Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Infantry Gun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Infantry Gun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infantry Gun - 4/3/2012 3:24:26 AM   
FieldOfGlory

I recently upgraded to AT gold and have to say I am impressed with the upgrades to the random game. I love the new resorce system and all the extra setup options.
The factories have caused me to adapt to a whole new strategy for fighing the AI hoards. In particular I like the Gun factory. In the prevous version I rarely used the Infantry Gun or the AT Gun. But with the gun Factory I have come to love the Infantry Gun in particular. Placing 2 of them in every Infantry corps in my Army gives a significant boost in strength and they are remarkably good at surviving and gaining experence so long as you provide them with good air cover. It also has the added benefit of increased AT defence. Not as well as an AT gun would do, but they give my Infantry a bit of sting when enemy tanks come to attack.
The best thing the Infantry gun offers is when they have been upgraded to level 3 or higher and have there range is increased. Now they can double as additional light artillery. Expecially useful when you have an enemy city or fortress surounded. You can pound it with all the IG's that you have attached to your infantry corps for a couple of turns to soften it up before you assault. There are a god sent in that situation if you haven't any nearby artillery to help with the seige.

I have finally found a place in my Army for the Infantry Gun. Great work Vic!
Post #: 1
RE: Infantry Gun - 4/3/2012 3:29:06 AM   
AdamRinkleff

This really begs the question tho, whether you would be better off buying AT guns and artillery, and no infantry guns. I just can't see the point of it, when AT and artillery do what it does better.

(in reply to FieldOfGlory)
Post #: 2
RE: Infantry Gun - 4/3/2012 3:59:21 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Depends on what you looking to get out of them I suppose. I added the IG's to my Infantry to give them a bigger boost in Attack against other infantry units in addition to Mortars. As the game progresses and the production from core cities gets more and more strained with the need for supplies and and units that only core cities can produce. I found the ability to produce gun factories and add the extra power to my infantry units that can only be matched by mortars to be a great asset. It takes several mortars to equal the strenghth of just 1 IG and mortars can only be built by core cities. The fact that the can double as light artillery is just a bonus.
AT guns are the same price but dont seem nearly as useful and Artillery guns cost twice as much. I tend to build specialized Tank killing units. In my games it doesnt seem cost effective to put AT guns in every infantry corps I build when I seem to benefit so much more from IG's and artillery is just to exspensive to build in the same volume that I build IG's.
I tend to build high numbers of IG's, medium production of Arty's and light production of AT's

IMHO

(in reply to AdamRinkleff)
Post #: 3
RE: Infantry Gun - 4/3/2012 2:54:25 PM   
Josh

I agree with your perspective on Inf guns. First of all they were available at the time, so why not put them in the game, if only for flavor. Secondly, they really are killers and give your Inf units extra punch. Add even some Mortars, Mguns, AT guns and Bazookas and you have an Inf unit that does well *everywhere*. I find that placing some AT guns, at least 2, in an Inf unit stops the enemy armour cold, especially when you place that unit in forest/cities/hills.
You do realize that Inf guns use up supply as well, so it is possible to completely outproduce your core cities' supply production. I've had games where I had to shut down most of my factories because I couldn't produce enough supply. Ofcourse by that time the game is almost won.

(in reply to FieldOfGlory)
Post #: 4
RE: Infantry Gun - 4/3/2012 11:35:57 PM   
FieldOfGlory

Yeah that supply can become a real production killer. IG uses 6 plus 1 more for a horse to haul it around with. Makes it equal to about 3 1/2 Mortars in terms of supply consumption or 7 Infantry. Its not so bad really. Naval units on the other hand will kill you on supplies. There so bad I hate to even build them unless it is an absolute necessity.

I sometomes will spread out those AT guns in groups of 2 with my Infantry if I am being bombarded with enemy armor. Which does happen sometimes. I normally play on large map with 8 players all AI's are AI+.
So in a typycal Infantry army I would build 8 infantry corps each with 2 IG's and 2 or sometimes 3 Tank killers. Which I would put 4 AT's in and 10-20 Infantry in the tank killer corps. I move the tank killers around the line wherever they may be needed and have them fight stacked with the infantry corps. Never alone If I can help it. I only put in the 10-20 infantry with them for security In case they are caught out in the open and not stacked with an infantry corps. Most of the time it works pretty well as it allows me to concentrate a lot of AT guns in 1 or 2 places and not have to build quit as many as would be needed if I put 2 in every corps.
Once I feel my Oil production is High enough I to build an Armored army. 1 HQ and 4 corps usually. Each corps has 2 Light tanks and 2 medium tanks. Light tanks kill Infantry almost as good as mediums but use like half the fuel. The mediums are to give the tank corps some anti armor power. The AI seems to love throwing hoards of Armored cars and LT's at me and the medium tanks make mince meat out of them. Along with the AT guns I'm able to deal with hoards pretty well.

Now I'm rambling. I would be interested in hearing how other players use AT's and IG's though.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Infantry Gun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI