Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Design and Modding >> SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD - 4/16/2012 8:10:53 AM   
welk

If some events seems to you bad, damaging gameplay, etc : give their reference here

N° identity of the event
xml file where the event is

You may search these informations in event folder (that contents all xml event fils, which content themselve all events)

If these elements are unknow : give at least the effects of event and the concerned country and the concerned part of game (i.e : to decrease german strengh points, etc )and in addition, give the date where event comes, etc : in fact, give all informations that will allow to identify the concerned event.

With the list of all "indesirable events", I will build a little system that will allow you to turn on/off very quickly and easely the concerned events with high precision ("this precise event and not other event") before to begin a game.

Please : no discussion here about the opportunity of the events ;
: just the "technical list".

Due to the limited "working time", I will probably limit the mod for 10/15 events : the most indesirable events that will appears in the list (events that will re-come in the "indesirable list" with high frequency)

In addition : If the event you want to add in the list seems be a "interdependant event", please, indicate this.

I think it would be better to limit this mod-system for events that are not interdependant and that are just a "final result" (like decreasing german strengh points in some cases, etc (winter, after Poland conquest,etc). Then, players will be free of the 10/15 events that are the most indesirable in game, in their opinion (If the list contents more than 10/15 events, we will have to make a choice)

After this first work for 10/15 "most heavy indesirable events", the selective system could be in the time be completed, if some "new" indesirable event would appear for players (in this case, it will be added in the selective system).

But please :
1/No opportunity discussions here
2/Give maximum informations about the concerned events, to identify them with precision (it would be better if a player who want give a event in this list, could search himsel the xml file where the event is (it will save time for me and will probably be easy in most cases : if the event concerns german strengh point, the player should find it probably in the german event xml file, etc)

< Message edited by welk -- 4/16/2012 8:33:35 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD - 4/16/2012 9:06:23 AM   
welk

For those who would want do the things themselve, attached is a little basic tool event : you have just to copy-past the concerned event in this file, and then to give a name to this new individual event xml file. Then, you have in addition to add it in the txt event list of the scenario. Each time you lunch the game, you will be able in 2 seconds to turn off this event (just erasing it from the txt event list, without erasing any other event : "precise" selection I tried that with a "test event" and it works fine.

With this system, players could create their own txt list event files and share these event list

It's the work I plane to do for the 10/15 "heavy indesirable events" mentionned in the thread above

attached rectified (little mistake in instructions)
After working, do not forget to erase the concerned event in the xml file that contained id (to not have 2 events with the same N° identity)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by welk -- 4/16/2012 9:38:34 AM >

(in reply to welk)
Post #: 2
RE: SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD - 4/16/2012 9:18:30 AM   
gwgardner

You have a fertile mind, Welk. Your efforts much admired and appreciated.

I don't have a problem with events, so won't go to the effort to research this one, but there is the social unrest in Germany event, due to prolonged war. A -400PP hit for Germany all at once. It's rather nasty.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 4/16/2012 9:21:54 AM >

(in reply to welk)
Post #: 3
RE: SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD - 4/16/2012 9:35:03 AM   
welk

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

You have a fertile mind, Welk.

No, no.. I am just french We are all like that

One mistake rectified in the attached : do not forgetto cut/erase the cocnerned event in the xml file that contained it (to have not 2 events in the game, with same identity N°)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 4
RE: SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD - 4/16/2012 10:36:54 AM   
welk

The event you talk seem be : "German war effort unrest"

Attached is a sample of what may be made with the selective system mod : now, players may choice, before to begin a war, to turn on/off this precise event.

To turn it on = nothing to do
To turn it off : they have just to erase it from the txt lit event.

Installation of this little mod : save your original files, and copy the event and scen folder in the data folder of game (original files will be replaced)

Tip : when you do a search event in a xml file : use the "search" windows and tape in :eventID=

It will return you only the title event lines in the file, and you will save time
(tip to be used if you do not find the exact term you search for event you look for)

To build this little mod, I have copied all the german war effort unrest events in my event selective tool, and erased these events from the german events xml file, then, I gave the new xml file builded this name : Germane_war_effort_unrest, and I added this name in the event txt lit : that's all = very fast modding work and very easy to do if you are able to locate immediatly the searched event. If players can give me that sort of information for all "indesirable" events, the tool will be ready very soon.

In addition, I have to say that there are approx 100 xml event files. If 100 players would accept to take 1 xml file and extract with the tool all events in their xml file (with high and serious precision in work), then the ToF community would have modified the event system file, to have a more selective system : a lot of little event xml files, and a long txt list of events, with the possibility to turn on/off ALL events in the game. I had a dream...

The constitution of the txt list should not cause pb : I could display on my PC screen the entire list of xml names files, and then I would make a "screen image capture". I would scan this image and would choice a "txt transfert", so my scanner would convert the image of name list files in txt file. If the size of names is high, it would have no any scan error.

Impossible is not french, said Napoleon

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by welk -- 4/16/2012 10:56:10 AM >

(in reply to welk)
Post #: 5
RE: SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD - 4/16/2012 10:59:40 AM   
welk

Note : better way to turn off an event in the list : To not erase it in the txt list, just to add that at beginning of the line where the event is listed : ;

It will neutralize the entire line without alter the txt list (usefull if you want to turn on the concerned events in a other game). I did a test in game and it works very fine.

Then players could share their own event txt list : to create such "customized lists", they would just have to open the txt event list in scenario folder and to add the symbol ; at beginning of line where are event they want to turn off

I will propose to Wasterland a commercial deal : to include this system in next versions, and they will get 1% for them on the game price (the rest for me)

< Message edited by welk -- 4/16/2012 11:13:46 AM >

(in reply to welk)
Post #: 6
RE: SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD - 4/16/2012 6:10:37 PM   
gwgardner

Someone once proposed to create an event editor. Would be cool. But a lot of effort, to present event names, options, along with consequences. Not to mention that a choice for one event may serve as a trigger for other events.

(in reply to welk)
Post #: 7
RE: SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD - 4/16/2012 7:27:57 PM   
welk

Yes, i saw that. The project was ambitious but the goal never reached. What I propose is less ambitious but may be made in few time with few work : It just need that players who do not love a event search this event in xml event files and give me the info to localize it. Then, i will include it in the tool and this event will be turnable on/off very easely for the future, without any use of xml editor.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Design and Modding >> SELECTIVE EVENT SYSTEM MOD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI