Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bristol Fashion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Bristol Fashion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:20:08 PM   
dwg

Okay, first try at providing new aircraft.

The Bristol Buccaneer was a torpedo bomber derivative of the Beaufighter developed by Bristol from May 1942. Using a new fuselage bringing the crew together in the cockpit area, the design was originally intended to use the unchanged wings and Hercules engine of the Beaufighter allowing comparatively rapid development and considerable production efficiencies, however concern grew late in the year that the design was running out of growth margin, in particular weight increases meant that the span had to be increased, meaning a new wing design and a decision was made to switch to the Centaurus-engined wing of the Buckingham, a decision which ultimately led to the design entering service as the Brigand TF.I, but only after VJ Day.

If the limited growth margins had been accepted and the weight kept down to allow the continued use of the Beaufighter wing, then the Buccaneer might have entered service rather earlier than the Brigand, early enough to see useful service. The initial anticipated first flight for the Buccaneer was November 1943, which would have given entry into operational service sometime in the late summer of 1944.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:22:45 PM   
dwg

Side profile:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 2
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:23:48 PM   
dwg

Top Profile:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 3
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:25:21 PM   
dwg

Top Alpha Profile:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dwg -- 4/2/2012 9:28:05 PM >

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 4
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:30:09 PM   
dwg

The Bristol Type 162 Beaumont was a bomber derivative of the Beaufighter, using a new fuselage, originally intended to be attached to Beaufighter wings. Development began in 1940, growing out of earlier 1939 ideas for a Beau-bomber and through the Type 161, and despite the design growing to the point that a new wing and undercarriage design was needed, production was authorised in November 1940, with first flight expected summer-autumn 1941, which would likely have led to service entry in late-spring to summer 1942. Unfortunately requirement-creep set in and, faced with requirements now specifying higher speed, bombload and range than the Hercules engines could support, Bristol were forced to completely redesign the aircraft around the more powerful Centaurus engines, eventually leading to the Type 163 Buckingham, which turned out to be an almost complete failure - too late, too large, too lightly defended.

But if requirement-creep hadn't set in, the Type 162 Beaumont would actually have been an entirely acceptable replacement for the Blenheim, and it would have been available at an ideal point to play a major role in the CBI theatre.

The initial requirements called for the Beaumont to be capable of high-altitude bombing, dive-bombing, and close-support(in an alternate version replacing the ventral barbette and bomb-load with two forward-firing 20mm), but the latter two roles later disappeared, expected to be covered by the Vultee Vengeance and the Brewster Bermuda, however it is likely that the close-support role, at least, would have been reinstated in a production aircraft, as was seen in the alternative high-altitude and close-support versions of the Blenheim V.

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 5
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:37:08 PM   
dwg

Beaamont B.I Details

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 6
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:39:58 PM   
dwg

Beaumont B.II Details

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 7
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:42:24 PM   
dwg

Beaumont B.I Side Profile

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 8
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:43:46 PM   
dwg

Beaumont B.II Side Profile

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 9
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:47:20 PM   
dwg

Beaumont Top Profile (Common to both variants)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 10
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:48:27 PM   
dwg

Beaumont Top Alpha (Common to both variants)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 11
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/2/2012 9:57:53 PM   
dwg

All the graphics are actually .bmps sailing under false colours, just rename them to use.

Stats are hypothesized from the Beaufighter and the few details on the Beaumont and Buccaneer that are given in British Secret Projects: Fighters and Bombers 1935 to 1950 by Tony Buttler, if anyone has any other sources, feel free to chime in!

(I'm away for the next 2-3 weeks, so I'll pick up any comments when I get back).

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 12
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/3/2012 12:59:51 AM   
oldman45

These would be a nice addition, thanks.

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 13
RE: Bristol Fashion - 4/3/2012 11:54:41 PM   
Dili

Weights weights weights!

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Bristol Fashion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI