Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Field of Glory games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Field of Glory games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Field of Glory games - 4/19/2012 12:26:24 AM   
wodin

I have an itch for ancient warfare which isn't something I've really been into before. I blame Spartacus TV series...

So my question is is FoG worth buying for single player only? I have no interest at all in multi player no matter how easy etc it is as I hate being tied to a game, in the end I start to resent having to play it and eventually I go off the game altogether. So I just want to know about the single player side of things.

The graphics look alot better than I imagined them to look lie, alot better than the HPS Rome Civil war game anyway which is another thats caught my eye.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/19/2012 1:37:55 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I my self like hps series a little better,due to it being a better ancient simulation.  Field of glory is a good system the battles are fairly short....and the AI does put up a fight-its more of a beer and pretzels game.  A good buy for either though.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/19/2012 2:12:54 AM   
jomni

Actually AI's capabilities isn't aren't fancy. This game shines in multiplayer. The game system is simplified because it's a translation of a tabletop game. It's not a simulation and not historical. But I had a hard time grasping the concept of modifiers and such.

< Message edited by jomni -- 4/19/2012 2:14:44 AM >

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 3
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/19/2012 8:07:13 AM   
wodin

HPS then.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 4
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/19/2012 1:11:00 PM   
Anguille

Tin Soldiers: Alexander and Julius Caesar are very very challenging and may be of interest for you.

...Julius Caesar looks very nice.

Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FTd-E02ZdY

< Message edited by Anguille -- 4/19/2012 1:13:34 PM >

Armada 2526 and Distant Worlds: the ultimate space strategy games are HERE in the Matrix

Pushing it to the limits: an Armada 2526 AAR

Lizzie van Zyl RIP

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/19/2012 3:54:49 PM   
Joram

As far as AI, Tin Soldiers has always been one of my favorites.

I would consider Field of Glory to be more in the 'Beer and Pretzels' difficulty for single player. The advantage of FoG is the huge amount of scenarios and time periods covered. It has an army builder but it escapes me at the moment if that can be used in singleplayer. Regardless, where FoG really shines is in the multiplayer arena. My main complaint about it (and a lot of Slitherine games lately) is all the add-ons you have to buy to get the full experience.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 6
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/19/2012 4:02:46 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

So my question is is FoG worth buying for single player only

No it's not. The solo single player AI is horrible. It doesn't know how to hold a line and it doesn't really know how to flank or stick and move.

If you can find Centurion Defender of Rome and get D-Fend Reloaded (a dosbox clone) that's one of the best ancients games ever made. Then as others have suggested the HPS series of ancients games gives a lot more in AI performance than FOF does. I also like Tin Soldiers:Caesar but there wasn't enough scenarios for my tastes in it but still a great challenging game. Last but not least is that Hannibal vs Rome game released by Matrixgames. I hear it gets all the raves for best performance and challenging ai.

< Message edited by Rtwfreak -- 4/19/2012 4:06:34 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/20/2012 4:25:05 PM   
Dave Briggs

Field of Glory is a fun game but the AI is weak. The core game has many faults, but don't get me wrong, it's still a very fun game to play and worth owning.

The good news is that there is currently a dedicated team re-writing the code for the core game. This will be an official rewrite and will be made available for free to all owners of the game. This will not be just a fix but a total rewrite of the code from the bottom up and should be completed by this fall based on current projections.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 1:14:42 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

Field of Glory is a fun game but the AI is weak. The core game has many faults, but don't get me wrong, it's still a very fun game to play and worth owning.

The good news is that there is currently a dedicated team re-writing the code for the core game. This will be an official rewrite and will be made available for free to all owners of the game. This will not be just a fix but a total rewrite of the code from the bottom up and should be completed by this fall based on current projections.

A rewrite sounds fantastic. When will this happen???

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Dave Briggs)
Post #: 9
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 1:46:12 AM   
Dave Briggs

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski
A rewrite sounds fantastic. When will this happen???

It's in progress now and is expected to be done by this Fall.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 10
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 1:55:35 AM   
parusski

Fantastic.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 11
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 11:43:19 AM   
wodin

Hmmm maybe wait for that then. I like the look of the FOG graphics awhole lot better to the HPS games.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 12
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 12:24:02 PM   
JMass

Wodin, in my opinion FoG (and a lot of other wargames) are like sex, multiplayer is better! Seriously, FoG in single player worths just to learn the system, AI is not smart enough to give you a good challenge.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 4:14:24 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

I enjoy FoG for the simple reason I can edit a scenario where Greek Hoplites face off against a line English longbowmen. Is it the best simulation available? No. Is the AI the best? No. IT IS FUN!

< Message edited by KEYSTONE07950 -- 4/21/2012 4:15:41 PM >

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 14
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 5:00:22 PM   
Dave Briggs

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Hmmm maybe wait for that then. I like the look of the FOG graphics awhole lot better to the HPS games.

You might want to consider getting FoG now. Despite it's "flaws" and the weak AI, you will find that the game is still a lot of fun to play. The rewrite is not going to change the basic game and graphics, just going to make it cleaner and better. The DAG army packs will still be used on the new version. So you can't lose and just might find that you will want to try a multiplayer game. That's where the heart of the game lies.

In my opinion, the HPS games offer a more "historical" and detailed simulation, but the user interface is too clunky. And playing the larger battles is very time consuming and tedious. That's not to say it isn't a great game. I own all of them and plan to buy any further releases.

But FoG is just a damn fun and easy to play game. Think about it.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 5:25:29 PM   
berto

quote:

I hold the opposite opinion. Funny how we are all different.

quote:

In my opinion, the HPS games offer a more "historical" and detailed simulation, but the user interface is too clunky. And playing the larger battles is very time consuming and tedious. That's not to say it isn't a great game. I own all of them and plan to buy any further releases.

+1

quote:

But FoG is just a damn fun and easy to play game. Think about it.

I try, I really do, but "fun and easy to play" just doesn't do it for me. I own FoG, but deem it trifling amusing at best.

Every now and then, I "play the field," but I always return to my true love(s), HPS American Civil War (I too own all of them).

(I'll make time for WITP:AE, my second love, after they develop a few more smaller scale, playable scenarios for that great game.)

< Message edited by berto -- 4/21/2012 5:52:16 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 6:23:41 PM   
wodin

Can anyone recommend a good game set in Rome? Ive never played a Total War game so is the Rome one any good? What about the EU one?

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 17
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/21/2012 7:21:23 PM   
H Gilmer

AGEOD's new game with the AGE engine will be about the Roman Civil Wars.

< Message edited by H Gilmer -- 4/21/2012 7:22:34 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/22/2012 3:46:55 AM   
Rtwfreak

If AGEOD lives up to their previous programing the Roman Civil Wars upcoming game Q3 2012 is going to be the best one ever made. I don't know how much Paradox has/will corrupt them though so here's crossing my fingers and hoping it's like their previous games.

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 19
RE: Field of Glory games - 4/22/2012 3:53:02 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

Can anyone recommend a good game set in Rome? Ive never played a Total War game so is the Rome one any good? What about the EU one?

The best one I ever played is an old dos game Centurion Defender of Rome. Of course the graphics are dated but the gameplay is #1 bar none. The AI is superb and will beat you handily on just normal difficulty. There's a couple of fun arcadelike games in it as well to keep the peasants happy. Chariot races in which you can just bet on or participate in and Gladiator fights in which you pick a Gladiator to be. Uses the Sid Meier's Pirates combat engine for the most part in the Gladiator battles pretty simple and pretty easy.

Rome Total War is ok if you play on Very Hard strategy and Medium combat difficulty as they messed up on programming the difficulty settings of hard and very hard for the AI and so the medium setting is much more challenging than very hard. Also, turn off morale before you start a game and you'll find it even more challenging.

< Message edited by Rtwfreak -- 4/22/2012 3:54:49 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Field of Glory games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll