Land of The Giants ( A WPO Scenario: Empire101 (J) vs Historiker (A) )

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Empire101

Land of The Giants ( A WPO Scenario: Empire101 (J) vs Historiker (A) )

Post by Empire101 »

Historiker and myself have decided to play War Plan Orange, and use this as joint AAR as its just for fun.

We are playing the 'SuperDreadnought' PBEM Scenario.

FOW: ON

Submarine Doctrines: OFF ( as its ahistorical anyway )

Advanced Weather Effect: ON

Automated First Turn.

PDU: OFF

Auto Subs: OFF

Turn Cycle : 1

Reinforcements: FIXED

As long as no one has any objections to us posting our AAR here,
we both thought it could be alot of fun. ( the WPO Forum is a vast echoing hall of emptiness... or so it seems!!)
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Empire101

RE: Land of The Giants

Post by Empire101 »

With the Washington Conference doomed, war was a
very definite possibility. Like the powder keg
of Europe in the 1910's it was only a matter of
time before it exploded. In March, 1922, the
Japanese officially suspended negotiations with
the United States.

On May 30, 1926, the Japanese issued a letter to
the American government officially declaring a
"State of war". While the Japanese did not
declare war on any other nation, the British
begin to deploy forces to India to protect
Commonwealth Interests.

Unlike the Americans, the Japanese navy is
concentrated in the Pacific. However, in
terms of battleships the bulk of the fleet
consists of predreadnoughts and coast
defense battleships. However, all of Japan's
dreadnoughts are modern, and all except the
Settsu have 35cm or 41cm guns, unlike the
American 12 inch gunned ships.

As the Supreme Japanese commander, you have
one main goal. Seize the Philippine islands,
set up a convoy route, and entrench. When the
American fleet approaches Manila, you can either
fall back and let the enemy blockade, or you
can move to intercept and attempt to destroy
the American fleet in a grand naval battle.
Also, as the Japanese commander, if you wish
you may invade China, the Dutch East Indies,
or French Indo China. The choice is yours,
and the path is yours.

(Designers note: Production is off in all WPO scenarios)

Well this is my overall strategic briefing at the start of the game, and to be honest its a bit vague, but orders are orders!!

The game has now started, and it is really like going back in time, in more ways than one. Not only is the technology less effective ( most planes have a range of 1 hex[:(] ), but going back to the old WitP map, game and general way of doing things, was a bit of a culture shock after AE.

Anyway here is a map of the Phillipines in WPO.

I checked around all the usual suspects, and found several units prep'd for Manila, so they are going to follow the landings at (...censored... ).
My initial objective is to take and hold the Phillippines, but there will also be three or four 'suprise' strikes on the map to hopefully keep Historiker off balance.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..1414.34.jpg
ScreenHunt..1414.34.jpg (267.75 KiB) Viewed 543 times
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Here is a typical Japanese BB of the Dreadnought era, the Mutsu, a most formidable weapon by the look of her stats!!

Attachments
ScreenHunt..1414.38.jpg
ScreenHunt..1414.38.jpg (312.02 KiB) Viewed 543 times

obvert

Post by obvert »

I remember when I first saw the AE map, I thought it was really garish and not as nice as the WITP map. I can't imagine having to use that again now!

This should be fun. I mean occasionally at least!

Do any of your planes have the ability to kill a ship should you actually get close enough to use one?
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

There are Torpedo Bombers, though almost all have a range of just one hex. So it is more than unlikely that they will have any significant impact.
But this also means that there's no Naval Search to speak of.
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

I am hoping to launch a major offensive on the Asian mainland.

The 'Great Manchurian Adventure', will hopefully become an interesting sub-plot in the game.

At the moment the Japanese only hold Port Arthur....so there is alot of work to be done if this 'Expedition' is to be a success.

At the start of the scenario, no units were loaded so it will take a few days for the transports to load and get on their way.....why this was'nt set up at the start of the scenario is beyond me!?

So all quiet ( so far ), as both sides organise and marshall their forces....I think its going to be a bumpy ride!!

Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Created by the amazing Dixie
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

The only weak side is the lack of aerial recon. But I love the big guns and almost conviced mike in our AE gmae that I'm allowed to add two additional Yamatos to the DB. Without serious aerial threat, I will show my teeth...

Anglo-French Consultations:

After Japan had cancelled the alliance with GB, the Japanese declaration of war on the US increased the tensions in Asia.
The French President met with the King George V. and Prime Minister for consultations today. Both sides reasured each other that the Entente cordiale still counts. In a public statement, both governments announced their deep concerns about the asiatic crisis and that both goverments won't accept any Japanese dominance of Asia. Both armies will coordinate their defences and the french fleet will join the Royal Navy in the defense of the European Colonial empires.

Joint Statement of the Dominion's goverments
The dominion's goverments declare publicly their deep concern about the Japanese aggression. Feeling threatened directly, they will consider an attack on one part of the Empire as an attack on all of the empire. The Australian and the New Zealand's government ordered their armed forces to combine and prepare for any Japanese aggression.
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Historiker

The only weak side is the lack of aerial recon. But I love the big guns and almost conviced mike in our AE gmae that I'm allowed to add two additional Yamatos to the DB. Without serious aerial threat, I will show my teeth...

After Japan had cancelled the alliance with GB, the Japanese declaration of war on the US increased the tensions in Asia.
The French President met with the King George V. and Prime Minister for consultations today. Both sides reasured each other that the Entente cordiale still counts. In a public statement, both governments announced their deep concerns about the asiatic crisis and that both goverments won't accept any Japanese dominance of Asia. Both armies will coordinate their defences and the french fleet will join the Royal Navy in the defense of the European Colonial empires.

The dominion's goverments declare publicly their deep concern about the Japanese aggression. Feeling threatened directly, they will consider an attack on one part of the Empire as an attack on all of the empire. The Australian and the New Zealand's government ordered their armed forces to combine and prepare for any Japanese aggression.

Japan, under Prime Minister Ōkuma Shigenobu and Foreign Minister Katō Takaaki, have drafted the initial list of Twenty-One Demands, which have been reviewed by the genrō and Emperor Taishō, and approved by the Diet.

This list was presented to Yuan Shikai on June 1, 1926, with warnings of dire consequences if China were to reject.

The Twenty One Demands have been divided into five groups:

Group 1 confirms Japan's recent acquisitions in Shandong Province, and expands Japan's sphere of influence over the railways, coasts and major cities of the province.

Group 2 pertains to Japan's South Manchuria Railway Zone, extending the leasehold over the territory into the twenty-first century, and expanding Japan's sphere of influence in southern Manchuria and eastern Inner Mongolia, to include rights of settlement and extraterritoriality, appointment of financial and administrative officials to the government and priority for Japanese investments in those areas.

Group 3 will give Japan control of the Hanyeping mining and metallurgical complex, already deep in debt to Japan.

Group 4 bars China from giving any further coastal or island concessions to foreign powers except for Japan.

Group 5 contains a miscellaneous set of demands, ranging from Japanese advisors appointed to the Chinese central government and to administer the Chinese police force (which will severely intrude on Chinese sovereignty) to allowing Japanese Buddhist preachers to conduct missionary activities in China.

Ōkuma Shigenobu.

No reply has been received from the Chinese Government,
and so, I regret to inform you,.... a state of War now exists between Imperial Japan and China.
Attachments
Kijuro_Shidehara.jpg
Kijuro_Shidehara.jpg (10.47 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Reuters Latest......In reply to this unparalleled act of Western Aggression, the Imperial Japanese Empire has no option but to leave the League of Nations......End Message.

The Far Eastern War Cloud spreads its shadow.

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Entente Cordiale
The governments of the British Empire and of France guarantee China's independence and will react appropriatly should China's independence be endangered.

Dutch Goverment
The Kingdom of the Netherlands insists on it's independence and will accept no violation of her rights. To protect the Dutch independence, the Nederlandse Krijgsmacht declares a zone of neutrality which will be defended by force.
The zone's borders will be from Sinkep Island to Singkawang and the line from Tarakan to Hollandia.

Chinese Republic
Feeling asured by the Entente, despite the lack of any promised assistance, the Chinese defy those Japanese colonial ambitions. Japan will be curshed, should it dare to attack the great chinese civilization.

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Entente Cordiale
The governments of the British Empire and of France guarantee China's independence and will react appropriatly should China's independence be endangered.

Dutch Goverment
The Kingdom of the Netherlands insists on it's independence and will accept no violation of her rights. To protect the Dutch independence, the Nederlandse Krijgsmacht declares a zone of neutrality which will be defended by force.
The zone's borders will be from Sinkep Island to Singkawang and the line from Tarakan to Hollandia.

Chinese Republic
Feeling asured by the Entente, despite the lack of any promised assistance, the Chinese defy those Japanese colonial ambitions. Japan will be curshed, should it dare to attack the great chinese civilization.

From The Imperial Palace:

In a Statement to the Tokyo Express, Takaaki Kato expressed his deep concern that China was deeply embroiled in a Pan Western Conspiracy to subjugate and enslave the Asian races.

This will not be tolerated anymore, he stated. He also roundly condemned the Dutch government, and in reply to their threats stated;
'No line can be drawn in the sea to halt Imperial Japanese colonial ambitions.....they will live to regret siding with the British and American aggressors.'

As for China threatening to 'cursh' the Imperial Japanese Empire, the gauntlet has been thrown down!!!!

Takaaki Kato at the Palace.
Attachments
220px-Taka..ato_suit.jpg
220px-Taka..ato_suit.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

You'd make a great politician! We getting to the war anytime soon? [:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Japan mobilises for the great struggle.

Attachments
IJA1.jpg
IJA1.jpg (13.71 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

[:D]
Indeed, he's good! I did my best to draw first blood, but he has the turn to show it [:)]

The chinese mobilize their forces:

Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (80.88 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

You'd make a great politician! We getting to the war anytime soon? [:D]

Thanks Mike, but I think this phrase most certainly pertains to somebody like me[:D];

'It would always be wise to keep madmen well out of reach of the levers of power'

When I receive the next turn it will only be Turn 3......and WPO does'nt move at the pace of AE[>:][:D]

But hopefully in a few turns things will really start hotting up.

The 'Great Manchurian Adventure' certainly looks like it will spice up the game[;)]

There is some trepidation at Imperial HQ at taking on such an esteemed, and some would say, feared opponent as Historiker....but there is no turning back now.!![X(]

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

you did realize you already got the turn back? :)

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Christ!!
That was quick....

I'm on it!![:D]

jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Looks fun...never played this or UV
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

There are Torpedo Bombers, though almost all have a range of just one hex. So it is more than unlikely that they will have any significant impact.
But this also means that there's no Naval Search to speak of.

The Martin NBS-1 bombers can deliver the mail with their bombs. I think if they're high enough in experience, they can carry 2,000 lb bombs. Like most of the planes, they're short legged.

I love the 1922 scenario, because it's festooned with pre-dreds.

Ed-

Return to “After Action Reports”