Mine warfare and the AI

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jorge_Stanbury

Mine warfare and the AI

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Good evening, I have some questions related to AI and mines

Does the AI use minelaying submarines?
does it uses normal minelayer cruisers?
does it tries to sneak submarines into the player's harbours?

I have not advanced too far in the game (Japan vs AI), but I haven't hit a mine yet... and want to assess how much effort to put into defensive mine warfare

thanks

Captain Cruft

RE: Mine warfare and the AI

Post by Captain Cruft »

I don't think the AI uses mines at all. Could be wrong though.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

The AI uses all mine assets it has. Watch out - it likes to mine your ports (including rear area ones vis submarine).
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Aye, the ai uses mines and does indeed sneaky stuff with its subs.

Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

Playing as the Allies, the Japanese AI always seems to mine Singapore at some point, and usually Bataan. You WILL loose ships to offensive minelaying unless you are both careful and lucky.

Remember that you start with some good minelaying assets yourself, though not much in the way of replacement mines. IMO if you don't lay several minefields in the DEI you're doing something wrong.

Having a couple of AMc on patrol often draws in IJA/IJN strike aircraft that could be hitting much more valuable targets.
pompack

Post by pompack »

Also both sides have a large number of otherwise useless coastal minesweeper craft that can park on your bases and at least tell you when they find mines. Just be sure they are not docked since they only sweep when they are not tied up at the dock [:D]
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

ORIGINAL: pompack

Also both sides have a large number of otherwise useless coastal minesweeper craft that can park on your bases and at least tell you when they find mines. Just be sure they are not docked since they only sweep when they are not tied up at the dock [:D]

Yeah, it has always bugged me that ACM carry out their mission only while disbanded (i.e. 'anchored'), but AMc, AM, etc. must be in a TF to sweep.
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

Gridley - assumed that is because the minesweepers will occasionally take system and other damage when sweeping, more so when they find actual mines...apparently a fairly hazardous occupation on a small boat or at least more so than tending known mine locations.  Maybe there's someone on the forum who's done some reading on these ops and can lend some facts and references...

Jorge - x2 AI campaigns Allied vs IJ, saw more early war use vs. later war by IJ AI.  Definitely been burned at Manila/Bataan...lead the Sir Robin 9 Dec retrograde with a sweeper!  Since I've not looked closely at total IJ mine production may be they have less stocks on hand after '42ish driving the decline in activity.  Since the Allies don't have that issue as IJ vs Allied AI I'd keep on guard.  In PBEM now vs IJ...very much enjoying dropping a few "presents" for my IJ foe in unsuspecting locations.
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

Gridley - assumed that is because the minesweepers will occasionally take system and other damage when sweeping, more so when they find actual mines...apparently a fairly hazardous occupation on a small boat or at least more so than tending known mine locations.  Maybe there's someone on the forum who's done some reading on these ops and can lend some facts and references...

yeabut ... ACM disbanded in harbor doing their thing also blow up all to frequently due to "mine handling accident". Same logic could apply to the minesweepers and save a lot of micromanagement.

Return to “The War Room”