Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using ARDs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Using ARDs Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using ARDs - 4/6/2012 5:19:54 PM   
hbrsvl

Hi-Scen.9, 5/14/43, Allies, v ...r9. What is best use for ARDs? My first one has just departed Victoria for Midway. I have 2 OBBs- West Virginia and California still in PH. The float damage is 63 and 62(both in the red). One has 0 sys damage, the other in the 30s. Estimated repair time is 507 for W.Va, 476 for Calif.

After reading 14.2, I understand that ARDs can repair major Float damage. I'd really like to get these BBs to the US mainland. Should I send the ARD to Pearl?

Comments, please.

Thanks, Hugh Browne
Post #: 1
RE: Using ARDs - 4/6/2012 5:27:31 PM   
Sardaukar

ARD can repair smaller amounts of major float dmg, but note that only ships whose tonnage is smaller than ARD capacity will fit in. So most are best for emergency repairs for smaller ships. Most ARDs cannot take BB. And PH has repair yard, so ARD would be bit pointless there.

You can make pretty good forward sub base in Midway or in Aleutians (I think Adak I. can be built up to lvl 7 port or so) by getting ARD, AR and AS into same base.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 2
RE: Using ARDs - 4/7/2012 3:00:32 AM   
jmalter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar
You can make pretty good forward sub base in Midway or in Aleutians (I think Adak I. can be built up to lvl 7 port or so) by getting ARD, AR and AS into same base.

took awhile, but i managed to withdraw the small Dutch ARDs to small ports in North Oz, along w/ some repair ships & float-plane support. now i've got functioning sub-bases & a reasonable DEW-line of patrol-plane bases, out of range from air-attack (until the AI finishes reducing Sumatra).

took me awhile to figure out ARDs, they just need to be disbanded in a supplied port in order to lend their float-repair ability to any ship (smaller than the ARD's capacity) that needs it.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: Using ARDs - 4/7/2012 6:09:27 PM   
crsutton

Behind the lines out of bomber range but close enough for emergency repairs on damaged ships. Larger ports are better. I find them redundant if used in a base with a repair yard. Very useful things for the Allies.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 4
RE: Using ARDs - 4/8/2012 5:51:26 PM   
hbrsvl

Hi-Thanks to all that answered. A ?. How do the ARDs work? Does the player put a ship into the ARD? If, as one of you stated, you have to disband the ARD TF, how are repairs accomplished?

This ARD has a lift capacity of 55K tons. Can you put 2 or more smaller ship-DD,DE, etc. into the dock at the same time?

Comments, please. Thanks HB

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: Using ARDs - 4/8/2012 9:23:16 PM   
John 3rd

Being too lazy to pull up a current turn, may I ask where one sees the tonnage limit for an ARD?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 6
RE: Using ARDs - 4/8/2012 11:00:32 PM   
Mundy

Right in its regular stats screen -- bottom right.

Ed-

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: Using ARDs - 4/9/2012 12:51:44 AM   
jmalter

hi HB,
best i can tell, a disbanded ARD automatically lends its repair capability to any disbanded ship in the port that needs its services, up to the limit of its tonnage capacity, if the damaged ship is in pierside or repair-ship mode. there's no way to assign a ship to an ARD, nor does it seem possible to load supply onto it - a suspect its supply cap is only a handy place for 'remembering' its tonnage capacity for game-engine purposes.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 8
RE: Using ARDs - 4/9/2012 1:45:46 PM   
hbrsvl

jmalter(and all)- Thanks. I'll see if it works the way you mentioned. HB

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 9
RE: Using ARDs - 4/9/2012 3:19:37 PM   
Sardaukar

And..you can manually assign ships to it from repair screen, since ARD is "Repair ship".

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 10
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 1:58:58 AM   
John B.

Old topic but new question. I have an ARD disbanded in a forward base. But, it does not seem to be repairing flotation damage on ships that are well within its lift capacity. When I set the ship repair to repair ship, for example, the repair time is set in red and no flotation damage has been repaired in 14 days or so (ship is at 6 flotation). Am I doing something wrong? The only thing I see is that the ARD has 1 flotation damage itself and 8 systems damage presumably from it's cross sea journey. Do they need to be in perfect shape before they're useful?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 11
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 2:32:32 AM   
BBfanboy

The ship must be IN the dock for the floatation damage to be repaired. And of course, capacity cannot be exceeded so if you already have a ship in the dock ...

EDIT: I see you already tried assigning to "Repair Ship", so do you also have an AR at the base. You might have to use the "manage ships in repair" screen to select the ARD?

Don't know the answer about the ARD damage . Best review Alfred's ship repair guide.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 5/25/2016 2:36:58 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 12
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 2:36:49 AM   
John B.

I'm not sure how you put it "in the dock." It only gives me the pierside option when I stand the ship I wish to repair down. It does not give me repair ship or drydock or ARD as an option.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 2:40:48 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

I'm not sure how you put it "in the dock." It only gives me the pierside option when I stand the ship I wish to repair down. It does not give me repair ship or drydock or ARD as an option.

Then the damage to the ARD must be preventing it from functioning.

Here is Alfred's Ship Repair 101 link:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2990845

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 14
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 2:43:49 AM   
nashvillen

BBfanboy has it. The ARD has to be fully repaired to work.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 1:50:29 PM   
VukyTzar

I have always loaded my ARDs with supplies... Are supplies required for ARD to repair?

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 16
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 2:20:40 PM   
John B.

Perfect. Thanks for all of the tips!

(in reply to VukyTzar)
Post #: 17
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 4:20:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: VukyTzar

I have always loaded my ARDs with supplies... Are supplies required for ARD to repair?

You must be confusing with ADs or AVDs. AR and ARDs cannot load supplies.

(in reply to VukyTzar)
Post #: 18
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 5:51:41 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Undamaged, disbanded ARD used only for flotation repair on one ship at a time.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <) A Lion uses all its might to catch a rabbit

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 7:35:12 PM   
Bullwinkle58

The thread eventually got to the right answers.

Additionally, I believe Michael put new code in a recent beta patch to report exactly which ship, by name, is in each ARD when one is in the ARD. Anyway, it's there, and I don't recall it being there before. In aopeationsreport.txt

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 5/25/2016 7:37:15 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 20
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 7:42:36 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Additionally, I believe Michael put new code in a recent beta patch to report exactly which ship, by name, is in each ARD when one is in the ARD. Anyway, it's there, and I don't recall it being there before. In aopeationsreport.txt

I think it was put in because there were some issues with them even getting used when ships were set to Repair Ship. We also got some info that ARDs will add 100 repair points per turn, but I've noticed in tracking one of my repairing ships that it's gaining more like 125-130 points per turn - so either it's getting assistance from the ship crew, or other factors, in addition to the ARD or the ARD doesn't add just a flat 100 points. I've also noticed that the repair priority matters. On High priority, the ship was only getting around 70 points per turn. On Critical, it's getting the 125.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 21
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 8:33:35 PM   
jmalter

Ughfortunately, it ain't possible to assign a specific ship to ARD repair, one must depend on the game-engine's 'repair manager' to do the right thing.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 22
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 8:39:17 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

Ughfortunately, it ain't possible to assign a specific ship to ARD repair, one must depend on the game-engine's 'repair manager' to do the right thing.

If the port has no ARs, but only an ARD, setting one ship to Repair Ship-type repair should put it in the ARD 100% of the time. When there is an AR, as in some of the Marshalls major bases, I have sometimes put the ARD at a nearby dot hex, and moved ships there one at a time to fix the float, then a hex back to fix the rest pierside. That lets the AR contribute its repair points to the pierside effort without complicating repair manager efforts to figure out what gets the ARD.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 5/25/2016 8:46:38 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 23
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 8:40:32 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

I think it was put in because there were some issues with them even getting used when ships were set to Repair Ship. We also got some info that ARDs will add 100 repair points per turn, but I've noticed in tracking one of my repairing ships that it's gaining more like 125-130 points per turn - so either it's getting assistance from the ship crew, or other factors, in addition to the ARD or the ARD doesn't add just a flat 100 points. I've also noticed that the repair priority matters. On High priority, the ship was only getting around 70 points per turn. On Critical, it's getting the 125.

I always set my ARD ships to Critical. Just always have. Haven't noticed any odd point differences, but I don't track them either.

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 24
RE: Using ARDs - 5/25/2016 9:03:39 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

I always set my ARD ships to Critical. Just always have. Haven't noticed any odd point differences, but I don't track them either.

After Michael said the 100 point thing, I got curious because my casual check-ins on the ships under repair didn't seem to point to that being the case.

Post #: 25
RE: Using ARDs - 5/26/2016 12:24:36 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

If the port has no ARs, but only an ARD, setting one ship to Repair Ship-type repair should put it in the ARD 100% of the time. When there is an AR, as in some of the Marshalls major bases, I have sometimes put the ARD at a nearby dot hex, and moved ships there one at a time to fix the float, then a hex back to fix the rest pierside. That lets the AR contribute its repair points to the pierside effort without complicating repair manager efforts to figure out what gets the ARD.

Great idea Bullwinkle! If I ever get an ARD I will use your method.

Post #: 26
RE: Using ARDs - 5/26/2016 3:01:57 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Great idea Bullwinkle! If I ever get an ARD I will use your method.

To be clear, this was more useful pre-Michael's beta patch fixes on ARD assignment. But it's still an organizational tool if you like tidy.

The Moose

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 27
RE: Using ARDs - 5/26/2016 4:07:50 PM   
BBfanboy

I am not running Beta so it will be useful!

Post #: 28
RE: Using ARDs - 5/26/2016 4:13:46 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Not only useful, but it will prevent a bug where your ships won't use the ARD at all.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 29
RE: Using ARDs - 5/26/2016 4:17:29 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

Not only useful, but it will prevent a bug where your ships won't use the ARD at all.

Yep. And it's not that easy to notice all the time. The beta is your friend.

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Using ARDs Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI