
Take care..

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 14
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 6:37:57 AM   
rogo727

quote:

You are using the same argument as the console crowd.
I could reply to you and say, if you don't have energy for more complex games, you already have Angry Birds that I'm sure it can fulfill your needs and your energy levels. Wargames of course demand another kind of approach, I'm afraid.
And I know, full time job, still married, with sons, etc and they do play more complex games. The others, they don't want even want to play with any kind of game, perhaps Angry Birds, Bricks, Tetris and Pong when they are waiting for their doctor appointment.
And by the way I like BA.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I don't play angry birds.....shocking I know. If your lifestyle (wife) lets you sit down and play civ 5 or WITE all day Long. More power to you. If panzer korps is to lite for you don't play it. I could understand your concern if matrix announced WITE comming to the iPad . I've been in the app store trying to find these dumb down wargames people are talking about. Can you give me some examples?

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/26/2012 6:40:00 AM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 15
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 9:33:01 AM   
VPaulus

Again you should read what I've written, you're full of misunderstandings. I said that it was ok by me if they want to port for other platforms. I love Panzer Corps. My only concerns is making a more easier version of Panzer Corps and BA in order to please the casual players only.
Is that possible? I believe it is. It's what have happened in the last 6 and 8 years between console and PC.
Will Slitherine/Matrix do it as publishers? I have my doubts that they will. But...

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 16
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 9:45:53 AM   
Iain McNeil

Have you tried BA on the iPad - it is exactly the same game. PzC on iPad will be exactly the same game.

There is a lot of scaremongering going on which is completely unfounded!

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 17
RE: iPad Version - 4/26/2012 7:20:53 PM   
VPaulus

The scare, Iain, like I've already told, comes from what happened with most of the games, in general, when the consoles begun to reign and dictate the rules of gameplay.
So, naturally, we PC hardcdore (serious) gamers look into the advent of the handhelds with some suspicion. We've been already through this.
The problem is not a BA ported for iPad. The fears is what happen with BA2 and BA3, or if you want with PzC2 and PzC3, if you plan to make it easier for the handheld market.
But like I've told, I'm not so scared with Slitherine/Matrix products, because you've CWG (computer wargame)running in your veins.

Iain, you know, how I think, and I only wish the best success for Slitherine/Matrix. And I too have for long defended it would be a good move to explore the handhelds markets for BA, PzC and Unit of Command.
Now you only have one last move to make, to explore Steam. And we might end of not being a niche market anymore. But please, never forget your heritage, true PC gaming.

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 18
RE: iPad Version - 4/27/2012 2:36:27 PM   
Iain McNeil

All I can say is don't worry. We are not part of the games industry. We are part of the wargames industry. If wargamers want games on iPad we'll make them. if they want them on PC we'll do that too. There is a lot of cool stuff coming which is going to blur the difference between tablets and home PC's in the not too distant future. I really would not be concerned!

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 19
RE: iPad Version - 4/27/2012 2:46:11 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

All I can say is don't worry. We are not part of the games industry. We are part of the wargames industry.

Praise the Lord!

Post #: 20
RE: iPad Version - 4/27/2012 4:25:58 PM   
Lord Zimoa

The iPad version will not be a "Lite" version of the game, just like the BA port, it will be full same Panzer Corps game, just being able to play it outside the PC, soon your iPad and later on your Mac will just enlarge the community.

And again like with BA, it will be the full version and the MP PBEM system will allow you to play cross-platform against each other, so iPad player on the train, plays against you behind your desk on your PC or Mac. The DLC`s, player produced content, we would like to have it all cross-platform available and compatible.

We are planning the same path for the Commander series, exiting times we life in... but the base for all our bigger games will always remain PC strategy, wargaming. That is our trade, our speciality, history and wargaming is our first passion and love. The same counts for Slith/Matrix, we are in this niche market to stay. We try to grow it organically, by producing quality and fun wargames.

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 4/27/2012 4:28:02 PM >

www.thelordzgamesstudio.com
www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 21
RE: iPad Version - 4/27/2012 4:47:09 PM   
VPaulus

Thanks, Tim. That's indeed very reassuring.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 22
RE: iPad Version - 4/28/2012 2:35:54 AM   
rogo727

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

The iPad version will not be a "Lite" version of the game, just like the BA port, it will be full same Panzer Corps game, just being able to play it outside the PC, soon your iPad and later on your Mac will just enlarge the community.

And again like with BA, it will be the full version and the MP PBEM system will allow you to play cross-platform against each other, so iPad player on the train, plays against you behind your desk on your PC or Mac. The DLC`s, player produced content, we would like to have it all cross-platform available and compatible.

We are planning the same path for the Commander series, exiting times we life in... but the base for all our bigger games will always remain PC strategy, wargaming. That is our trade, our speciality, history and wargaming is our first passion and love. The same counts for Slith/Matrix, we are in this niche market to stay. We try to grow it organically, by producing quality and fun wargames.
Best post in this thread by far! Now Lord Zimoa how about making an Matrix/Slith App that will take 4O million people who use itunes a day to your website?

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/28/2012 2:41:03 AM >

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 23
RE: iPad Version - 4/28/2012 8:33:39 AM   
Noypi53

quote:

All I can say is don't worry. We are not part of the games industry. We are part of the wargames industry. If wargamers want games on iPad we'll make them. if they want them on PC we'll do that too. There is a lot of cool stuff coming which is going to blur the difference between tablets and home PC's in the not too distant future. I really would not be concerned!

Thanks for your words of commitment, Ian!

What would set Matrix GAmes / Slitherine Software apart in the wargames industry if multi-OS / devices games like BA (& soon-to-arrive Panzer Corps) could be bought just 1 time & used on several of the OS's & devices. The pricing could be based on how many OS or devices the buyer would like to have. There's an issue to resolve about iTunes purchasing but surely there must be a way around that.

It would also be great if there was an option to put save-games in the Cloud & access it from whatever OS or device the game is being played at the moment.

Post #: 24
RE: iPad Version - 4/28/2012 8:07:18 PM   
rogo727

When panzer korps comes out add it to iCloud and it will save your games.

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 25
RE: iPad Version - 4/29/2012 3:53:31 AM   
Canuck35

quote:

Have you tried BA on the iPad - it is exactly the same game. PzC on iPad will be exactly the same game.

How will attacking be handled? If my recollection is correct,you select your unit and then hover the mouse over the enemy to see the attack odds and then click to attack. You can't hover on a tablet version so how will you be able to see the odds without attacking the enemy? Will an extra tap be thrown in? Tap to see the odds and then tap again to attack?

Post #: 26
RE: iPad Version - 4/29/2012 2:07:38 PM   
Lukas

Of course the UI and controls will have to be adjusted. Doing a straight port of the PC stuff would not only be cheap, it simply wouldn't work.

Another option would be to display all odds on every valid target simultaniously as soon as you select a unit. So there would be no need for double tapping all the time.

(in reply to Canuck35)
Post #: 27
RE: iPad Version - 4/30/2012 2:20:54 AM   
rogo727

Can someone give me an example of a wargame that was made for the apple app store that is a dumb bowned version of the original? I'm just trying to understand your point of view, it might help me understand that's all. The only wargame that I ever had on my PC and on my playstation one was Panzer and Allied General and I thought those played as well as the PC version. Thanks in advance.

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 28
RE: iPad Version - 4/30/2012 9:46:04 AM   
Iain McNeil

Battle Academy!

Alex (Flashback) is working on the iPad version and with his many years on PGF and Pz Corps he'll be ensuring it all plays and feels just right. As the designer and programmer on the games he is behind the very slick UI we have in the current game so no fears here. The game will be exactly the same as PC and Mac. It will not be dumbed down. We don't do that. Don't look at what others are doing. Look at what we are doing!

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 29
RE: iPad Version - 5/2/2012 4:42:41 AM   
jomni

quote:

Wait.

If you consider Panzer Corps as a serious game, then the iPad does serious gaming becuase it's the same Panzer Corps and not dumbed down.
Unless you consider Panzer Corps in the PC as a dumb down wargame in the first place.

< Message edited by jomni -- 5/2/2012 4:43:53 AM >

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> iPad Version Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI