Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!Reinforcements on the Frontline!New shipping cost for European territories!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do I change the music files?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> How do I change the music files? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do I change the music files? - 4/21/2012 9:00:06 AM   
rockmedic109

I've got the mp3 files. I changed their names to 1026.SFX through 1031.SFX, replaced the old files with the ones I want and enter the game......and the OLD music plays even though it is no longer in the folder with the game.

OK, it looks like the files were saved as 1026.SFX.mp3 and the .mp3 is not visible. Can someone tell me how to eliminate the .mp3 from the file. I remember something about changing to show extensions but I can't remember how this was done and I am now using Windows 7.

Thank You
Steve

< Message edited by rockmedic109 -- 4/21/2012 9:17:12 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/21/2012 9:29:35 AM   
rockmedic109

OK, ignore {dare I say....disregard} the idiotic paramedic who forgot the first rule in computers......when in doubt, ask google.

Got it working, and now have the theme from Gettysburg, Delta Force, Final Countdown, Force 10 from Navarone, A bridge too far, The longest day and The Bridge over River Kwai playing.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 2
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/21/2012 6:20:13 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

OK, ignore {dare I say....disregard} the idiotic paramedic who forgot the first rule in computers......when in doubt, ask google.

Got it working, and now have the theme from Gettysburg, Delta Force, Final Countdown, Force 10 from Navarone, A bridge too far, The longest day and The Bridge over River Kwai playing.

I didn't google, but aren't SFX files self-executing WAV files, not MP3s?

Can you give a synopis of what you did? I'd like ot listen to music again, but my own selections.

The Moose

Post #: 3
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/21/2012 9:43:53 PM   
rockmedic109

The sound files are 1026.SFX to 1031.SFX. Maybe 1032 and 1033. They will be the large files.

You need the mp3 of your music.

You need to go into the control panel, appearance and personalization, Folder Options and hit the view tab. Uncheck the hide known extensions.

Then rename the music files 1026.SFX etc. Remove the old files or rename them and drop your new music in the sound folder.

I do not know if other types of files will work or not.

I hope it helps, Moose.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 4
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/21/2012 11:17:36 PM   
wdolson

The game engine will play several different formats including MP3. You just need to rename the files you want to be the same SFX files in the game.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 5
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/22/2012 12:43:34 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

The sound files are 1026.SFX to 1031.SFX. Maybe 1032 and 1033. They will be the large files.

You need to go into the control panel, appearance and personalization, Folder Options and hit the view tab. Uncheck the hide known extensions.

Then rename the music files 1026.SFX etc. Remove the old files or rename them and drop your new music in the sound folder.

I hope it helps, Moose.

It does. Thanks.

I dug around on-line and answered my own misconception about what SFX files are, and I have a .RAR archiver which can make SFX files, but I wasn't able to figure out how to jump the gap to getting RARs to SFX suffixes that worked. Didn't think to go the Windows route.

I have a large inventory of MP3s--maybe 12,000--which include a lot of bawdy sea shanties. But for AE I think I'll go for disco. Yeah, disco. That's the ticket.

("I love the nightlife, I got to bomb-bomb!" )

The Moose

Post #: 6
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/22/2012 12:44:26 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The game engine will play several different formats including MP3. You just need to rename the files you want to be the same SFX files in the game.

Bill

Good to know that too. I had thought it was all WAV files given the era it was designed.

The Moose

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/22/2012 2:05:47 AM   
michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Good to know that too. I had thought it was all WAV files given the era it was designed.

The sound/music is played through DirectX (version 9) so can handle more 'modern' formats.

Michael

Post #: 8
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/22/2012 6:11:51 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

I hope it helps, Moose.

It does. Thanks.

I dug around on-line and answered my own misconception about what SFX files are, and I have a .RAR archiver which can make SFX files, but I wasn't able to figure out how to jump the gap to getting RARs to SFX suffixes that worked. Didn't think to go the Windows route.

I have a large inventory of MP3s--maybe 12,000--which include a lot of bawdy sea shanties. But for AE I think I'll go for disco. Yeah, disco. That's the ticket.

("I love the nightlife, I got to bomb-bomb!" )

I think the .rar extensions are like a zip file. I think they have to be unzipped first. Then the file extension can be changed to .sfx

Post #: 9
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/22/2012 9:27:25 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I think the .rar extensions are like a zip file. I think they have to be unzipped first. Then the file extension can be changed to .sfx

Yep, .rar files are a different compression protocol than .zip, but the same idea. I was going from MP3s to .RARs and then making them an SFX in the archiver program, but that was just giving me an archive waiting to be re-opened back to an MP3, closing the loop but not making them playable in the game since it didn't change the suffix.

The answers to my problems are here from the several devs, so all is good. I'm going to cruise my MP3 folder today and come up with a new sound suite. Been a long time since I had music in the game and I do like music to go with playing. Nice to know how easy it is to "change the furniture" and have new music occasionally.

The Moose

Post #: 10
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/22/2012 9:43:19 PM   
rockmedic109

Easy enough that a total dweeb like me can do it.

Almost idiot proof, but I am a sufficiently talented idiot to overcome such precautions.

And I just found the theme from baa baa black sheep. Gotta get that in there!

Post #: 11
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/22/2012 10:24:48 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Almost idiot proof, but I am a sufficiently talented idiot to overcome such precautions.

And I found a folder from years ago--the entire soundtrack from "Victory at Sea." While it does make me want to play the Allies, it's still great music to play by.

The Moose

Post #: 12
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/22/2012 10:37:29 PM   
PizzaMan

I enjoy Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" when playing the Allies in 1942.

Post #: 13
RE: How do I change the music files? - 4/23/2012 12:10:02 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

And I found a folder from years ago--the entire soundtrack from "Victory at Sea." While it does make me want to play the Allies, it's still great music to play by.

Addendum: Victory at Sea won't work as all the files are 10meg and over. It appears there is a size limit on the music files in the 4 meg region. I've swapped several in above and below that limit and the big ones won't play and the smaller ones do. The original ship music files range from a little over 4 meg down to 900K and change.

Anyway . . .

Found some smaller Glenn Miler, Artie Shaw, etc. MP3s in my colleciton, so I'm still good.

The Moose

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> How do I change the music files? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI