Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mine warfare and the AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Mine warfare and the AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mine warfare and the AI - 4/2/2012 1:24:49 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Good evening, I have some questions related to AI and mines

Does the AI use minelaying submarines?
does it uses normal minelayer cruisers?
does it tries to sneak submarines into the player's harbours?

I have not advanced too far in the game (Japan vs AI), but I haven't hit a mine yet... and want to assess how much effort to put into defensive mine warfare

thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Mine warfare and the AI - 4/2/2012 1:46:46 AM   
Captain Cruft

I don't think the AI uses mines at all. Could be wrong though.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: Mine warfare and the AI - 4/2/2012 2:19:26 AM   
Don Bowen

The AI uses all mine assets it has. Watch out - it likes to mine your ports (including rear area ones vis submarine).

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 3
RE: Mine warfare and the AI - 4/2/2012 4:00:32 AM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

Aye, the ai uses mines and does indeed sneaky stuff with its subs.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 4
RE: Mine warfare and the AI - 4/2/2012 6:37:59 PM   
Gridley380

Playing as the Allies, the Japanese AI always seems to mine Singapore at some point, and usually Bataan. You WILL loose ships to offensive minelaying unless you are both careful and lucky.

Remember that you start with some good minelaying assets yourself, though not much in the way of replacement mines. IMO if you don't lay several minefields in the DEI you're doing something wrong.

Having a couple of AMc on patrol often draws in IJA/IJN strike aircraft that could be hitting much more valuable targets.

(in reply to Gräfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 5
RE: Mine warfare and the AI - 4/2/2012 6:40:47 PM   
pompack

Also both sides have a large number of otherwise useless coastal minesweeper craft that can park on your bases and at least tell you when they find mines. Just be sure they are not docked since they only sweep when they are not tied up at the dock

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 6
RE: Mine warfare and the AI - 4/2/2012 6:51:44 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

Also both sides have a large number of otherwise useless coastal minesweeper craft that can park on your bases and at least tell you when they find mines. Just be sure they are not docked since they only sweep when they are not tied up at the dock

Yeah, it has always bugged me that ACM carry out their mission only while disbanded (i.e. 'anchored'), but AMc, AM, etc. must be in a TF to sweep.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 7
RE: Mine warfare and the AI - 4/3/2012 1:02:45 AM   
kbfchicago

Gridley - assumed that is because the minesweepers will occasionally take system and other damage when sweeping, more so when they find actual mines...apparently a fairly hazardous occupation on a small boat or at least more so than tending known mine locations.  Maybe there's someone on the forum who's done some reading on these ops and can lend some facts and references...

Jorge - x2 AI campaigns Allied vs IJ, saw more early war use vs. later war by IJ AI.  Definitely been burned at Manila/Bataan...lead the Sir Robin 9 Dec retrograde with a sweeper!  Since I've not looked closely at total IJ mine production may be they have less stocks on hand after '42ish driving the decline in activity.  Since the Allies don't have that issue as IJ vs Allied AI I'd keep on guard.  In PBEM now vs IJ...very much enjoying dropping a few "presents" for my IJ foe in unsuspecting locations.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 8
RE: Mine warfare and the AI - 4/3/2012 3:02:46 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

Gridley - assumed that is because the minesweepers will occasionally take system and other damage when sweeping, more so when they find actual mines...apparently a fairly hazardous occupation on a small boat or at least more so than tending known mine locations.  Maybe there's someone on the forum who's done some reading on these ops and can lend some facts and references...

yeabut ... ACM disbanded in harbor doing their thing also blow up all to frequently due to "mine handling accident". Same logic could apply to the minesweepers and save a lot of micromanagement.

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Mine warfare and the AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI