Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Introducing NewRoSoft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Field of Glory Series >> Introducing NewRoSoft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Introducing NewRoSoft - 4/2/2012 12:20:27 PM   
Iain McNeil

Hi guys,

as many of you know HexWar have pulled out of Field of Glory development as part of a transition they want to make to non PC games. We wish them luck but obviously we can't let a successful game like FoG just wither and die. As a result over the last 6 months we've been looking for a team to replace them. It proved more complex than initially hoped because the source code for the game was all in Real Basic, an IDS that most developers won’t touch with a barge pole! We came to the hard decision that we could not use the current code base for ongoing development. Instead we are having to build the game from scratch in a new engine. Obviously this is a bunch of work and this is the bad news.

The good news is that we've appointed a developer to take on this challenge. The new team are NewRoSoft (http://www.newrosoft.com/index.php). They have a wealth of experience developing games on all formats. This experience will be invaluable for the future of Field of Glory. The thing that really sold us on NewRoSoft though was that the executive producer there is very experienced Tabletop and PC Field of Glory player. You may know him from the forums as Cothyso. This experience and love of the game will ensure that the game continues to be developed in a way that retains the playability and feel that has been the standard up to now. We'd like to say a big hello to the NewRoSoft team and welcome them to the forum and Field of Glory team. We know a number of people on the forum contributed to Field of Glory in various way with HexWar and we'd be happy to continue having them help going forwards so anyone interested in being involved should make themselves known to the NewRoSoft team.

The new engine will be based on Unity. This is a cross platform engine that means we can get PC and Mac up and running as soon as possible. The plan right now is to get the game to the point where we have a replica of the current game in the Unity engine. It may not be possible to exactly map 100% of the combat calculations and mechanics as they are currently coded but we will get something that is a very close approximation. We'll also be refining some parts of the UI or structure that are holding the game back. One example is that we plan to separate out maps and scenarios. This way a user can build a map, then set multiple scenarios on that map without the need to clear off the existing units. There will be various other tweaks and improvements included but exactly what those are will depend on how development goes. We expect this stage to take about 3-4 months but I have to stress this is an initial estimate and could be wildly inaccurate when we get deep in to the combat mechanisms and find issues we had not planned on.

Once the new engine is ready we'll be releasing at least 2 more expansions that are already well in production (Wolves from the Sea & Oath of Fealty).

We will probably have to release the new versions as a new installer that sits in a new folder rather than as a patch. Just to be clear - this new engine will be free to everyone who has the current game.

Once we have the game running in Unity we have a number of options that are still to be decided. We could look at doing an iPad and Android version of the game or we could look at making Field of Glory 2. We may even do both. The new engine opens up a wealth of possibilities that are not currently possible on the existing engine. It's a very exciting time for Field of Glory!

I hope you'll join me in welcoming Dan (Cothyso) and the NewRoSoft team!

For the latest up to date information please see the conversion over at the Slitherine forum, which is where the development team reside:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=84

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com
Post #: 1
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 4/2/2012 12:34:35 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Just to be clear - this new engine will be free to everyone who has the current game.

Glad to hear this. I had a little trepidation on this subject reading the Slitherine forums.

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 2
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 4/2/2012 1:14:14 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

I purchased all the expansions. Will I be able to use the current expansions in the new engine?

(in reply to KEYSTONE07950)
Post #: 3
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 4/2/2012 1:49:17 PM   
Iain McNeil

Yes, all existing expansions will work with the new FoG 1.0 in the Unity engine.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

Post #: 4
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 4/3/2012 4:16:13 AM   
sabre1

^That's good news!

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 5
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 4/3/2012 2:46:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Welcome aboard Dan!

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 6
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 4/4/2012 4:11:53 AM   
gamerincol

How will the AI be with the new engine?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 3/30/2013 2:14:42 PM   
Rtwfreak

It's been almost a year now since this thread so what's up with Unity and the new code?

(in reply to gamerincol)
Post #: 8
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 3/30/2013 7:45:17 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

Much more activity on the Slitherine Forum: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=33166&start=280

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 9
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 6/16/2013 7:22:02 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

From the Slitherine forum I see that testing continues. Hope we get the new engine soon.

Will it have Wolves From The Sea? I need Vikings.

Also, I want to see the Bronze Age in the game. Egyptians vs Hittites vs Mycenaeans. Oh Yeah!

< Message edited by KEYSTONE07950 -- 6/16/2013 7:32:35 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Introducing NewRoSoft - 9/16/2013 2:27:49 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

No real news from the Slitherine Forum except that work continues on the new engine.

From what I can gather - Wolves from the Sea and Oath of Fealty are the two new projects. I really hope they add the Bronze Age armies to the mix.

This NEW FOG has been going on for quite some time. I'm getting a little concerned it may never see the light of day.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Field of Glory Series >> Introducing NewRoSoft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI