Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT - Prop Pitch when Parked

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT - Prop Pitch when Parked Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 4:18:29 PM   
LoBaron

Just out of interest, what is the reccommended prop pitch setting when your plane is parked and tied down, and why is it reccommended?

I can think of reasons for both, 100% and 0%.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!
Post #: 1
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 5:08:04 PM   
CT Grognard

My understanding is fine pitch, or 100%.

This is because it requires less power to rotate the prop on engine start-up, since there is less drag and there is less chance of the engine overheating.

But I can see how fine pitch on a parked aircraft could be a problem from a safety point-of-view, i.e. accidental ignition of the turboprop leading to very high-speed propeller rotation.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 2
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 6:06:47 PM   
dorjun driver

What are you two on about this time?

(in reply to CT Grognard)
Post #: 3
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 7:00:15 PM   
Empire101

Does LoBaron have his own aeroplane?

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 4
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 10:42:57 PM   
LoBaron

Thanks Deon! Sounds logical.

Dorjun driver, this forum is so full of knowledge, why not tap it? Canorebel´s thread about the Civil War, the discussion
on the Falkland situation, the "Feline Secret Weapons", "Guess the Aircraft" thead #127...I got a lot of respect for the creativity
and accumulated wisdom around here. So if I got questions only barely related to flying, sailing, submarines, Yamamotos postcard
collection, or the average percentage of 3rd wire landings on Hornet from July-Sep ´44, I rather ask it here before I search anywhere
else.

Empire101, sadly no. Its one of my dreams but I guess without winning in the lottery the planes I own will remain virtual.
Still interesting to visit all the places important in WitP AE and so WWII. Teaches you much about the geography
of those places. The three pics below are from todays crossing of the Bass Strait from Tasmania to Yarram, Australia.

S**t happens in war.

Post #: 5
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 10:45:26 PM   
drw61

If he does have his own airplane it makes me a little worried that he would ask the forum on how to fly it

Posted too late - I like the pictures LoBaron

< Message edited by drw61 -- 4/8/2012 10:46:44 PM >

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 6
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 11:27:14 PM   
wdolson

I had noticed that turboprops always feathered the props on shutdown, but piston engine planes didn't. I finally figured out why. The wind will cause a turbo prop to windmill if not feathered because there is very little resistance on the shaft when unpowered. On a piston engine, the wind is trying to move the pistons when shut down which means there is a lot of resistance, so they are not feathered.

As far as I've noticed, the pitch on shutdown for a piston engine is usually whatever the pitch was before shutdown, which is, I believe, usually fine pitch when taxiing.

I'm just speculating though. I've never really heard the answer from a pilot.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 7
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 11:34:44 PM   
CT Grognard

Another thing I can think of is that on fine pitch the aircraft won't move forward very quickly once the engine is switched on, which is obviously desirable when starting up the plane and taxiing to the takeoff runway.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 11:46:22 PM   
aoffen

screwed up photo. new post next

< Message edited by aoffen -- 4/8/2012 11:49:46 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 9
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/8/2012 11:49:25 PM   
aoffen

Did that flight for real about 2 weeks ago in a single engine Cirrus SR22. With all the modern gear on that plane, the pucker factor crossing Bass Straight is still about 7. I have no idea how those guys flew their aircraft with no modern navigational equipment off aircraft carriers in the middle of the Pacific. Their pucker factor must have been off the charts.
Regards
Andrew
Photo : land fall in Tasmania. Pucker factor dropping

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by aoffen -- 4/8/2012 11:50:22 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 10
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 8:09:24 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I had noticed that turboprops always feathered the props on shutdown, but piston engine planes didn't. I finally figured out why. The wind will cause a turbo prop to windmill if not feathered because there is very little resistance on the shaft when unpowered. On a piston engine, the wind is trying to move the pistons when shut down which means there is a lot of resistance, so they are not feathered.

As far as I've noticed, the pitch on shutdown for a piston engine is usually whatever the pitch was before shutdown, which is, I believe, usually fine pitch when taxiing.

Bill

Agreed, and very good observation. This was one of the reasons I asked the question in the first place as I have seen both pitch settings,
but did not realize theres a different pattern between piston engines and turboprops. Now this all fits together. Turbos will feather all the
time when the engine is not operating, while piston engines have less strict rules but most probably would use a fine pitch for practiacal reasons.

I knew why I ask such questions around here.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 11
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 8:26:09 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

Did that flight for real about 2 weeks ago in a single engine Cirrus SR22. With all the modern gear on that plane, the pucker factor crossing Bass Straight is still about 7. I have no idea how those guys flew their aircraft with no modern navigational equipment off aircraft carriers in the middle of the Pacific. Their pucker factor must have been off the charts.
Regards
Andrew

Andrew, wow you don´t know how much I envy you for such an experience, pucker factor included.

I think I can imagine how it feels though, I have flown airplanes and if I use FSX I try to recreate the situations
as immersive as possible. Still planning for pilots license in the near future, but I have to live by "first things first" rules,
and a licence is terribly expensive to gain and maintain in Europe. USA and Australia, where you still have use for people
with a PPL, is much different.

Where did you make landfall? It looks like NE coast but I cannot really find your position when the pic was done.
Those meanders always change shape, so google maps is not really reliable.

This is how NE coast of Tasmania looks in (a well tuned) FSX just after sunrise. I crossed Bass Strait with Flinders NDB as waypoint,
but the last leg from Flinders Island to Yarram is a huge area of water, always a weird feeling in a single engine.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 12
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 8:39:43 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Where did you make landfall? It looks like NE coast but I cannot really find your position when the pic was done.
Those meanders always change shape, so google maps is not really reliable.

HA!, Skip that, is it Sawyer Bay, East of Smithton?

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 13
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 8:48:46 AM   
CT Grognard

That's Sawyer Bay, just east of the Detention River mouth.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 14
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 8:52:16 AM   
CT Grognard

Here's a Google Map image with the approximate direction of the photo.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 9:04:49 AM   
LoBaron

Yeah, noticed it too.

I used Smithton as a base for trying out the OrbX Tasmania freeware.
Roughly the same area, my screenshot is a bit to the Southwest of Smithton, YSMI.
Looks pretty real.

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 4/9/2012 9:06:48 AM >

S**t happens in war.

Post #: 16
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 9:54:35 AM   
Reg

On the topic of prop pitch when parked see this link: http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Gies/3103.htm

Also page 4 of this link: CASA Safety Magazine Sep-Oct 2001

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 17
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 9:56:53 AM   
aoffen

You got it exactly. It wasn't exactly first land fall but it was the first place we took a photo so I took some poetic licence. The map below is the flight path we took for the day. It was a pretty spectacular flight and as you saw the weather was fantastic.

The only experience I have of flying in Europe was one flight 2 years ago from Denham near Heathrow to Le Touqet (?) in France and back. Great fun but man it was expensive. I told the lady I didn't want to buy the plane just rent it. She didn't think I was at all funny...strange.

The best place to get your licence is in the US. It is way cheaper and so much more aviation friendly there. Our yankee pilot friends don't know how lucky they are. Unfortunately the Eurocracy seems to be closing that option down, so the future for GA in Europe isn't so rosy.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 18
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 10:52:17 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

On the topic of prop pitch when parked see this link: http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Gies/3103.htm

Also page 4 of this link: CASA Safety Magazine Sep-Oct 2001

Yeah, I have read of that incident. The pilot must have been anywhere with his thoughts but for sure not related
to the checklist.

"How do you prefer your plane, Sir?"

"Neat, slim slices, please. With clean edges."

"Understood, Sir, so fine pitch it is. Release parking brakes...."

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 19
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 12:00:20 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Empire101, sadly no. Its one of my dreams but I guess without winning in the lottery the planes I own will remain virtual.
Still interesting to visit all the places important in WitP AE and so WWII. Teaches you much about the geography
of those places. The three pics below are from todays crossing of the Bass Strait from Tasmania to Yarram, Australia.

What a great idea!! Now why can't I think laterally like that?

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 20
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 1:12:59 PM   
michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

Regards
Andrew

Whats the dark area near the river mouth? Silt buildup or pollution?
Seems to be too 'precise' to be natural.

Michael

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 21
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 1:44:14 PM   
aoffen

Thats the reason for the photo. It looked really weird. I think its actually tanin from the river water. Most of the rivers in Tassie seemed to be very dark because of all the tanins leaching into the water from the trees.

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 22
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 6:51:59 PM   
jetjockey

quote:

Bill

Bill,

The ATR (perhaps the Dash-8 and others as well) will normally shut-down with the props feathered. All of the turboprops I am familiar with will shut-down with the props at a flat pitch though. Residual oil pressure will drive the props flat during shut-down so that the props can "sit" on a prop-lock. The flat pitch reduces drag during engine start. I'm not sure a turboprop can even be started on the ground with the props feathered (never tried). The ATR is a different beast though. I'm not Typed in the ATR but I have heard that the props are not directly tied to the turbine (via a reduction gear assembly) as other turbo-props are. Rather, the ATR's props are tied to a separate shaft and turbine (think tube within a tube) allowing engine start independent of prop rotation. Check out www.airliners.net; cool site.

Brian

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 23
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/9/2012 9:16:52 PM   
LoBaron

Thanks, jetjockey.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to jetjockey)
Post #: 24
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/10/2012 8:31:17 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: jetjockey

quote:

Bill

Bill,

The ATR (perhaps the Dash-8 and others as well) will normally shut-down with the props feathered. All of the turboprops I am familiar with will shut-down with the props at a flat pitch though. Residual oil pressure will drive the props flat during shut-down so that the props can "sit" on a prop-lock. The flat pitch reduces drag during engine start. I'm not sure a turboprop can even be started on the ground with the props feathered (never tried). The ATR is a different beast though. I'm not Typed in the ATR but I have heard that the props are not directly tied to the turbine (via a reduction gear assembly) as other turbo-props are. Rather, the ATR's props are tied to a separate shaft and turbine (think tube within a tube) allowing engine start independent of prop rotation. Check out www.airliners.net; cool site.

Brian

The Lockheed Electra/Orion is the exact opposite....

Attachment (1)

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to jetjockey)
Post #: 25
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/10/2012 8:32:15 AM   
Reg

For comparison: Dash-8

Attachment (1)

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 26
RE: OT - Prop Pitch when Parked - 4/11/2012 9:45:52 PM   
AcePylut

Fine pitch for sure.

Starting it "full open" is like trying to move a stick shift car from 0 mph... in third gear.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT - Prop Pitch when Parked Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI