Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/22/2012 5:28:15 PM   
benpark

There is new forum at Slitherine, so I'm assuming this will be announced soon. Hopefully it won't be either a complete bastardization of the spirit of the old series, nor the same old. Hopeful it's something interesting.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

Post #: 1
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/22/2012 5:38:26 PM   
junk2drive

Visions of spinning tanks in the fog...

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 2
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/22/2012 11:41:13 PM   
Perturabo

I'm kinda tired of Panthers and Tigers. I wish someone would make a real time simulation game about Poland '39 or France '40.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/23/2012 12:16:41 AM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

I'm kinda tired of Panthers and Tigers. I wish someone would make a real time simulation game about Poland '39 or France '40.

I doubt we'll see that happen, in particular not Poland. A wargame has to be winnable from both sides or it's not fun.

With that said, I'd like to see games covering neglected yet epic late war struggles, like Hürtgenwald, Halbe Pocket, Budapest 1945. I know, for the latter one exists a Panzer Campaigns title, but the Tiller engine is not my bag.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 4
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/23/2012 1:12:50 AM   
wodin

Thing with new Close Combat games is you can get new ones for free i.e the fantastic mods out there for the different game sin the series. I remember playing a superb Stalingrad mod for instance which was like a new game.

So having to pay for something that a modder may be able to do irks alittle.

Hopefully it's a brand new game with lots of new features.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 5
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/23/2012 1:24:11 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

I doubt we'll see that happen, in particular not Poland. A wargame has to be winnable from both sides or it's not fun.

Why would playing as Poland be unwinnable in a tactical wargame?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 6
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/27/2012 9:36:26 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Thing with new Close Combat games is you can get new ones for free i.e the fantastic mods out there for the different game sin the series. I remember playing a superb Stalingrad mod for instance which was like a new game.

So having to pay for something that a modder may be able to do irks alittle.

Hopefully it's a brand new game with lots of new features.

It is the last game we will be basing on the existing engine, but we are working hard to make sure the old girl goes out with a bang. It has completely upgraded visuals, almost every UI component has been reworked and optimised, there will be an integrated MP lobby and forum to make finding a game easier than ever before, and that's before all the under-the-hood improvements to routefinding and AI.

We are certain it will keep the community plenty busy while the team works on the all-new next generation cross platform Close Combat engine.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/27/2012 9:57:31 PM   
2ndACR

Might hit my list but I hope path finding has been fixed and we don't see all the useless spinning in place or rocking back and forth until the last 2 min of a battle.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 8
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/28/2012 8:54:47 AM   
tigercub

(close Combat)matrix killed the horse....and there still flogging it to see if it will kick!

Tigercub

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 9
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/28/2012 10:55:56 AM   
Lieste

Arjuna has already announced plans to work on a platoon level France '40 game based on BfTB code.

I'd also suggest that Poland is eminently losable by the Germans... At least tactically. The strategic situation is unfavourable to Poland, no least because they have the Russians at the back door.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 10
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/28/2012 6:45:46 PM   
Tejszd

For France 1940 you might be pleasantly surprised.... Didn't the attack commence on May 10....

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 11
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/28/2012 10:56:26 PM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

we don't see all the useless spinning in place or rocking back and forth until the last 2 min of a battle.

When Close Combat 4 was released way back in Dec 1999, people complained of spinning tanks.

I never saw a spinning tank. Not before the patch and not after.

I always suspected it was related to individual graphics cards.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 12
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/28/2012 11:23:42 PM   
danlongman

I have always enjoyed this series since the first "Bridge" one.
Would some one be kind enough to direct me towards some of the mods avaliable?
thanks - dan

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 13
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/29/2012 1:00:22 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lieste

Arjuna has already announced plans to work on a platoon level France '40 game based on BfTB code.

Finally something I would be interested in actually playing.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 14
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/29/2012 7:22:09 AM   
Southern_land

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

For France 1940 you might be pleasantly surprised.... Didn't the attack commence on May 10....

Drum roll please

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 15
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/29/2012 9:31:27 AM   
Hexagon

Well, this is and old problem with CC... i want see something different than west front in 1944 you only need see the pool of mods for CC5, you have Stalingrad 42-43, Okinawa, Ebro 1938 (maybe the best mod for pure infantry combat), Berlin 45, desert fight 1940-1942... i see more work and originality in these mods than in the official games.

If they want give to CC a new look maybe they need start to leave the bored 1944 period in Europe (how many games cover this???) and center in other less covered parts... i allways want see CC moved to the Pacific if they want cover WWII but they can move to other periods like WWI (i allways want see finished the Gallipoli mod for CC5...) or Spanish Civil war... or even post WWII like Korea (was a failed mod for CC5). Vietnam or the Araba Israeli wars... something diferent where we can discover a new game not an old game with new interface.

I am interested in the game but period dont attract me a lot and the images of vehicles... very poor, even the SP based on windows has better vehicles... at least they use camo paterns

(in reply to Southern_land)
Post #: 16
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/29/2012 10:30:44 AM   
Lieste

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

we don't see all the useless spinning in place or rocking back and forth until the last 2 min of a battle.

When Close Combat 4 was released way back in Dec 1999, people complained of spinning tanks.

I never saw a spinning tank. Not before the patch and not after.

I always suspected it was related to individual graphics cards.

I don't think they mean 'spinning' like a ballerina, but rather an inability to decide on a route and to go there is a plausibly direct manner - turning on the spot, backing up, driving along the obstacle rather than through the obvious gap etc - the end result being lots of delays (at best) and dead tanks, that shouldn't have been vulnerable to the weapons that kill them.

And this latter was definitely a feature of CC1-CC4. I understand that it has since been moderated a bit - so the bug-fix suggests that the problem existed ;)

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 17
RE: Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog - 4/30/2012 2:16:12 AM   
jomni

Matrix: Please fix Modern Tactics.  It's the title that gets the least love from you.  :(
You updated the other WW2 titles with a mega patch. And now another WW2 title in the works.
Modern Tactics has been broken for so long.

< Message edited by jomni -- 4/30/2012 2:17:20 AM >

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Close Combat - Panthers in the Fog Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI