Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pinning Enemy Force in Combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Pinning Enemy Force in Combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pinning Enemy Force in Combat - 4/6/2012 1:53:53 PM   
Raskal

I am relatively new to playing this game and am enjoying it. I do have a number of questions about how things actually work behind the scenes and inside the game system, so to speak. Some of these may be explained by a more careful reading of the rules, although I have spent quite some time pouring through these.

But here is a situation that comes up quite frequently in combat. Suppose I have a large Union force in an area that is adjacent to a second area that I wish to occupy that has few defending CSA forces. This second area is adjacent to a third area with a sizable CSA force. And that third area is either (i) adjacent to the first area with the large Union force or (ii) adjacent to yet another area that has a considerable Union force. (Hopefully this is clear.) Assume all Union forces have the necessary initiative.

If the Union player were simply to move his large force into the second area, the CSA force would react move into it and thereby quite possibly prevent the Union force from taking that area. My question is this. Is there anything the Union player can do to "pin" the CSA force to prevent most or any of it from react-moving into the area the Union player wishes to take?

For example, could the Union player split his large force in two, sending half into the area with few CSA defenders and the other half into the area with the sizable CSA force (or send another adjacent Union force into that area), knowing the Union is not likely to win this combat but still somehow preventing most or any of the sizable CSA force from react-moving into the area the Union player is seeking to occupy?

My experience suggests that the game system does not allow this kind of tactic, but maybe I am missing something in the system that I could exploit. Two related questions are, how does the game system determine the order in which combat in different areas is resolved, and how does having participated in combat in one area affect a defending force's ability to subsequently react-move into combat in a second area?

Thanks to anyone that makes it through this long post.
Post #: 1
RE: Pinning Enemy Force in Combat - 4/6/2012 10:12:41 PM   
Treefrog

quote:

But here is a situation that comes up quite frequently in combat. Suppose I have a large Union force in an area that is adjacent to a second area that I wish to occupy that has few defending CSA forces. This second area is adjacent to a third area with a sizable CSA force. And that third area is either (i) adjacent to the first area with the large Union force or (ii) adjacent to yet another area that has a considerable Union force. (Hopefully this is clear.) Assume all Union forces have the necessary initiative.

If the Union player were simply to move his large force into the second area, the CSA force would react move into it and thereby quite possibly prevent the Union force from taking that area. My question is this. Is there anything the Union player can do to "pin" the CSA force to prevent most or any of it from react-moving into the area the Union player wishes to take? Perhaps First consider an overrun if you have 6:1 odds; that solves the problem.
Second, look up the rule on units exiting a region with enemy troops. If the reaction force is in an area that you can move troops into, then at the trouble of generating a separate battle you may be able to prevent the CSA reaction force from exiting that region; remember that cavalry have different criteria for exiting than infantry/artillery.
For example, could the Union player split his large force in two, sending half into the area with few CSA defenders and the other half into the area with the sizable CSA force (or send another adjacent Union force into that area), knowing the Union is not likely to win this combat but still somehow preventing most or any of the sizable CSA force from react-moving into the area the Union player is seeking to occupy?

My experience suggests that the game system does not allow this kind of tactic, but maybe I am missing something in the system that I could exploit. Two related questions are, how does the game system determine the order in which combat in different areas is resolved, I have never seen this process described, and I was a beta tester, I would assume it is random and how does having participated in combat in one area affect a defending force's ability to subsequently react-move into combat in a second area? A force cannot both defend and move during the reaction phase because combat does not begin until all reaction movement is completed. A "kindofa" exception is that if a defender is subject to overrun and is retreated during the enemy movement phase (when overrun combat takes place), then it would be available for movement during it's side's subsequent reaction movement.Thanks to anyone that makes it through this long post.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to Raskal)
Post #: 2
RE: Pinning Enemy Force in Combat - 4/7/2012 2:08:37 PM   
Raskal

These are helpful observations, thanks. I hadn't used the "unit info" option before re-reading the Overruns section of the rules, and I was always guessing (usually grossly underestimating, for one thing forgetting about generic militia) how much attacking strength was needed to achieve an overrun. Perhaps most importantly is recognizing that all reaction movement occurs before any combat occurs in any region in the combat phase, and that it is possible to roughly calculate how many friendly forces a player needs to send into an enemy occupied area to prevent those enemy forces from react-moving. It further appears that this calculation is not dependent on the vagaries of "commitment." Thanks again.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Pinning Enemy Force in Combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI