Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unable to Move to Manasass

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Unable to Move to Manasass Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to Move to Manasass - 4/4/2012 10:47:43 PM   
jscott991

So, I don't quite understand this game as well as I thought.

Can someone explain why the units in the attached screenshot can't move to Manassas?

Of the units with red arrows, only McClellan, Mansfield, and a cavalry commander can move. Besides getting the red arrow, what does it take to attack?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 4/5/2012 4:14:54 AM   
Treefrog

I am 2500 miles from my game and rules, but units cannot move into a region because they either entirely lack initiative (not the problem here) or lack the MPs for the region in question.

Check the MP entry cost. The ones I recall are:
1 mp to move across the Long (railroad) Bridge Washington City to Manassas
+1 mp because the you are crossing on a bridge into an enemy controlled region
+1 mp to enter into an enemy occupied region.

Either I have forgotten some (very likely) or you jave sufficient MPs but can't so you may have a glitch. Glitches sometimes come up in the game where units that have the available MPs just don't get to move into the area. To fix a glitch just save the game, upload the save and continue playing.

You can test the number of MPs by just moving an "empty" general or the cav across the river. If the remaining number of MPs are 4, then it only cost 3 to enter; if the remaining mps are 3, then it cost 4 to enter and that is your answer.

Although unhistoric for early war period, you may consider consolidating your artillery with an infantry commander that has an artillery capability of 2. Adding this capability to the 2 MPs inherent with field artillery, that gives such a formation 4 mps, enough to cross from Washington City to Manassas.

Good luck.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 4/5/2012 1:30:18 PM   
jscott991

I'm not at home so I can't test this at the moment, but it can't really be the artillery's fault because McCall, Viele, Tyler, and others have no artillery and still could not move to Manassas. And why would Mansfield (only infantry) be able to do so but others cannot?

Edit: Winter is adding +1 MP cost, but I still don't get why Mansfield can move.

I tried saving and reloading several times because I was aware of the bug (which calls into question the pronouncement that this game requires no further patches) and that did not work.

I feel like there is a good game here, but I'm having trouble getting at it.

By the way, what are the white numbers on the map? Plus, what would cause my units in Washington to suffer attrition? Those are minor questions next to my complete inability to move, but I'm curious.

< Message edited by jscott991 -- 4/5/2012 2:14:03 PM >

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 4/6/2012 5:08:15 AM   
Treefrog

I'm not at home so I can't test this at the moment, but it can't really be the artillery's fault because McCall, Viele, Tyler, and others have no artillery and still could not move to Manassas. I am not suggesting that artillery is the problem, I was merely suggesting that you lump them into an artillery reserve under the best currently available general with artillery capabilityAnd why would Mansfield (only infantry) be able to do so but others cannot?

Edit: Winter is adding +1 MP cost, but I still don't get why Mansfield can move. Check the movement on the back of the manual (or inside PDR manual you access through the game). I have forgotten if the +1 is during regular movement or only during reaction phase. But if the move you have cut and paste on this forum is a winter move, I'm pretty sure you need 4 MPs to move across the Long Bridge. The reason Mansfield can move is that he has 4 MPs, while the other infantry leaders have only 3 MPs.I tried saving and reloading several times because I was aware of the bug (which calls into question the pronouncement that this game requires no further patches) and that did not work.

I feel like there is a good game here, but I'm having trouble getting at it. Did you play the tutorial on movement? It helpsBy the way, what are the white numbers on the map? The white numbers are the remaining railroad capability for that region. USA starts at 75 per region; if raided and track burned once it goes to 37, if twice to 0. If it goes to zero you can repair it fully but only get 37 the turn of repair.

Plus, what would cause my units in Washington to suffer attrition? Every land combat unit is subject to attrition as I recall (although perhaps not field or heavy artillery; check the rules on that.

Those are minor questions next to my complete inability to move, but I'm curious.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 4
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 4/6/2012 2:41:00 PM   
jscott991

I did all the tutorials, but I must have missed the problem.

The issue was that if you add a unit to a commander with initiative, he will not be able to move into hostile territory.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 5
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 4/6/2012 10:01:34 PM   
Treefrog

"The issue was that if you add a unit to a commander with initiative, he will not be able to move into hostile territory."

Yes, if you add a unit the initiative bonus doesn't apply anymore.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 6
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 3/1/2013 7:26:05 PM   
jimb55

i have had the same problem, not just at Manassas, but all over the map. i read the manual, done the tutorials, opened helpdesk tickets. Nothing helps.

has your issue ever gotten resolved?

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 7
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 3/5/2013 3:13:51 PM   
Joel Billings

As stated above it could be one of many things. It could be that the leader doesn't have the MPs to move in winter over a river into an enemy controlled hex. It could be you attached a combat unit during the turn to a leader, thus reducing it's MPs. It could be the artillery value of the leader is not sufficient compared to the infantry value and having artillery is slowing down the leader and units. It could be that you just aren't getting initiative with your leaders (you should have 4 army leaders all in different areas with several non-army leaders that all start the turn with units attached. Having 2 TCs, one in St. Louis and one in Washington can help a lot (although you may not have enough leaders at the start to have 2 TCs). If you have a save where you think the leader should be able to move into an enemy territory and they can't, you can email it to 2by3@2by3games.com and I'll take a look and get back to you directly.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to jimb55)
Post #: 8
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 3/5/2013 4:59:18 PM   
jimb55

i've got all this...2 TCs in STL/Wash, 4 army commanders, etc...
below, please note i am speaking only of tactical moves, strategic moves are unaffected. Cavalry is relatively unaffected...can still raid and scout. Problem affects infantry/artillery.

for unit commanders, i can detach artillery/infantry...doesn't help (this move or following moves). It seems every turn unit commanders start out with 1 movement point. Initiative doesn't seem to matter. Only leaders with no attached units can move -- but that seems to defeat purpose doesn't it. Winter, of course, renders the board motionless. And what's the sense of having artillery if one can't move it to scene of action.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 9
RE: Unable to Move to Manasass - 3/10/2013 4:23:50 AM   
Joel Billings

Artillery is intrinsicly faster than infantry, so the artillery rating can be one lower than the infantry rating for the artillery not to slow down the formation. Ideally you want 3 inf/2 art leaders as they provide 4 MPs when the leader gets initiative. A 3inf/1 art will only get 3 MPs, which is not enough to cross rivers and move in winter (neither are 2 inf leaders). The problem is in 1861 you don't have many good leaders, so don't expact to do much then. The best you can really hope for is to perform some amphibious operations against the Atlantic or Gulf coast, or to move in the west. Don't minimize the importance of the amphibious operations to get you a few points to offset what you lose over time. I don't remember the specifics of operations in Kentucky, but you can often get in there and find some areas to move. Once 1862 rolls around, you should have build your army up and gotten some better leaders, and then you can start making some bigger moves.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to jimb55)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Unable to Move to Manasass Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI