AP:Operation Star - Review

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
Vasquez

AP:Operation Star - Review

Post by Vasquez »

henri51

RE: AP:Operation Star - Review

Post by henri51 »

A good review. easily translated into English using Firefox's translating ability. The review gives a rating of 81%, with every aspect very positive except for the interface, which is rather confusing. In particular, the review says that the AI is pretty good (I can't say for myself because I got slaughtered in every try so far with the demo).

One thing I did notice in almost all (if not all) of the video reviews of this game is that all of the missions seem to take place at night. This may be due to the high computer requirements of the game. I have a high-end system, and I did notice that when the whole map is displayed, doubling or tripling the game clock has no effect to speak of. However since the tactical sub-battles cover only a fraction of the map, I could increase the game speed by 4-6 times when nothing of interest (i.e. I was not in the process of being clobbered) was going on.

Henri
henri51

Post by henri51 »

There is another review at "http://www.eurogamer.dk/articles/2012-0 ... anmeldelse", also in German. It is a review of the addon campaign Sokolovo, where the Soviet side was actually Czech troops. The review gives it a rating of 9 and heralds the disappearance of the "squares" on the strategic map in favor of "points" I am not sure how this works, but OTOH I am not overly familiar with the original game either) . The reviewer regrets the absence of any significant manual but indicates that this game may be the best tactical WW2 game available.

The reviewer also suggests that the producers get a good writer fluent in both English and Russian. I would add that this person should also be able to understand the game. Usually games this good would have tons of volunteers writing tutorials and AARs, but the complex UI so far seems to have limited the size of the player base.

Henri

PS: Another really good review by Stone with plenty of graphics is at "http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12 ... ation-star"
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Here the translation via google. Weird as always but you will get the point. Ive tweaked the rating a bit. I added one more point to the interface, since you can get used to it pretty quick.

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl ... tar-REVIEW
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Thanks. Well done.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”