Minors Equipment? and Influence

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

battlevonwar

Minors Equipment? and Influence

Post by battlevonwar »

I remember reading about the series of Balkan Wars. How Artillery between the various factions played out influenced the day. Artillery provided by Majors. When you play a Minor in game it's rare you upgrade equipment(takes forever) the game should slowly and naturally upgrade their equipment.

Finland and Spain in particular... Which Axis Minor would not have been flying 109s?

Which Minors wouldn't have been provided equipment with their Host Nation? Perhaps an investment possibility in a nations armed forces... Naturally keeping their Effective Power low or in tune with their history.

I am playing my first game where you could see up to 100 Axis Minor Units in the Field. That is a MASSIVE #... Should the player be able to influence these nations? i.e. Bulgaria stayed inside her own borders during the War as far as I know. I doubt Spain would have fought on the Eastern front. etc...

Any input and ideas here 100 divisions/corps could change the outcome of a war. Perhaps a limitation on the percentage of a Minors units that can leave it's own borders(or regional operational area) would also help the AIs wreaking havoc on front line positions and adding history?

BTW: I love the Greek Partisans in game. They should be MEANER
Razz1

RE: Minors Equipment? and Influence

Post by Razz1 »

We had this for fighters in the first release but it was changed.

There is some work with minors but needs more.

Try the Third Reich scenario as it has allot more upgrades and trading options with the minors.

Also, build times have changed for minors to make it harder.
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

Historically, the Germans were extremely stingy with any equipment provided to their "allies".

There was nothing like an Axis version of "Lend Lease" ... allies paid in full (and usually a premium, to boot), in advance and got, at best, scraps and leftovers. They generally recognised that German equipment was better than what they had, or could produce, but the Germans and really wanted to buy more ... tanks and planes especially ... but the Germans didn't have enough for their own use, and were extremely reluctant to shortchange themselves to supply their allies, even for cash.

So the fact that Axis allies remain on Level 1 for pretty much everything through the war is quite historical.

The only realistic way I can see of allowing them access to more, higher tech, German, equipment is to allow the Germans to provide the PPs to buy ... whatever ... but, since this would merely circumvent German building limits in ways that, in reality, simply weren't possible, I wouldn't recommend that.

The best I can think of, offhand, is to allow special events to be triggered by *German* actions that will allow them to buy higher tech Armour or Air units for minor allies, representing the Germans shorting themselves ... and then allow the allies to buy replacements for such units once the Germans have paid for them initially (at much higher cost than the Germans would have to pay).

So, say, for every so many VPs (or Victory Cities they occupy) that's historically better than they did at a specific check date, allow them to purchase an upgraded unit for one (or more) allies etc.

(Also, as a matter of historicity, German minor allies shouldn't get any PPs from any cities they capture ... they should all go to the Germans, as was historically the case)

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

I'll pick a small example... The Romanian Air Force of WW2, over 500(started the war) airplanes shot down thousands of Russian Planes. Did many operations. 1 25 plane unit. Sort of unrealistic, even if confined to an area of operation and old technology(not vs the Russian biplanes). Though perhaps it's better that it's all abstract. The map clutter of hundreds of Axis Minor Units is quite nerve wrecking at times. Although their production should be like a babies and they should be handicapped a bit.(early in the war things were quite different)

Finland did do well with the planes they had. The American Brewster for instance. Cannot really defend herself in games terms and she did a far better job than is humanly possible with the current setup.

Not sure exactly how to put the resources, though already Minors are much tougher(Germany cannot Amphib them like they are cakewalks) she has to send in units now. A lot of these little guys did fight. Just like to see them show some teeth..not getting in the way of the overall theme though. Switzerland in this game is a prime example of Minor Toughness! :)
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

This is modeled well in the Third Reich and will be enhanced.

Return to “Time of Fury”