Meet the Forumites

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

Meet the Forumites

Post by Canoerebel »

Lady and Gents,

There's a regular feature in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution business section on Sundays: Meet John Doe. This introduces in capsule form some important area business leader. I was not at all interested in Sunday's feature about a local real estate tycoon, but I would be interested in learning more about my fellow forumites, who are good people all. With that in mind, I present a template below. Copy and paste and fill in your information. We've done this kind of thing quite some time ago, but lots of new folks around, and plenty of others I've long since forgotten about (including Chickenboy, on purpose). Ground rules:

1. Keep it short!
2. No "puffing" - you can't say you're reading Brothers Karamzov right now if you really aren't. If you're reading People magazine, you have to own up to it.
3. No Tweeting, Facebook, LinkedIn or other social media allowed.
4. Just to prove this isn't a way to boast about my own self (like those horrid "What music are you listening to now" threads), I am disqualified from participating.

Template:

Job:
Family:
Education:
Work:
Favorite Quote:
Reading:

P.S. If nobody replies to this, I will be most embarrassed.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
BeastieDog

RE: Meet the Forumites

Post by BeastieDog »

I tried to create a new login called "Nobody", but it was already taken.
Dog
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

Template:

Job: Pastor
Residence: Meldrim, GA
Family: Wife, Diane, two sons, one daughter, one granddaughter (that I know about!)
Education: M Div, Candler School of Theology, Emory University
Work: Ministry,
Favorite Quote:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Reading: Six Frigates
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Job: CEO/President of Sunflower Commodity Trading
Residence: Kansas
Family: Happily married with one boy and another on the way.
Education: 4 year college degree in business
Work: See above
Favorite Quote: "Life isn't fair. The sooner you realize that, the easier it is."
Reading: Battles and Leaders of The Civil War ...a series.

Excellent idea Dan.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I think I struck out on Rev Rick's list of things you're supposed to be able to do, but I do know his town (Meldrim, GA, well). 

jeffk, I didn't know you were such a young lad!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

Job: Former Colonial Oppressor
Residence: somewhere in the British Empire
Family: Sadly none[:(]
Education: Sandhurst
Work: establishing commerce and maintaining order for the Union Jack
Favorite Quote: Rule Brittania, Brittania rule the waves
Reading: the nutrition labels on all his food [:)]
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
KMCCARTHY

Post by KMCCARTHY »

OK, I'll bite:

Job: MetOp Mission Manager (Google works, you figure it out)
Residence: Annapolis, MD USA
Family: Wife and 2 kids (wife is fine with WITPAE, she knows where I am)
Education: BA, MPA, and BS
Work: NASA
Favorite Quote: "Men Wanted: For hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.”
¯ Ernest Shackleton
Reading http://www.amazon.com/The-Imperial-Crui ... 0316008958 Trying to get through this. Bradley is a great writer but it is depressing as I know how it will end... http://www.amazon.com/James-Bradley/e/B ... r_dp_pel_1
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Job: Formerly a Deputy state agency head; beginning new job as Director of Research at a University on May 1.

Residence: Currently Austin, soon to be Boerne, Texas. Boerne is a small hill country town just outside of my hometown of San Antonio.

Family: Wife, 6 year old son; 5 year old daughter; 10 month old daughter; 2 male Italian Greyhounds.

Education: BA History and JD from UT Austin (Hook 'em Horns!)

Work: Not sure the difference between job and work. I'll say trying to keep up with AE turns and AAR while trying to move.

Favorite Quote: Way too many to count. I love the Teddy Roosevelt "in the ring" speech, etc. I'll go with "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' while you reach to pick up a rock" by Talleyrand.

Reading: Currently reading "The Next 100 Years" by George Friedman, and "Armoured Crusader," a biography of Maj Gen Percy "Hobo" Hobart, by Kenneth Macksey.

vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Job: Veterinarian
Residence: Toledo, Ohio
Family: Divorced. Three daughters 20,17, and 13. GF: Psychochic and her daughter 9 (its a slow death from estrogen toxicity)
Education: DVM, The Ohio State University
Work: Owner, Lewis Animal Hospital
Favorite Quote: “Dear General: We have met the enemy and they are ours. Two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop. Yours with great respect and esteem, O.H. Perry.”

Reading: A half dozen veterinary journals and trying to finish Fire in the Sky

Edit:

Other Games I am playing: Battle Pirates
Last Battlefield visited: Not counting that I passed Fallen Timbers last week, Fort Mackinaw (the Singapore of Northern Michigan)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Yuppers Dan...just a kiddo.

Dez caught it
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: RevRick
Favorite Quote:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Robert Heinlein, he did have some good quotes.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Job: Cinema operator / operator supervisor
Residence:Kaiserslautern, Germany
Family: Married
Education: Gymnasium
Work: UCI cinema Kaiserslautern
Favorite Quote: “Do or do not... there is no try (Yoda)
Reading: The manual of Forge of Freedom (you asked)

KMCCARTHY

Post by KMCCARTHY »

Favorite Quote:

As all know, RAH. Great quote.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Ha! I am reading the FoF manual to change things up tonight....hahaha

Dez caught it
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Job: I own my own consulting and software development company

Residence: just outside Portland, OR

Family: Just my SO who constantly underestimates her abilities (everybody but her thinks she's a brilliant attorney) and a cat that thinks he's a dog

Education: BS in Electronic Engineering from Cal Poly SLO

Work: Mostly consulting with a company in California updating their software which was written for Windows 1.0 and hasn't had many updates since.

Favorite Quote: It varies, lately I've been saying that spring in the Northwest means only three more months of winter.

Reading: Kind of between books at the moment.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

Job: J1/Human Resources Director
Residence: Peoria, IL
Family: Wife, 4 kids (oldest son graduating HS, 3 daughters in or approaching teenage- which is why I need WITP as an escape!)
Education: BA History/International Relations, MBA
Work: US Army (National Guard)
Favorite Quote: "In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible" GEN Eisenhower
Reading: Pacific Crucible, Ian Toll (Thanks to recommendations from this forum!!)

Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Reading: Currently reading "The Next 100 Years" by George Friedman, and "Armoured Crusader," a biography of Maj Gen Percy "Hobo" Hobart, by Kenneth Macksey.
I recently read "The Next 100 Years", while I was in Afghanistan, interesting book (recognizing, as he does, the further in the future you get the more assumptions are involved). The funny part was, I discussed some of his predictions on Europe and Poland with the Polish officers I was working with, and most thought he was crazy. But I had a couple that were very interested, and one even borrowed the book to read it.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Ha! I am reading the FoF manual to change things up tonight....hahaha
Aaaah I love that game, its one of these few evergreens already for me.Sparked also my interest in the ACW which is a plus.

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

ORIGINAL: Justus2

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

I recently read "The Next 100 Years", while I was in Afghanistan, interesting book (recognizing, as he does, the further in the future you get the more assumptions are involved). The funny part was, I discussed some of his predictions on Europe and Poland with the Polish officers I was working with, and most thought he was crazy. But I had a couple that were very interested, and one even borrowed the book to read it.

Holy Future Self-fulfilling Prophecies, Batman!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Job: mobile crisis counselor for children
Residence: NE Tenn
Family: none, just me and my two cats
Education: Master's in Community Agency Counseling, Clemson
Work: Youth Villages a non-profit that work with children and their families
Favorite Quote: none specific
Reading: Nomonhan, 1939...Ameritopia...Secret Weapon...Kaigun
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”