Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:14:31 PM   
Arnhem

Hi gents,

PoW has been disbanded in port for a while now to repair damage sustained in battle, she was awaiting her turn to enter the shipyard when I noticed a spike in system damage, this spike occurred while was disbanded in port. I've checked through the ops reports and combat events but nothing seems to mention why PoW got damaged the way she did, can anyone shed some light? attached the last 5 most recent turns

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:21:41 PM   
geofflambert

If she was due an upgrade, the upgrade will appear as damage needing to be repaired.

(in reply to Arnhem)
Post #: 2
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:23:15 PM   
dr.hal

My PoW never lasted long enough for an upgrade!

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:27:31 PM   
Arnhem

Upgrade is off in this instance, besides upgrade damage won't spike to this degree.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:27:49 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arnhem

Hi gents,

PoW has been disbanded in port for a while now to repair damage sustained in battle, she was awaiting her turn to enter the shipyard when I noticed a spike in system damage, this spike occurred while was disbanded in port. I've checked through the ops reports and combat events but nothing seems to mention why PoW got damaged the way she did, can anyone shed some light? attached the last 5 most recent turns

I don't know the answer to your quesiton, but can you explain the "Speed" column's entries? They don't seem to indicate disbanded in port.

The Moose

(in reply to Arnhem)
Post #: 5
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:31:52 PM   
Arnhem

No idea moose, she definitely wasn't going anywhere the past couple of turns.

I've checked Tracker's logs for other ships, they do show the speed like the above, I think it indicates the max speed of the ship based on the damage, at least that's what I infer from looking at other damaged/undamaged ships in and out of port.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 6
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:34:53 PM   
geofflambert

Wild guess, don't say what port it's in, but could there have been a cyclone come through?  That would be consistent with a lot of systems damage.

Post #: 7
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:39:12 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I've checked Tracker's logs for other ships, they do show the speed like the above, I think it indicates the max speed of the ship based on the damage, at least that's what I infer from looking at other damaged/undamaged ships in and out of port.

There's no change in Engine status or damage between 0 knots and 26, or 23. The change between 26 and 23 might be more interesting and illustrative, than between 0 and the others.

The Location is blacked out. Is it the same in all rows in Tracker?

If upgrading is off the table it sometimes happens that a Search or ASW air mission will drop on a target and it does not make the comments sections. Usually this is FOW stuff. But it would be a vanishingly small chance that a bomb could do 42 point of Sys damage and no other damage of any kind. I realize this is a BB, but you should have something, even some fires, if there had been an air attack.

Are you sure there's no random occurence reports in the Combat Events logs?

Also, no Port attacks of any knid, surface or air? No Bombardments?

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 4/3/2012 9:41:49 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Arnhem)
Post #: 8
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:43:51 PM   
geofflambert

Maybe she's in Perth and they let some of those drunken Aussies on board. 

Post #: 9
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 9:53:11 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Interesting. I just opened Tracker and looked at my game. I had never used the History sub-tab in the Ships master tab before. It looks as if you're correct and the Speed column is max possible speed for the ship's status. For ships in a TF it seems to always read 0, and if disbanded it gives the ship's own max. Looking at some of my disbanded ships' sub-tabs I only get Speed changes when there is a materiel condition change such as repaired Engine damage, etc.

The port she was in wasn't taken by the enemy by any chance? If not in Pier repair she could have sortied with the minor damge shown before the spike.

If none of the possibilities I've mentioned are the case I'm stumped.

The Moose

(in reply to Arnhem)
Post #: 10
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 10:00:40 PM   
Don Bowen

There can be damage to ships under repair. Check your Ops Reports.

Post #: 11
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 10:15:40 PM   
Alfred

Further to Don's post, read s.14.2.1.3 of the manual. Whilst it refers to catastrophic events which can cause complete destruction, I wouldn't be surprised if the catastrophic event might just stop short of total destruction.

Alfred

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 12
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 10:15:45 PM   
Dan Nichols

Section 14.2.1.3 maybe

Post #: 13
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 10:49:46 PM   
rms1pa

things like this happened during the war, mutsu had an explosion in port, a brit? dd fell over while being dry docked. a training flight aircraft hit a ca while trying to ditch (alcohol involved?).

the game seems to have a "stuff happens" script available for everything.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 14
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 11:23:42 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

There can be damage to ships under repair. Check your Ops Reports.

That's what I meant by "random occurence" in an earlier post. I just didn't know if every single type of random is reported in one of the main reports. Damage in port certainly happens in RL, especially in high tempo situations. Fires start in the laundry, some idiot shorts out a panel, hydraulics leak and cause all sorts of mayhem, etc. The jump in Sys damage here is pretty extreme, but it could happen.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 4/3/2012 11:25:34 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 15
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 11:34:54 PM   
Dan Nichols

Alfred beat me by 5 seconds.

Post #: 16
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 11:37:31 PM   
wdolson

The French cruise ship Normandie was in New York being refitted to be a troop transport when a welder started a fire. The entire ship was a write off by the time the fire was out.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 17
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 11:42:00 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The French cruise ship Normandie was in New York being refitted to be a troop transport when a welder started a fire. The entire ship was a write off by the time the fire was out.

Bill

Yep. I've seen some famous photos of the event. "Look" magazine I think. Major loss of capability at the time.

The Moose

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 18
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/3/2012 11:54:37 PM   
Don Bowen

The game is rather robust in it's damage "options". In fact, the section of the manual quoted above is a little sparse.

There is a random chance of damage during ship repair. That damage can be slight (an extra point or two), or significant. In the worst cases there can be collateral damage to the repairing facility. Messages are not generated for the minor stuff, but you can see it in occassional jumps in damage. You do get a message (in the ops report) for significant events, and additional messages if repair facilities are also (significantly) damaged. The additonal damage can result in loss of the ship under repair, or just a longer repair time to fix up the extra mess. Repair facilites are seldon destroyed (or sunk) but can take enough damage to seriously affect their ability to perform their functions. The damage to facilities depends on the repair method used (shipyard repairs damages shipyards, etc). You will sometimes see enough damage to degrade a port's general capacities (i.e. load rates).

The player has no control over this. It's like collisions and running aground. When it comes to naval warfare, ship (sic) happens.

Post #: 19
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/4/2012 3:10:59 AM   
geofflambert

Don't forget weather, I had an entire TF get the crap beat out of it by a typhoon, mostly systems damage but substantial flotation and engine damage. No enemy for 2,000 miles. Historically the Americans lost a bunch of destroyers in one of those. '45 I think near the Phillipines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 20
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/4/2012 5:30:48 AM   
Arnhem

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I'm aware that damage can occur whilst in port, it's just that something of this magnitude you kinda like to know what happened and none of the reports show anything remotely related to what happened to PoW. C'est la vie, I'll play the hand I've been dealt with. Thanks again all.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 21
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/4/2012 6:06:06 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

Alfred beat me by 5 seconds.

As good as a country mile.

Why, in the 100 metres at the Olympics, a 5 second winning margin, is ... like ... HUGE!!! Take that, Mr Bolt.

Sorry mate, I've been at your end too and it feels so ... good ... finding oneself on the right side of the ledger for a change.

Alfred

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 22
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/4/2012 5:12:31 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I'm aware that damage can occur whilst in port, it's just that something of this magnitude you kinda like to know what happened and none of the reports show anything remotely related to what happened to PoW. C'est la vie, I'll play the hand I've been dealt with. Thanks again all.

I've found that sometimes damage occurs to ships at sea or in port and I miss it. When I notice it I find it buried in an old Operations Report and I had just missed the message when I scrolled through it.

Can't guarantee that's what happened but a pretty good chance.

(in reply to Arnhem)
Post #: 23
RE: Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) - 4/4/2012 5:22:39 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

The game is rather robust in it's damage "options". In fact, the section of the manual quoted above is a little sparse.

There is a random chance of damage during ship repair. That damage can be slight (an extra point or two), or significant. In the worst cases there can be collateral damage to the repairing facility. Messages are not generated for the minor stuff, but you can see it in occassional jumps in damage. You do get a message (in the ops report) for significant events, and additional messages if repair facilities are also (significantly) damaged. The additonal damage can result in loss of the ship under repair, or just a longer repair time to fix up the extra mess. Repair facilites are seldon destroyed (or sunk) but can take enough damage to seriously affect their ability to perform their functions. The damage to facilities depends on the repair method used (shipyard repairs damages shipyards, etc). You will sometimes see enough damage to degrade a port's general capacities (i.e. load rates).

The player has no control over this. It's like collisions and running aground. When it comes to naval warfare, ship (sic) happens.

Thanks for the info. I have never noticed a repair facility damaged like this, but I can imagine the degree of boomski which might cause that. In peacetime it's normal to offload magazines before going in the yards, but not in wartime. Even in peacetime we kept warshots in the TR when we went in the ARD for a few days.

The Moose

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Unaccountable damage to disbanded ship (no CTG pls) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI