Novice Questions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

bmelenson

Novice Questions

Post by bmelenson »

Hey, can anyone help a novice out? I can't seem to find answers to the following:

1) If I put an air group in the national reserve, what happens to any damaged or reserve aircraft that it has?

2) I understand that during the first winter rules, that up to two German units can avoid damage by holding up in a City hex. If I put a third unit in, will it be considered to be in clear terrain, or does it receive some benefit?

3) How many air groups can you put in a single airfield unit before the mechanics start getting overloaded? Is there an optimal number of groups?

4) How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Thanks!
"There is no problem that cannot be solved through the use of brute force. If brute force does not solve your problem, you simply aren't using enough force."
AFV

RE: Novice Questions

Post by AFV »

4) Depends on how long the woodchuck chucked wood, and also the type of wood being chucked.
bmelenson

Post by bmelenson »

Other factors would be if it were an African or a European woodchuck.

Seriously, though, can anyone help me out on the first three questions?
"There is no problem that cannot be solved through the use of brute force. If brute force does not solve your problem, you simply aren't using enough force."
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Some attempts:

1) I honestly don't know, they either go into the pool or disappear - not sure which.

2) I believe it is considered to be in clear terrain.

3) It depends on a lot of factors - but keep on eye on your support levels - needed vs present - and that will tell you how it is going.
Woof Woof

Post by Woof Woof »

Only discovered WiTE about two months ago (shame on me !). Bought a copy and have started playing. Loving the game but one of my biggest problems so far is that I have absolutely no idea how to construct a rail network. The 0-0 construction units apparently do their own thing as I'm unable to move or direct them, is that correct ?, also although I'm able to move the 0-16 constuction units they don't appear to be achieving anything in terms of extending my rail network.

Can anybody help with an explanation in simple terms of how these units operate.

Many thanks
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

i will try to open your eyes
1 they will stay same thing (going to see reinforcement you will see them 2 turns later identical)
3 as carlkay say you must keep an eye on support needed furthermore if you add some bombers there is a possibility that some will tell no ammo to fly & abort mission

for the rail conversion you can do nothing except placement of your HQ about 0-0
for 16 mp when you arrive on a hex to convert you will see a cost (1baltic 3otherwise) you must click on it
outside baltic you can change 4 hexes at most
Woof Woof

Post by Woof Woof »

ORIGINAL: cpt flam

for the rail conversion you can do nothing except placement of your HQ about 0-0
for 16 mp when you arrive on a hex to convert you will see a cost (1baltic 3otherwise) you must click on it
outside baltic you can change 4 hexes at most

Thanks, I think I'm beginning to understand the situation with the 0-0 construction units and HQ's but I'm still confused with the situation regarding the 0-16 construction units. When I move a 0-16 construction unit into a rail hex I don't see any "cost" to repair al I see is that my movement points having decreased and the hex info says "Axis rail damage 100" plus info about off rail MP and off rail range. I'm obviously missing something [&:]
Banzan

Post by Banzan »

You can only convert rail next to a repaired rail. The "Button" is shown in the FBD Unit icon (not really poking your eyes).
Woof Woof

Post by Woof Woof »

ORIGINAL: Banzan

You can only convert rail next to a repaired rail. The "Button" is shown in the FBD Unit icon (not really poking your eyes).

At last !!!! many thanks Banzan [&o]

While you're here any tips on getting the 0-0 construction units to go in a particular direction ? I've got loads of them working northward in the area around Riga when I'd really prefer them to be working eastward in the direction of Smolensk and Minsk.

Thanks again
wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

Since we're asking rookie questions: What is muling? [&:]
Wurger
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

It is a complicated system of attaching and re attaching units to HQs to take advantage of a loophole in the HQ build up rules, It allows large amounts of supply to be moved large distances, regardless of the ability of the logistics system to support it.

It is very controversial, but legal within the current rule set.
It's only a Game

wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

Thanks. I've been playing the jewel since it came out and I still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.
Wurger
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

ORIGINAL: wurger54

Thanks. I've been playing the jewel since it came out and I still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.
Same here; i've played it for more than a year; the complexity on the product page is listed as 'advanced' for a reason.......
wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

I'm seeing what looks like wildly varying results on the AARs in terms of what the Axis can do in '41. In my games (PBEM as both German and Soviet) the German tends to grab Leningrad, but not Moscow, and ends up in a line S from there, usually short of Stalino. Can the Germans win this one? I remember the Germans could win in War in Russia once in a while.
Wurger

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”